• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What about a new pro division?

Halcón

Free At Last
Has there been any moves to make a touring pro division? Maybe something that you would need 1000 rating to play in, or 900 for FPO.

It seems that in many tourneys, you have a bunch of lesser pros and the touring guys in Open. The lesser guys never have a chance, and it's always the same top guys winning anyway.

Of course, it could be said that there are many players who should really be Adv, but are playing Open. And that adds to the problem of lopsided leaderboards.

So, any thoughts? Pros, cons?

If this has already been discussed, feel free to 'rube me.

There aren't enough of those top guys to actually fill events. So this solution would not create a more level playing field, it would just remove a large chunk of the playing field at most tournaments.

I'm not particularly interested in seeing NT events with a field of just 25...

More handicapping events or sliding scale entry fee events would ease that.

I agree about too many divisions, but only age protected divisions. IMO, Everyone under 55-60 should be competing with other players around the same player rating. But there should still be Open, MA1 and MA2

I want my own division named Rob Martin. You name has to be Rob Martin to be in it. Division would be MRM. Men - Rob Martin.

A real man 'rubes himself. :\

I like the idea. But using 1000 rated at the entry, there wouldn't be enough players. Maybe 975 rated and higher? Of course we all have the answers to the PDGA rating guidelines.

every year I order trophies for my weekly league. I pay for these and wonder why I offer so many divisions. It's the trophy suppliers that are getting rich.

every year I order trophies for my weekly league. I pay for these and wonder why I offer so many divisions. It's the trophy suppliers that are getting rich.

Sounds fair. Then what about making MPO 1000 rated only (or 980, or whatever)? I know it's a tradition that's hard to break, but why should just anybody be allowed to play MPO? It should be earned.

Sounds fair. Then what about making MPO 1000 rated only (or 980, or whatever)? I know it's a tradition that's hard to break, but why should just anybody be allowed to play MPO? It should be earned.

Because it's called the Open division. :rolleyes:

Let's see. The over-1000 rated players would hate it, because there'd be less money for them, and sometimes only 1 or 2 players in their division. The under-1000 rated pros would hate it, because they wouldn't get to play in their division of choice. The current MA1 players would hate it, because they'd get swamped by the preceding group.

Who would this benefit?

There aren't nearly enough players to support a division in which you must "earn" your way in. And even if there were, you'd need far more outside support for the purse in such a division for it to be sustainable. If it's everyone playing for each others' money and it's limited to the same group of players every time, then all it amounts to is shuffling around the same pool of money every week.

At our current stage, the fresh money brought into the top division by players that aren't necessarily qualified for it (lower rated players a.k.a. donators) is a big chunk of what makes it profitable for the top guys (well, profitable in a strictly relative sense). It isn't a model for making the sport "mainstream" but it's the best we've got for now.

I don't want to start a growth debate but dg isn't ready for it. At least in the dfw. One day it would be cool to see it earned though.

I think that the first step would be to open registration up to 980+ rated players a week before regular registration. If that's the direction we are headed.

The tournament structure for disc golf is in need of repair. Everyone whines and complains about all the sandbaggers yet we need these baggers in order to pay out the pro purse. There's got to be a better way.

Trophy Am
Prize Am
Open

With Masters and Women's divisions of each. That's about all we need, imo. No sand bagging. No rating protections. Except maybe a rating cap for Trophy Am.

Latest posts