• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What’s in your putter slot?

While it may look like a train wreck to some of you mold minimalists, it just works for my game.

Judges for putting.

Throwers are a Nova, Envy, Pig and Zone.

I love putters. Like, a lot. I'd say putters and fairway drivers are the bread and butter of my game.

Judge (2) - One fresh-ish and one beat. Fresh for in the circle, and beat for long putts, straight approaches, and hyzerflip drives.
Envy (2) - One premium (Plasma or Neutron plastic) and one beat-in Electron. These are my primary driving putters.
Zone (1-2) - One ESP for normal Zone things. Sometimes I add a Jawbreaker to the bag if I haven't been forehanding my Envies as clean lately.
Berg - For those weird tweener shots that are too long to putt but awkward to power down a normal putter.

Is that an insane amount of putters? Probably. Should I stop using the Berg and extra Zone as a crutch, and rely on my Envies more? Yep. But my putters get thrown more than most other discs in my bag, so every time I take one out it feels like I'm missing something. I can live with just 1-2 distance drivers if it means I have room in the bag for 6-7 putters.

The new emac Judge is really treating me well right now. Always flopping between the Judge and the Reko and this seems right in the middle. LOL

Right now I have:
- super beat up SS Wizard
- Tar Pit STEGO

I have been using Links for the better part of two years but I'm getting back on the Wizard train lately and I do believe that it'll stay. I prefer the lower shoulder of the Link but I find the Wiz to be far superior off the tee and on approaches. This Wiz, even trashed, has great HSS so it'll just ride straight to the basket.

I had a brief affair with Links last fall but ended up busting the wizards back out for pretty much the same reasons you described. My older Soft Wizard recently got ran over by 3 cars but it's barely warped and pretty much just flies dead straight.

After a long winter, I have learned that I need to carry different types of plastic for my putters.
Typically KC Aviars are my go to putters. This winter I carried:
Aviar p&a soft plastic
Aviar KC stiff plastic
Wizard special blend
Judge Z plastic

After some practice putts before the round, I would just pick the one that felt the best in whatever weather conditions we had that day. Being cold in Wisconsin, I found the Wizard to be a great replacement for my super stiff KC aviar.

After a long winter, I have learned that I need to carry different types of plastic for my putters.
Typically KC Aviars are my go to putters. This winter I carried:
Aviar p&a soft plastic
Aviar KC stiff plastic
Wizard special blend
Judge Z plastic

After some practice putts before the round, I would just pick the one that felt the best in whatever weather conditions we had that day. Being cold in Wisconsin, I found the Wizard to be a great replacement for my super stiff KC aviar.

I also switch up the plastic on my putters for the colder months.

Warm weather I prefer stiff plastic that isn't overly grippy so I use classic moonshine Judges.

They come out of my hand a little uncontrolled in cold weather with cold hands so I switch them out for classic blend Judges.

I just switched from Legacy Gravity Clutch to the Gateway SSS Wizard. I don't know why, except that I like the feel of the Wizard more than the Clutch.

Throwers:

Champystar type Harp. 175g. Very OS.
Champ Invader. 175g. Slightest bit of overstability.
Star Invader. 175g. Flip to flat, a little drift.

Putters:

DX Invaders. 175g. Flippy.

Putting: K3 Berg
Approaches: K1 Ice Berg
Driving: Pro Pig

Currently auditioning a glidey driving putter.

Putting putters: matched pair of Electron Anodes

Throwers:
Plasma Ion is my absolute go to for nearly everything
Beat Firm Electron Anode for flippy stuff
Soft Neutron particle for slightly more OS duties
Tar pit Stego for.....Stego things

Been tossing a mostly putter only bag this year.

(2) PWP Wizard - putting
(1) Diamond Wizard - stable throwing
(1) QOmega4 - neutral thrower
(1) AviarX3 - overstable thrower
(2) R-pro Aviar - neutral to turnover thrower
(2) KC Aviars - stable to overstable throwers
(2) Mcpro Aviar - straight tailwind neutral

Rest of bag is mids and firebird

Serpent: 165 Chalkpit/175 Fossil/175 Eraser
Chalkpit for putting; Fossil and Eraser for long runs/layups on slow/fast greens

Harp: 2x 175 Origio/1x VIP-X
Driving, long approaches, placement second shots

Baobab: 170 Woodland/175 Alpine
Rollers, pancakes, chips, pitches, putts

Basically, the Serpent and Baobab take care of within 100 feet of the my green, Harp covers everything else
Currently trying out Shields in differing plastics to see if I can consolidate the Harp and Serpent

Dynamic Discs Warden for straddle putts and throwing into tailwind or crosswind. Innova GStar Rhyno for headwind putts and OS approaches. Dynamic Discs Deputy for anny putts around obstacles or turnover putter approaches.

Latest posts