• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wham-O Max Flight

Paulie

Birdie Member
Saw this disc at Dicks Sporting Goods. Package says PDGA approved. Wham-O / DTW Max Flight is on the PDGA list. Is this really the same disc? Approved?

Attachments

• whamo pdga 1.jpg
    whamo pdga 1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 156
I actually bought this exact disc for my brother when he asked if I'd get him a disc for disc golf. It flies very straight. It's very soft and flexible. Nothing too special about it, sticks in the chains really well though.

Well. This disc gets all the love of Brussels sprouts at a bbq. :|

I've had a red Max Flight for more than 10 years. Haven't thrown it in just short of that same amount of time.

Max Flight is actually a pretty sweet "gimmicky" disc, especially for SUPER long range games of catch. Not really beneficial for golf tho, unless your playing an un-sanctioned "one-and-done" in which case I might see this being useful...

Yup, same disc. It is approved. Now, why is a toatlly different question, LOL

I honestly have mixed feelings about the "disc." I LOVE how it will hold any line you put it on, and the rubbery nature of it makes it grab EXACTLY where it lands, that is no exaggeration either. However, I don't like the fact it isn't manufactured with a stamp saying pdga approved. I often have to have other competitors google the disc to see it is pdga approved when I use it in competition. I won't use it often, more of a utility disc, but always comes in great handy. I would say I love it, if it were stamped pdga approved.

I suspect that a large part of the reason the Maxflight never caught on (aside from its dorky appearance) is that the flight plate is relatively brittle and is highly susceptible to cracking and/or separating from the overmold, especially in cooler (mid-50s and lower) weather. Doesn't take much force to crack it either: I've seen them break on inside-the-circle putts that hit the front of the basket or the chastity belt.

However, I don't like the fact it isn't manufactured with a stamp saying pdga approved. I often have to have other competitors google the disc to see it is pdga approved when I use it in competition. I won't use it often, more of a utility disc, but always comes in great handy. I would say I love it, if it were stamped pdga approved.

If a competitor questions if it is PDGA approved tell them to get the TD, and when the TD shows up ask to have all the discs in that competitor's bag weighed because you think they may be overweight.

Profile pic? Is this a lid, putter, mid? What do we have here?

I would call it a tweener putter/mid, leaning a bit towards a putter.

picture.php

picture.php

If a competitor questions if it is PDGA approved tell them to get the TD, and when the TD shows up ask to have all the discs in that competitor's bag weighed because you think they may be overweight.

Wow talk about an overreaction. It takes all of about 5 seconds to check the approved list for a disc. If I didnt already know that it was legal I'd want verification too.

That'd be an even bigger douche move because the rules allow you to continue play with discs where the legality is in question and check them after play is concluded. Im sure you demanding your group suspend play because you want to pitch a fit about someone asking a reasonable question would go over really well with the TD.