• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Gatekeeper - Midrange

Honestly though that shape really looks good to me. If it is like a Compass but with a bit more glide/range to it so I can throw it as far as every other mid then I would really like to try one. I have never owned a Compass, but every time I have tried one they had a fantastic trusty flight, but have always felt a little short to me for some reason. And that's coming from someone who usually throws all mids within like 10' of each other.

There's so many good mids out there right now that you can really find whatever you want in a plastic you like for the most part.

Right there with you! I had a chance to throw the Gatekeeper a few times this morning in an indoor facility and I really liked it. I used to throw the Buzzz and I think the feel of the Gatekeeper in hand is pretty similar. My main midrange for the past two years has been the Warship and I've kinda been missing a slightly more overstable version for a moderate headwind. I think this is it. It reminds me of a fresh Opto Compass with a reliably straight flight and a moderately overstable finish. Whereas the Compass always felt a little slow for my taste, I think the Gatekeeper is just right. I think it fits nicely in between Warship and Pine (or Verdict).

Right there with you! I had a chance to throw the Gatekeeper a few times this morning in an indoor facility and I really liked it. I used to throw the Buzzz and I think the feel of the Gatekeeper in hand is pretty similar. My main midrange for the past two years has been the Warship and I've kinda been missing a slightly more overstable version for a moderate headwind. I think this is it. It reminds me of a fresh Opto Compass with a reliably straight flight and a moderately overstable finish. Whereas the Compass always felt a little slow for my taste, I think the Gatekeeper is just right. I think it fits nicely in between Warship and Pine (or Verdict).

That sounds really good. I throw Verdict/Core, and the Core I don't trust for out in the open or really throwing hard...or ranging. I like Truths when I try them but I worry that I don't have a wide distance window with them because they also really get out there and will cruise past shorter targets.

Just looking at the profile comparisons of the Gatekeeper I kind of expected it to fly how you described, so that could be a great option.

Something between Pine and Warship sounds okay to me. I'm not sure my Pines would break in enough to fill that slot but I haven't thrown them enough to find out either. I like options though, options are always nice. Bard - Gatekeeper - Sling for the bigger arms, Pine - Warship - Tursas for the slimmer arms.

Paige Pierce throws a Gatekeeper on hole 16 of the final round of the 2019 Ledgestone Insurance Open, and it looks ... a bit flippy?!

I thought Gatekeepers were supposed to be stable.

Paige Pierce throws a Gatekeeper on hole 16 of the final round of the 2019 Ledgestone Insurance Open, and it looks ... a bit flippy?!

My TP one has some turn, but not like that. I've heard one of the LE runs is less stable though.

Not only did the thing flip, but she expected it to do that - it wasn't a shank. Parked the hole.

Bit of a headscratcher for me, as the Westside mids are a tad crowded at the moment it would seem. Did they make an announcement as to what they are taking OOP ala Dynamic?

Not only did the thing flip, but she expected it to do that - it wasn't a shank. Parked the hole.

Bit of a headscratcher for me, as the Westside mids are a tad crowded at the moment it would seem. Did they make an announcement as to what they are taking OOP ala Dynamic?

No announcements yet.

For mids, I predict that the Anvil, Harp, Bard, Warship, and Tursas are safe (some of these are very safe).

But, based on sales, the Gatekeeper, Pine, and Sling are questionable. If the Gatekeeper is a middle of the road stability mid, with some particular runs like Pierce's disc at the Ledgestone Open, then it overlaps with the Pine and/or Sling. I could see one or two of these last three going OOP.

I don't throw many Westside molds right now, but it would be a shame to see many of them go OOP, just because the stamps are often awesome. I particularly like the Swan, Boatman, and World stamps. Not that I think any of these three are in danger of being discontinued; just once again opining that I think Westside's stock stamps are the best in the business.

Had to dig this one up.

VIP-X and Special Edition are in the bag currently.
Any other Gatekeeper fans?

Big fan of this mold, I find it true to the numbers and love the clean release it has (especially on forehands). Seems to retain some fade while losing HSS as it beats in.

I have too many and not enough. I think I've got at least one in every plastic: BT Hard, BT Hybrid, VIP/-Xs, Tournament/-X.

Running a VIP-X, 2017 Challenge, and Stinchcomb BT Hybrid atm.

Had to dig this one up.

VIP-X and Special Edition are in the bag currently.
Any other Gatekeeper fans?

Looks like a good enough disc, but I think most people find a couple midrange molds they like and then don't feel the need to keep testing out new ones. I actually have a Gatekeeper sitting on my shelf that was a gift and has never been thrown, because I just can't imagine it doing anything that isn't already covered by my Emac Truth cycle. Gatekeeper was likely just a bit too late to the party to get much love.

Gatekeeper is alright. Make some more Pines and we'll talk about a nice mid :D

Big fan of this mold, I find it true to the numbers and love the clean release it has (especially on forehands). Seems to retain some fade while losing HSS as it beats in.

I have too many and not enough. I think I've got at least one in every plastic: BT Hard, BT Hybrid, VIP/-Xs, Tournament/-X.

Running a VIP-X, 2017 Challenge, and Stinchcomb BT Hybrid atm.

There we go! I feel this. We're the only VIP-X the glimmer ones with no writing on them?

Looks like a good enough disc, but I think most people find a couple midrange molds they like and then don't feel the need to keep testing out new ones. I actually have a Gatekeeper sitting on my shelf that was a gift and has never been thrown, because I just can't imagine it doing anything that isn't already covered by my Emac Truth cycle.

This is true in my experience, re: settling on midranges. People seem to shuffle putters and drivers around but not mids. Gatekeeper's more in line with the slow/traditional mids like the Roc/Comet, takes a higher/putter line as opposed to the low/driver of an Emac. Stability and fade are similar though.

Make some more Pines and we'll talk about a nice mid

I actually used a Pine as a "overstable" Gatekeeper for awhile. Only stopped because I picked up a Nikko T-X (way more stable than any other 'Keeper run)

We're the only VIP-X the glimmer ones with no writing on them?

I think there's only been the one run of V-X, which are the big stamp glimmers in white/pink/purple/turqouise

Gatekeeper is alright. Make some more Pines and we'll talk about a nice mid :D

I freaking love Pines. I only have three left in my stash. I have no idea what to replace them with, everything I've tried is either too beefy or too straight. Gatekeepers are decent, I should give them another shot.

This is true in my experience, re: settling on midranges. People seem to shuffle putters and drivers around but not mids. Gatekeeper's more in line with the slow/traditional mids like the Roc/Comet, takes a higher/putter line as opposed to the low/driver of an Emac. Stability and fade are similar though.

I actually used a Pine as a "overstable" Gatekeeper for awhile. Only stopped because I picked up a Nikko T-X (way more stable than any other 'Keeper run)

I think there's only been the one run of V-X, which are the big stamp glimmers in white/pink/purple/turqouise

Have you compared the VIP-X to Nikko Tournament-X?
I have the VIP-X

Nikko T-X will start flexing out of an anny at about two-thirds of the distance a V-X will and the flex itself is faster

Fade's about the same between the two but the glide is lower on the Nikkos

Latest posts