• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Sword

How far are you throwing them? If you are unable to get the Tern up to speed then it will not flip and the discs will likely behave the same.

I FH my Swords to 425' on a daily basis with very little turn, while I have seen Terns, flip up from a hyzer release, turn, and never come out at 325'.
Agreed, there is a power issue here. I'm not a big arm by any stretch of the imagination (350' or so), and have both a Sword and Tern in my pile of discs that I bought and am waiting to "grow into". I have however tossed both discs on the course and in field work, and don't feel like they're anything alike. For my power the Sword feels like the infamous "longer Teebird" It's straight, and dumps left at the very end of it's flight. It has decent glide and will handle a moderate headwind. The Tern gives me a little turn right before coming back, glides for days, and hates a headwind. I'm releasing both discs fairly flat BTW. As I said, I am aware I don't have the power or consistency to throw either of these discs yet, but I don't see them overlapping at all once I hone my technique.

Swords and Terns are quite different. I wouldn't say they are as much as Jax11 may have experience, but definitely different.

Terns have quite a bit more turn than swords.

VIP swords don't really turn until they are seasoned. Terns has HSS right out of the box.

How far are you throwing them? If you are unable to get the Tern up to speed then it will not flip and the discs will likely behave the same.

I FH my Swords to 425' on a daily basis with very little turn, while I have seen Terns, flip up from a hyzer release, turn, and never come out at 325'.

I only throw about 350. Both discs fly os for me.

I only throw about 350. Both discs fly os for me.
Are both brand new? My Tern is fairly fresh, and gives me a little high speed turn with similar power to you. My Sword on the other hand is somewhat beat in, and still is pretty stable for me. It was very OS in the beginning.

Has anyone else happened to find a Sword that was flippy right out of the box? The first one I bought (dark blue, TP) is this way, and while I disliked it at first because it wasn't what I was looking for, I've since come to LOVE it. The two Swords I've bought since then have been much more stable, and I love both of those, too.

Anyway, I'm now dreading losing the flippy one. I've never had an understable distance driver I've loved so much or felt so in tune with. I'm considering buying a few lighter TP Swords to see if I can find one with similar characteristics, but I think it would be pure luck if so. Any thoughts?

Are both brand new? My Tern is fairly fresh, and gives me a little high speed turn with similar power to you. My Sword on the other hand is somewhat beat in, and still is pretty stable for me. It was very OS in the beginning.

Both new. Sword is 167 vip. Tern is 160 champ. I have other discs I throw so much better, so I just don't use them at all. I'm hoping in the future [when I get better] that I will have more use for both of them, because there real nice discs.

I have a 172 VIP that is pretty new. It is a little understable at 400 but it's good for long hyzerflips. my buddies who only throw 300 love it as a go to distance driver.

I picked a couple up at tournies the last few months, both are 170's and Tournament plastic. Pearly Silver one is pretty straight with a fade at the end. I have been getting huge D with this guy. The other new one I have is pearly teal VIP and its fairly overstable. Not quite a beefy as my VIP Blue one, but noticeably more overstablestable than the others.

My most recently purchased 167 g sword was the most overstable and gummy sword I have ever owned. Holding onto this one to use for the Winter winds. I have been mainly throwing my air sword, the rest have been shelved for the time being.

My Sword is new to me, but bought used. In its current state, I use it on holes where I need good distance, but no chance of going right as well as a decent hook at the end. Something my Terns and Renegades can't promise.

Still tossing my VIP sword at 175g. When I got it the thing was pretty darn OS for me. It hooked hard, and I was still new to the sport so I really shouldn't have been throwing it at first. On a whim I tried it with FH, which I can generate way more torque with. It flew straight as an arrow with little fade once I got it up to speed with a FH throw. If thrown low and with enough speed, mine stays straight as an arrow and hardly has any fade. If I throw it on a hyzer it stays on a hyzer. If I throw it on a annie it will flatten back some, but mostly continue with the annie line. That's for my FH throws.

For my BH throws it certain acts a bit more stable, but not as much any more as it is seasoned a bit. It certainly does drive for a nice distance though regardless. One of my main goto drivers when I want something very long and very straight or will stay on a slight hyzer when tossed on that line.

