• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Giant

how do these compare to the ape? I want something reliable into headwinds but with more glide than an ape. Much of what i'm seeing online indicates they are nearly identical but I would love if they had a bit more glide. Anyone thrown both?

Been awhile since I've thrown an Ape, but most Giants aren't as overstable as an Ape. There are certainly some beefy Giants out there that can compare. Giants have way more glide.

how do these compare to the ape? I want something reliable into headwinds but with more glide than an ape. Much of what i'm seeing online indicates they are nearly identical but I would love if they had a bit more glide. Anyone thrown both?

I'm no expert, but more Glide than an Ape easily.

I tossed my new Swirly Watermelon 168g Flat TP Giant both FH and BH today. I was sold on it very quickly. It's everything you want in an OS High Speed Driver workhorse slot. Good glide, Strong Fade that still travels somewhat forward, and very turn resistant into a Headwind.

Fights out of Anny FH lines quickly, goes pretty straight and then drives to the right (RHFH). On the course I had almost a 375 foot FH like this today, which is pretty far for me this early in the season, it easily 40-50 feet past the 168g Motion I threw on the exact same line.

Backhand it just bombs. You can rip without fear, you know its going left (RHBH), but its not a 2 ton brick. I was putting it about 20 feet past my Teslas today in the field, which again is pretty far at this point in the season for me. I typically don't throw the really OS fast stuff. This seemed very forgiving and as usual with Westside drivers, its just lighting fast getting up to speed.

I'd love to find one that has just a tag lower PLH for main distance throws, but the current one will probably season in nicely and I could just pick up a more OS one again in a few months.

you can find giants more or less OS than an ape. definitely more glide. it really depends, but the VERY OS giants are outside the norm.

I have two fresh ones in tournament plastic. Can't recommend them enough. I get some nice turn and then a solid fade. As far as compared to an Ape, no way are they as over stable. Giants have way more glide and you can cycle them nicely. I'd say it's more like a slightly faster, initially beefier destroyer.

thanks guys..sounds perfect. I'm looking for something in between a boss and an ape in my bag and this sounds perfect. I just picked up a couple VIP x outs so we will see. I'll report back

So I had one of my longest backhand drives today. Wasn't even really going for distance. I took my mid stable giant and just wipped it as hard as I could on an anny line. It just took off on a slight anny and pushed forward to around 475' then it started to come out at the very end. It was just short of 500 feet. I definitely think the wind was in my favor with that one lol.

you can find giants more or less OS than an ape. definitely more glide. it really depends, but the VERY OS giants are outside the norm.

Yup Giant has more glide and (i havent had a very OS Giant, yet) will hold a big anny longer. I pulled one out and surprised some people with how they hold a BIG anny at a tourney a few weeks ago.

Threw my faf giant today as an actual workhorse role. Those 20-30 mph sustained winds will do that. Threw it on a slight anny and it flexed back to end directly in front of me a little more than 350' out. Farthest I've ever thrown that disc, haha.

The only difference I see is that the matte tp typically have a very high plh, that's just from browsing gggt stock. *shrug* not paying 25$ per for that. That's current run stuff.

Someone tell me about matte white giants please. Apparently all the people on fb know way more about how amazing they are than I do.

They take awesome dye jobs. I got a spiffy shaving cream flag dye on mine. Flies like a typical Giant though...nothing special, really.

My white giant is nothing special as well. Its tp, I am not sure its matte though. I have seen a couple sell for fair amounts and have been throwing my blue tp. If anyone has an orange, pink or yellow to trade for my white, I would take it.

Someone tell me about matte white giants please. Apparently all the people on fb know way more about how amazing they are than I do.

So, I'm sure some will be upset about me revealing this secret, but oh well.

It's not matte white giants that are amazing, it's matte giants that are amazing.

There are a few other colors that are consistently the matte star like plastic. The reason why people prefer these is they are super OS and they have a lot of glide. Some of the other TP giants are as OS, but from my experience they aren't as OS or don't have as much glide. PM me if you want more deets ;)

^ I kinda thought that to be the case. I've seen a couple other colors.

Anyway, I finally got sick of not having a max d giant, manned up and really gave a super domey tp with a lower than usual plh a good beating in the parking lot today. Ground down the flash, scuffed and scratched up the top real good, tossed it straight down into the asphalt quite a bit. Thing looks like hell.

And wouldn't you know it, the only thing that happened was it now glides more and holds angles longer. No real turn for the big bombs. Mother****er. Definitely underestimated the hss of these things.

Last edited:
^ I kinda thought that to be the case. I've seen a couple other colors.

Anyway, I finally got sick of not having a max d giant, manned up and really gave a super domey tp with a lower than usual plh a good beating in the parking lot today. Ground down the flash, scuffed and scratched up the top real good, tossed it straight down into the asphalt quite a bit. Thing looks like hell.

And wouldn't you know it, the only thing that happened was it now glides more and holds angles longer. No real turn for the big bombs. Mother****er. Definitely underestimated the hss of these things.

Have you thrown the World?