• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Longbowman

-Completely disagree on westside discs having issues in wind. This is your form not the disc.

-The Giant is arguable the farthest flying wind fighting disc on the planet right now. I did a very exhaustive shoot out with the prodigy d1, innnova ape, and nuke os. The Giant edged all of them out in my testing.

What was the exhaustive shootout? How far? Lol...

I have done almost the same tests over last winter with 100+ throws and at least 2 discs from each mold but had Forces instead of Nuke OS and had Rasks and Stilettos also.

The Giant was often one of the longer discs but part of that is the wind made it turn a lot more and would occasionally turn over and not come back.

It was probably least OS as far as I can tell.

Giant is OS by definition...I always thought the flight was similar to a Star Destroyer. Elastos and, oddly, VIP Airs (the flat ones anyway) lean more to the truly OS side but they certainly arent meathooks.

Along that line: if the Longbowman has a similar stability with the control driver speed/distance, I think it'll be perfect. I preordered two at drastically different weights to see if they can compete with my PDs.

Two questions:
1) anyone have any info on what the rim of these is going to be like?
2) any Tournament plastic Longbowman up for preorder? Checked two retailers and all they have is VIP....

Giant is OS by definition...I always thought the flight was similar to a Star Destroyer. Elastos and, oddly, VIP Airs (the flat ones anyway) lean more to the truly OS side but they certainly arent meathooks.

Along that line: if the Longbowman has a similar stability with the control driver speed/distance, I think it'll be perfect. I preordered two at drastically different weights to see if they can compete with my PDs.

Two questions:
2) any Tournament plastic Longbowman up for preorder? Checked two retailers and all they have is VIP....

Dynamic did a Periscope where they showed the rim and profile, but as normal with Periscope, the video is gone now. They held it up against the Culverin and the rim was shorter and the nose slightly blunter/taller.

No TP yet for the Longbowman, just VIP.

Two questions:
To me the profile looked a lot like the Convict. Similar rather blunt rim and some shoulder.

At least in Finland also TP is supposed to be released on 4th of March so I don't see why it wouldn't be available in US at the same time.

To me the profile looked a lot like the Convict. Similar rather blunt rim and some shoulder.

At least in Finland also TP is supposed to be released on 4th of March so I don't see why it wouldn't be available in US at the same time.

Dynamic didn't receive any TP Longbowman, or if they did, they aren't making them available to retailers. I'm pretty sure it's the former, though. That latter just wouldn't make any sense.

I used to throw a VIP Giant and it's still the most OS thing I've thrown. Legend Outlaw and Icon Rampages both pale in comparison. Far more OS than a Destroyer, at least the VIP I had. VIP Air Giant I had wasn't anywhere near as OS, it was more on the Outlaw/Rampage axis, maybe slightly less OS than either of those if memory serves.

Cold weather plus thin air at elevation will make discs fly more overstable. So perhaps in Sweden or Finland, their numbers are accurate.

Cold weather sure, but what's this elevation thing people keep talking about in reference to Finland in particular :confused: ? It's not quite FAF like Denmark or Netherlands, but elevation, pfft, our highest "peaks", which are all way north where there are hardly any courses, are still like medium hills compared to the stuff in North America. Around my neck of the woods, FAF is a fairly accurate description.

Not even if I use my left hand... VIP King... -1 HSS, 4 LSF... More like -1000 HSS, 1 LSF!

Haven't thrown a Stag, so can't comment, but agree on the King. Granted, it was the longest throwing backhand disc I've had, around 7 times out of 10, it would surpass all others by 30+ feet, sadly, the other 3 out of 10 it would drift, drift and drift right some more, ending way off center, never getting any real fade. My friend still has a King, even on hard hyzer release, it more often than not ends up giving a lot of turn.

I LOVE my collection of Westside Elasto Sampos. I think they fly exactly like a 10/5/0/2 should. However, every single non-putter Trillo disc I've every tried outside of Lucid Trespasses have completely failed me. WAY more flippy than they claim, and I've lost more Trilogy drivers due to turning over right than any other disc in my 13 years of playing. They just HATE headwind and flex lines.

I'll take any Discraft, Prodigy, Innova group, hell, EVEN OVERMOLDS over 95% of Trilogy drivers. Even the "Overstable" World, King, and Villain can't handle wind or anhyzer. The Super OS (XXX, Stiletto, Justice) are somewhat true to numbers, but the Dynamic molds are the only ones that seem to have ANY comparison to their flight numbers. Otherwise, for Trilogy, add 30% understability and you may be in the realm of reality.