I have five swords purchased lately....a 174 dark blue vip that started out perfect, has worn into a little flippy but still nice.

A 171 clear pink vip that started out the most stable of six I have owned, it has broken in just recently to a really nice straight line with moderate fade driver for the 400 ft. plus range.

A newer 170 red tp that flies just like the dark blue 172 tp I lost recently...really far lazer beams when newer and can easily hold huge annhyzers with a mild fade out at the end if thrown high...they both flip up from deeper hyzer angles quite easily which can be good but I don't love sometimes.

Finally a 174 yellow metalflake vip that I just got recently from a tourney, it actually had a surprising amount of turn out of the box it seemed, but I have only thrown it a few times on two rounds so it may just have been some oats creeping in!

All the plastic has been really nice in general and they seem to be molding up well....

I love my swords! Have 4 in the bag at the moment:

169 Blue TP - Oldest one in the bag and the most seasoned. Still pretty stable
170 Orange VIP - Newest one. Gummy and pretty OS. My main FH disc right now.
165 Yellow VIP (Finnish Stamped) - Broken in, my main RHBH distance driver. Love this disc! Flies long and straight, dumps left at the end. It will still handle a headwind.
159 Orange VIP AIR - Feels and looks just like my other VIPS, but is surprisingly the most OS one of the 4. I get really nice S curves out of this one.

finally got my hands on a sword a week ago and i really like it,this one has more turn than i remember them having originally. not a bad thing! this thing booms easier than my wraiths do.

I bought a 173g Tourney Plastic in a very pearly light blue today. It is GORGEOUS. But its more than just pretty, it can fly like a beaut too. Threw it further than I had been throwing my current discs on a few holes today.

Like its been said numerous times, it will hold any line you put on it forever with a good bit of fade at the very end. The other thing I noticed is that on uphill drives, it doesn't climb too high and stall out like a lot of higher speed discs do. Normally for anything uphill I throw a super beat star wraith because of its ability to hyzerflip pretty well on an upward angle without losing to much momentum. With the sword I can just keep it flat with a slight upward angle and really focus all the power going forward without having to worry about it turning over too low and crashing into the hill much too early. I already love this disc and it will definitely be taking over the roll of my wraith (and maybe my destroyer?).

Nice! I have been loving my Swords for awhile. They just go boom with little effort but still arent super flippy. Threw surges and nukes last year and they replaced those for me easily, and added control vs. the nuke for me. If you have beefy destroyers to cover the shots for you might condsider pairing your Swords with the Giant. I love my TP Giant for beefy but not to beefy, headwind demolishing, huge skipping disc....and shots where if I rip the Sword really hard on a hyzer it might flip up and go straight instead of holding it.

Nice! I have been loving my Swords for awhile. They just go boom with little effort but still arent super flippy. Threw surges and nukes last year and they replaced those for me easily, and added control vs. the nuke for me. If you have beefy destroyers to cover the shots for you might condsider pairing your Swords with the Giant. I love my TP Giant for beefy but not to beefy, headwind demolishing, huge skipping disc....and shots where if I rip the Sword really hard on a hyzer it might flip up and go straight instead of holding it.

The Star Destroyer (175g) I have now is way more understable than almost every other Destroyer I have had, including a 155g Blizzard. It's not flippy but it has a bit more turn to it and quite a bit less fade. Actually its a lot like the Sword. I have been using it alongside my ESP Nukes for my hyzer lines. I like the way the Nukes can take a strong hyzer release and go straight for a bit before a hard fade on holes that have those hard left turns. I might look into a Giant but I have to buy a replacement King first. I really miss that disc. I think I just realized how much I love Westside!

Had one of my longest throws in a very long time. Played a new course and was windy as hell this past saturday,i crushed my tp sword 530/540ish on this 600'ish hole. Felt like it wasnt going to go far but it road the left to right wind ,panned out later down the fairway and faded out the last 40'. even after,i didnt think it went that far,i walked it off and was about 50 shy of the basket but to the right. idk what i did different but the sword has done nothing but impress me lately.

Latest posts