• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What about the Max?

Yeah but theyre definitely not in the same category as the max, flick, and predator.

My Z forces are more overstable than my Z flick (not by much, but they are a little). Personally, I think that people overstate the overstability of the flick. If you throw it fast enough, it has a really nice flight.

I think I have a freak flick, it turns over for me and barley comes back in a headwind. In no wind it does a nice S curve. And I don't think it's because of a bunch of OAT (although i may have some) because I can throw my teebird stalker and river past 300 on a good day without much turn.

Just saw that Innova posted this "Let's not forget the newest addition to our Out Of Production category in the form of the Star Max."

I really loved my PFN, Flat, Star Max. It was slightly beat...the most consistent headwind disc I ever owned. Every single time I pulled it out I parked it. Then lost it in a tree...was ridiculous. Still looking for a proper replacement. Guess I may have to order one or 2 from the factory store right now...

Last edited:
At my local course they were pulling discs off of the shelf. If someone wants to correct me on this these discs were either not being made altogether
or were being discontinued to the point of only existing in maybe one plastic.
We've got:
Shark (word is the mold is broke and it would cost too much to get it fixed, we got the shark3 now too)
FL
SL
Dominator in Champion(maybe altogether)
Max
Coyote
Super Stingray (on OOP page for factory store)

The pro shop near me pulled a bunch of discs and I talked to the owner, some he knew why others he were told they no longer were selling. There is probably more I'm forgetting and maybe one or two I'm wrong about. but this is a start.

I had a worked in champystar max that was amazing for forehand. I could throw it on hyzer, hyzerflip to flat and flex shots super versatile. Unfortunately its sitting in the lake at auburn regional..

I had a worked in champystar max that was amazing for forehand. I could throw it on hyzer, hyzerflip to flat and flex shots super versatile. Unfortunately its sitting in the lake at auburn regional..

This^
So much you can use the Star Max for especially forehand...my accurate distance disc. I also have a z flash which is close, but I prefer the star/esp rather than z/champ for my distance shots. For rollers, I release (FH) at / angle and let 'er roll.

Lol I get what you're saying cards but it's funny, that definitely the first time I've heard a max and flash compared before in any sense lol.

What's the scoop on the metal flake and glow maxes? Flat and beefy at all? Contemplating 2015 3 man tourney discs...

So I got to test the new James Proctor Metal Flake Max today and here are my thoughts::

MF Max of years past it is not. I purchased this disc hoping it would be insanely OS, and while it is still fast and quite OS, it's not what I was hoping for. That being said…

I LOVE THIS DISC. This disc has kicked out my crazy beefy *DS as my most OS distance driver. It feels great and doesn't glide out when thrown on an anny forehand like my *DS sometimes can if I miss my angle. It's perhaps more similar to the star maxes I've thrown in the past but I'm loving this run.

TLDR: Not what I expected, but pleasantly surprised.

So I got to test the new James Proctor Metal Flake Max today and here are my thoughts::

MF Max of years past it is not. I purchased this disc hoping it would be insanely OS, and while it is still fast and quite OS, it's not what I was hoping for. That being said…

I LOVE THIS DISC. This disc has kicked out my crazy beefy *DS as my most OS distance driver. It feels great and doesn't glide out when thrown on an anny forehand like my *DS sometimes can if I miss my angle. It's perhaps more similar to the star maxes I've thrown in the past but I'm loving this run.

TLDR: Not what I expected, but pleasantly surprised.

I could have wrote that exact same post with my experiences. I enjoyed it so much the one round I have thrown with it that I bought a backup yesterday. I think this one is staying in the bag for a bit.

I threw some Max's YEARS ago, not at all familiar with these less overstable ones. Can anyone compare to the Xcal?

Latest posts