Have you tried the Northman? I find that one to be pretty reliable, I could never get it turn over. The King? For sure, but still a good distance driver.

Cold weather sure, but what's this elevation thing people keep talking about in reference to Finland in particular :confused: ? It's not quite FAF like Denmark or Netherlands, but elevation, pfft, our highest "peaks", which are all way north where there are hardly any courses, are still like medium hills compared to the stuff in North America. Around my neck of the woods, FAF is a fairly accurate description.

This is one of the reasons I really like trilogy. Living at 7k feet, theirs numbers are much more accurate.

So it looks like the highest point in Finland is just over 3,000' above sea level. For reference, there is a "mountain" in Kansas that is over 4,000'. The elevation excuse definitely doesn't fly.

But hey, if you like the way they fly, just ignore the numbers and go throw. Personally I love Opto plastic, and a lot of discs from the Trilogy.

Get over the numbers thing. I think there is enough info out there comparing disc to each other so that anyone can make an informed decisions. If you like the plastic, like the disc flight, or whatever you look for in a disc, buy it. Show me a disc company and I can probably find discs in their lineup that don't match "the numbers".

Get over the numbers thing. I think there is enough info out there comparing disc to each other so that anyone can make an informed decisions. If you like the plastic, like the disc flight, or whatever you look for in a disc, buy it. Show me a disc company and I can probably find discs in their lineup that don't match "the numbers".

Agreed.
In this case, I think the Longbowman will fly more like a fresh P-PD or maybe a lightly seasoned G-PD. Since thats what I throw (and one really OS Avery PD) I'm hoping I like this new disc.

Lots of discs fly in this general range...at this point, for me, its all about rim feel.

I've got an Opto like this, solidly OS like a good Destroyer that's seasoned into a good HW distance driver.
I used to throw a VIP Giant and it's still the most OS thing I've thrown. Legend Outlaw and Icon Rampages both pale in comparison. Far more OS than a Destroyer, at least the VIP I had. VIP Air Giant I had wasn't anywhere near as OS, it was more on the Outlaw/Rampage axis, maybe slightly less OS than either of those if memory serves.

I've found an Opto like this in the PIAS used bin I think that's precisely why it was there, lol. It is super beefy.

If i just didnt get a xXx and Saint pro recently this longbow man might have had a shot. i will wait a bit till i hear more from you guys on flights and feel and stuff.

I agree with VIP Giants. i have a max weight VIP for headwinds and OS in general, and am fond of the giant mold (now that i have the proper form and arm speed). but mostly i toss fairway/control drivers since there are only a few "bomber" holes where i play.

oh side note: 175 vip vs 169 bio enforcer and they flew the same (for me).

-Completely disagree on westside discs having issues in wind. This is your form not the disc.

-The Giant is arguable the farthest flying wind fighting disc on the planet right now. I did a very exhaustive shoot out with the prodigy d1, innnova ape, and nuke os. The Giant edged all of them out in my testing.

I'm just going by my experience. I don't have the same issues with any other discs turning over, unless they are specifically understable discs.

Granted, I'll be the first to admit that my form will always need improvement. It may be that Kings, Giants, Sorcerers, Swords, Worlds, Hatchets, Flows, Rivers, and Renegades just show form errors more. I have had good success with the Metalflake Trespass, Sampo, and Saint, but most other Trilogy drivers get far more turn that any other manufacturer in my experience. (which is a lot)

I did also bag a Sorcerer and a Sword for a while. The Sword was great for big air and big flex lines, and the Sorcerer flew like nobody's business! Such a far flier for me. However, it was so much more understable that I prefer to throw. I can get more control out of a disc that will fly straight and predictable instead of something that will catch wind and flip, or if released with too much anhyzer just hates to fight back to flat.

Again, I'm not denying my form's contribution, but after 13 years of playing and trying almost every disc on the market, I can say that Trilogy drivers are exclusively the most understable discs when compared to their flight ratings when they leave my hands.

Sorry to ruffle feathers here, wasn't my intent.

And as the old adage goes, use what works for you!

TRILOGY DISCS = Thicker flight plates.

commonly known as: "Swedish glide"......

(and they make great molds for lower spin players)

I'm gonna buy this just because I like the name and stamp so much. Then i'm gonna throw it and if I don't like it it'll be on the marketplace for you hooligans...

Really a win/win/win for everyone here...

I only just realized that this is a 1.8mm rim driver while the Culverin is 2.0mm so in reality they look nothing alike. Even the feel of the two is substantially different.

Now I'm starting to think if there is your Trilogys Teebird-PD combo. :)

Latest posts