• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Destiny

Picked up a used one of these just before the snows hit - it bombs.

My TP Destiny is 169g, and I am beginning to really like this disc. Goes as far as my Terns, if not farther. Feels like a Speed 13 in the hand. I'd give the numbers for my noodle arm as 13,6,-3,2.5. It will turn over, especially in a headwind, but it fights back better than even my 167g Champion Tern. I have never thrown a Katana before, but I can imagine the Katana is like the Destiny.

oh, ya, you should give the Katana a try. Honestly that's what I always think of when I throw my Destiny, but I think (my) Destiny is a little more understable at high speed.

Katanas are the other disc I can think of that has such wicked fade for the fact that it has so much turn at high speed.

grain of salt here, I havent picked up a new katana in 2.5 years so I dont know what current runs are like, but I think you'd like it.

To me a Destiny is a far better distance driver than the Katana. Katanas aren't as glidey, and have a far sharper fade. The Destiny is a straighter flier.

I'd compare the Destiny more to a Vulcan than a Katana.

To me a Destiny is a far better distance driver than the Katana. Katanas aren't as glidey, and have a far sharper fade. The Destiny is a straighter flier.

I'd compare the Destiny more to a Vulcan than a Katana.

Sounds like the Katana might be a better disc in the wind... though I am actually thinking of digging out my DX Destroyer and F2 Star Destroyer to see if I've improved enough to use them into the wind.

I have an F2 Star Vulcan and a GStar Vulcan. I was surprised how "not understable" the Star Vulcan was at first. And it wasn't comfortable to throw. Now both the Star and GStar Vulcans are flippy for me.

The Destiny is on its way to making my bag...

I've thrown just about every model driver there is, and I'd put the Destiny top 3 in terms of overall distance. It's a straight bomber with tons of glide.

Its literally the perfect combo of neutral stability and great glide.

Have many of you thrown a catalyst? I think its the disc probably most like a destiny. I have not thrown the destiny, but last year was throwing Ballista's, until I lost them and now I have a catalyst which BOMBS. It is a bit less stable than the Ballista. If thrown right when it comes out of its high speed turn it has a long forward fade giving it extra distance. Been considering trying a destiny against it.

For me (I am an old guy who maxes out at 350ft) the Destiny is pure gold. I had a TP Giant and TP World in my bag that I never knew how would fly. Sometimes stable sometimes under-stable. Mind-boggling stuff really (I now bag a consistently over-stable Elasto Giant though). But the Destiny is so controllable. In back-wind or left or right wind it flies straight, far and fades little. In head-wind it needs to be hyzer-flipped with 60% power and then it will glide out in a gentle S-curve. Put simply it goes very far, and is consistent. I am sure high-power players will benefit from using the Destiny too if the just reduce the power, because this guy can gliiiiiiide.

I have seen nothing on smart disc in a while. There's this email address for smart disc info and support on the Westside.fi site. Last time I tried to inquire, Janne replied saying nothing more than `subscribe to the DD newsletter for information on new releases in the US.'

Smart disc department and support:

[email protected]

In other Westside strangeness, Im not seeing much BT plastic at Finnish sellers right now. Pretty much just the same stuff we get in the US (putters..) Would be great if the Finnish department store exclusivity agreement came to an end and we started getting more of it here. Stock has always been a little dodgy, so there may be nothing to it, but would be cool if anyone had some info.

I have seen nothing on smart disc in a while. There's this email address for smart disc info and support on the Westside.fi site. Last time I tried to inquire, Janne replied saying nothing more than `subscribe to the DD newsletter for information on new releases in the US.'

Smart disc department and support:

[email protected]

In other Westside strangeness, Im not seeing much BT plastic at Finnish sellers right now. Pretty much just the same stuff we get in the US (putters..) Would be great if the Finnish department store exclusivity agreement came to an end and we started getting more of it here. Stock has always been a little dodgy, so there may be nothing to it, but would be cool if anyone had some info.
Are they seasonal with production usually? It's not disc golf weather for good chunks of the year over there, right?

Are they seasonal with production usually? It's not disc golf weather for good chunks of the year over there, right?

Discs are in production year round there, but you may be on to something in that stores there may be seasonal in what they stock. Probably no different than sporting goods stores stateside. Late winter/early spring they stock up on bats, gloves, golf clubs, etc whereas in the late summer/fall that stock is diminished in favor of more football, basketball, and hockey gear.

As to the "smart disc" stuff, keep in mind that Westside didn't "break" that news. It was a random find of the FCC application, and then a random find of the video about it, that put that info into the world. For all we know, Westside was years out from doing anything concrete with that stuff and had no intention of making it public until they were ready for release, which might be never.

For what it's worth, they made no mention of it when they let us (sponsored team) know what to expect in 2017 release-wise, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the tech to come out any time soon.

I have seen people post that this disc is longer than Terns and with at least as much glide. Question for you-what wind are you using this in? Weight/plastic?

I have seen people post that this disc is longer than Terns and with at least as much glide. Question for you-what wind are you using this in? Weight/plastic?

I think mine's 171. It's opto plastic, or whatever Westside's equivalent is called. Clear, champion like plastic.
Maybe a day this week I'll pull my Destiny and a few Terns out to a park and do some distance tossing. The few times I've thrown the Destiny I was astounded by it though. Absolute bombs.

Last edited:

My Destiny is in Tournament plastic and is 169g. My Champ and Star Terns that I bag are 167g each.

I've thrown the Destiny and the Terns in varying amounts of winds, and in headwinds, tailwinds, and L-R and R-L crosswinds.

I dont bag terns, but i've been throwing a champion in the 170s on the field. For me, the Destiny (tournament 169) is longer, in fact its no doubt the longest disc i've thrown. I don't really trust it in a serious headwind or sidewind though..

The glide is absolutely phenomenal, and I can get a great S flight out of these.

I dont bag terns, but i've been throwing a champion in the 170s on the field. For me, the Destiny (tournament 169) is longer, in fact its no doubt the longest disc i've thrown. I don't really trust it in a serious headwind or sidewind though..

The glide is absolutely phenomenal, and I can get a great S flight out of these.

When you say its the longest disc, longer than your Tern, what are your flat ground golf distances? When you say sidewind, you mean left to right?

I don't know if it helps but I think it's going to depend on your power level in terms of how this one flies. I use this as a forehand driver and I'd say I can get it out to around 330 consistently give or take. I do put it on a decent amount of hyzer to get there. It does go far for me and probably the only disc that I've thrown over 350 on flat ground.

I've been working hard on my backhand but probably only consistent to about 285, feeling close to a breakthrough though! :) On the days that I might be throwing 300-320 it does have a pretty good right pull if thrown flat. I'd say if you throw 350+ this would be pretty understable. I can't compare to a Tern but it's more stable than Discraft Thrasher, less stable than a Lucid Escape if that helps.

Regarding wind, that's a tough call. It's not going to be a wind fighter but I don't feel it's terrible. I'm not as worried about it as I am with my Thrasher... if that helps any...

Latest posts