• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Giant

more turn and less fade than my VIP giants.

The world, for me, flew like a slightly faster, slightly worn tourney giant

I've only thrown one a few times though, so yeah... sample sizes and such.

got to throw my tourny giant at little yesterday. as stated, it seems to have a very workable OS flight path. i look forward to throwing this in better conditions. kind of a shame that most the colors ive found have been pretty chitty, lots of uggo hues, for tourny plastic.

I love my tourney gaint for my fh shots that have to come back. Mine is gold with a red spamp I think it looks sweet.

I am a huge fan of the giant and now bag 3 of them. I have a a 171 TP Giant that I have had for over a year and has seasoned to have some turn when I throw it forehand and it just stays straight backhand. I also throw a 172 VIP Giant that is seasoned too. It is definitely more overstable than my TP. Love it forehand but only throw it backhand into a headwind. Finally I carry a 174 VIP (Vipunen). Thing is almost new and a beast. It is in the middle of kicking the Nuke OS out of my bag. This is the best FH disc I have ever thrown and when this disc seasons it flies like a destroyer. Great mold that doesn't get enough love.

Speaking of not getting enough love, this thread has been dead for quite some time. Let's talk about the giant some more. :) does it cut a headwind better than a beefy, domey destroyer? I assume it only has slightly more distance potential? How quickly will it beat to bomber status with almost daily play?

I have yet to beat a VIP Giant into a true bomber, even with a year plus of play. I really like the VIP Air Giant for bombs though. It is more of a beefy Destroyer type disc, in my experience.

The VIP Giant I bag is what I call "controllable beef". It fights a headwind but even at my arm I can use it for distance duties with no problem. It's a fantastic disc that pairs nicely with the Sorcerer in my bag.

Sounds like my super domey pink destroyer. At 560' it's got some turn. I was not throwing it, it was something to see. Think a giant would cut the wind better? I'm thinking about seeing if they could replace my destroyers with time. Think they have more distance potential overall? More glide? Destroyers are pretty glidey.

Well, European discs are known for their glide so I would have to give the edge to the Giant in that regard....but not by a whole lot.

With your distance, I think the Giant could very well replace your Destros. If you get a chance, pick up a VIP and a TP. I'd be interested to see how you like them. They are made for big arms for sure.

I think the two are fairly similar. I was using the Giant as my headwind distance driver that I could crank flat to slight anny and never worry about it finishing left. Lately it just keeps going right. It def has D potential but i find the Destroyers easier to throw farther.

I think the two are fairly similar. I was using the Giant as my headwind distance driver that I could crank flat to slight anny and never worry about it finishing left. Lately it just keeps going right. It def has D potential but i find the Destroyers easier to throw farther.

aaaah . . . are you right or left handed? backhand/forehand?

meaning I could count on it to fade.

meaning I could count on it to fade.

haha, gotcha. that's what had me doing a double-take, thanks. hopefully they break in to have some good turn and still fade, but if yours is now just a long turnover disc, well . . . we'll see, i guess. i saw on DGR some people talking about how some westside discs would randomly get flippy instead of break in slowly so i guess i'm not too surprised.

i think the giant is the swedish destroyer. my good friend and i are able to swap my giants and his destroyers without missing a beat.

the orange one i got back in february is broken in really nice to where it can get some flip and turn. it can hold long straight flights and i could put a roller down with it if i needed to. i actually prefer to throw a vip sword over this though as it requires a little less touch.

i have an old vip that is puddle topped and while it certainly has some turn when thrown flat, it wont turn if it sits up from hyzer.

my sweet heart is a white vip. started off with a 0,4 flight and i used to throw it with some anhy for distance. at this point i can come off flat and get a nice S flight. in some headwind i can get a shallow anhy to hold 90% of the flight before it comes out and fades a little.

not sure i really had the power to put these to use in my previous years of discin but i wish i had picked one up regardless.

How do the air Giants fly? I just picked up a 169g VIP and wondering if a 157g would get better distance.

How do the air Giants fly? I just picked up a 169g VIP and wondering if a 157g would get better distance.

If the 157g is the same stability as the 169 then the lighter one will fly a little farther. Lighter weight discs fly farther, but stability is still important. The more understable one will always tend to glide farther. If the 157 molded up in shape a decent bit more overstable than the 169 then the 169 will glide farther. If you have never tried lightweight discs I would recommend trying them, they do act differently. I had a 159g boss so overstable that I just got not flip it unless there was a fast enough headwind yet it did not find the ground nearly as quickly as everyone expected it to. It was pretty fun to throw, and got some extra D.

i think the giant is the swedish destroyer. my good friend and i are able to swap my giants and his destroyers without missing a beat.

the orange one i got back in february is broken in really nice to where it can get some flip and turn. it can hold long straight flights and i could put a roller down with it if i needed to. i actually prefer to throw a vip sword over this though as it requires a little less touch.

i have an old vip that is puddle topped and while it certainly has some turn when thrown flat, it wont turn if it sits up from hyzer.

my sweet heart is a white vip. started off with a 0,4 flight and i used to throw it with some anhy for distance. at this point i can come off flat and get a nice S flight. in some headwind i can get a shallow anhy to hold 90% of the flight before it comes out and fades a little.

not sure i really had the power to put these to use in my previous years of discin but i wish i had picked one up regardless.

This is the same as mine. Don't get the wrong impression. It still holds in a headwind.

In my experience, the Giant is a decent amount more overstable than a Destroyer, but with proper seasoning (and the right form/arm speed) the comparison become more apt.

i went in to the store today and i only had the intention of looking; just looking i swear. :(

but i saw something and i had to bring it home with me.

behold, the incredibly overstable and FLAT bookend, the headwind penetrating mysterious wonder, my new giant. now i just need to hunt for regular ones. should be easy. ;) i bet this thing is like a stiletto or enforcer stability-wise. it actually stood ON TOP of all the other giants in terms of PLH. the rim was completely over the top of the other ones.

IMAG0128_zpsn3fnu8no.jpg

IMAG0133_zpstetdtvnl.jpg

IMAG0134_zpszo71owvy.jpg

that's my pink destroyer on the left - pretty beefy. notice how the giant doesn't leave the countertop until the shoulder starts. ridiculous.

it has literally NO DOME. none whatsoever. after the shoulder it is as flat as an MVP disc. i'm going to dye it fo sho. nice and perfect white color, shows a little darker in the pics. anyway, that pretty much solidifies it. this will be the headwind-beater my destroyers could never hope to be. all that's left is to take some time and be patient while the normal ones beat in. i may supplement with a more distance-friendly mold until then, but the stage is set.