• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Warship

One thing I learned to do this year is throw all my discs with a 4 finger power grip. I used to throw drivers with a 3 finger power grip, minus the pinkie, and used some form of fan grip on putters and mid.

The greatest beneficiary of this has been the Warship - much like you atison, this has become a fairway driver for me.

Mentioned my warship in another thread and realized I had never put my comments on it here.

When I first picked up my warship (Lucid domey) I bagged it for a bit but I never really clicked with it. I was thinking of it as a mid and my mids are pretty locked in (Warrant/Truth/Emac Truth/Verdict) so never threw it much.

About a year ago I decided to give it another try but to treat it differently. To start off with, I placed it in my bag on the other side of the divider that separates my mids/putters from my FD/drivers. Yes, this didn't really change the way it flew but the point was I wanted to start thinking differently about when to throw it.

For my fairway drivers, I tend to lean on hyzerflipping rivers/saints which I love doing for a lot of shots. I pair these up with a stable lineup of Saint Pro's, a metal flake convict (crazy stable for a convict) and a felon.

The Warship wound up fitting in with my fairway drivers as a dead straight, soft finishing disc that gets out there with my rivers but I don't run the risk of them getting away from me to the right or crazy long. I throw them at about 80-90 percent power usually dead flat and can adjust their flight with nose angle somewhat reliably. Slightly nose up if I need an even softer left finish or flat and nose down for super straight penetrating flight.
Are you finding this flies further than your verdicts? Any experience with a roc, does a warship out distance those?

Are you finding this flies further than your verdicts? Any experience with a roc, does a warship out distance those?

Never thrown a verdict, but I can throw a Warship a good bit further and far easier than a Roc of any sort.

Yes, the warship goes further and straighter for longer than my Verdicts. The verdict feels faster but will finish harder and sooner for me. If I power up the warship just right it continues straight and finishes with a soft hyzer.

I will say this though (my warship is quite domey and not sure if that is the norm but I believe it is) the warship can be a little nose sensitive as far as maxing out its distance potential. Get it nose up and it will feel beefier than it is, but get that nose down and it wants to keep going.

Its been a while since I threw a roc but I would argue that the warship is a good bit longer than a roc in most arms.

How much beefier will a VIP-X Chameleon Warship be than the VIP or TB versions? I have a VIP 174g and a 180g currently and love them, the 180 is much firmer and tends to sit much faster than the 174 at my arm speed, but always felt like I could have something have a bit more beef.

I have a VIP-X and a TB on the way, both 177g, but wanted to see what my expectations were before they arrived. Warship is the best feeling mid I've had.

I used to throw the Warship a lot so I'm pretty familiar with it. One of the guys I play with regularly has the chameleon and it seems to be quite a bit more stable both high speed and low speed. It can hold a hyzer without flipping up or turning and seems to have more fade at the end of its flight. It seems to still have the glide just like the other plastics and seems to cover the same distance.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I have a vip and a chameleon vipx, they're identical in flight, so much so that I just pull out whichever one I see first in my bag when it's time to throw one.

I have other vipx discs that are more stable than the regular vip but the chameleon feels and flies just like a normal vip. The one I have does anyway. I have a river in vipx that's stiff as a board and doesn't have any turn or glide for my very average arm.

I got rid of my Rocs after I tried a warship. It does all the things my roc's did (except for turnovers) and yes it also is capable of significantly more distance.

I just recently put my VIP Warship bag in the bag for some putter and mid rounds. I forgot how far these things go. I can throw these as far as anything else. It's feel like it's cheating lol.

Can anyone compare the Warship to a Mako3?

Touch faster, maybe more turn at full power. I throw mine on straight shots under 300 mainly and it maybe turns 10-15 feet and fades the same. If I push it to full power it will go over 340 but with a good amount of turn.

Warship is one of those molds that has always appealed to me but I've never thrown. I imagine it would fly similar to an Evidence, but a touch longer. In theory that would create too much overlap with my Stag...so I'm afraid to try a Warship.

Can anyone compare the Warship to a Mako3?

I used to throw the Warship. These days I do bag a Mako3 but it isn't my primary mid and only comes out for certain shots.

The Warship really encroaches on fairway drivers as it has crazy glide and gets great distance. The glide and distance potential are also one of the downfalls since I found it difficult to range distances with and often went longer than I planned.

The Warship is similar to the Mako3 in that it does tend to hold the angle it's thrown on very well.

The feel in the hand is totally different between the two if that matters.

For me, if I had to pick one I'd go Mako3. It feels better to me, is easier to judge how far it will go, and overall is easier to manipulate for many different shots.

Now, if we were just going to have some sort of midrange distance contest I'd definitely dust off a few Warships and meet you at a field.

Warship is one of those molds that has always appealed to me but I've never thrown. I imagine it would fly similar to an Evidence, but a touch longer. In theory that would create too much overlap with my Stag...so I'm afraid to try a Warship.

I have both. I would say the Warship is maybe 10 feet longer on a 300 foot throw. Warship is a tad more stable.

warship is definitely a longer roc but like all westside disks, good luck if its windy.

Seriously? Ahti, Warhorse, and Fortress are all good headwind discs. Hatchet, Tursas, and Swan are all good tailwind discs. What wind conditions do you play in that can't be covered by those discs?

Latest posts