• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What about this for tee pads?

ghostkid

Rust-oleum restore
http://rustoleumrestore.com/extreme/color-selection/
My parents just used the deck and patio version, but they have a driveway version that looks like it would be better for tee pads. I'm wanting to get a few courses in my area built, but there is two older course in the city that need major updated & upgrades. So, I figure if we update those courses it will help in pushing for a few new ones.

I think these are just sealants. They do not have much texture to them. All the ones I have used are pretty slick when they get wet. Spray the deck with water and pretend to throw a disc and see if you think it is slick. Let us know. Thanks.

Yes, it is very textured actually on my parents front porch. I'll try to get a pic of it next time I'm by there. I will say their porch was smoother like a sidewalk before this stuff.

Speaking as a concrete type individual, sealants and topcoat sealants like this can be very good and very bad. If all the steps are religiously followed and the surface is operating room clean, then they have a chance at working and lasting a while. But when they fail, and they all will, they can be a real mess. They spall up in chunks or even sheets when they fail. If they ever get damaged, water will make them fail quickly once its between the layers...and freeze thaw cycle is even faster.

I have zero experience with this type, so I would proceed cautiously. If it were me, I'd do a test with one or two pads to see how it holds up and get feedback from other golfers as to how it plays...before going whole hog on the rest of the course. I am wondering how the bond will hold up to the traffic during the drive run ups. I have had sealers that took a grinder to remove normally, but the guys playing basketball on the slab took it right off with their shoes. Concrete and sealers can be funny that way.

Speaking as a concrete type individual, sealants and topcoat sealants like this can be very good and very bad. If all the steps are religiously followed and the surface is operating room clean, then they have a chance at working and lasting a while. But when they fail, and they all will, they can be a real mess. They spall up in chunks or even sheets when they fail. If they ever get damaged, water will make them fail quickly once its between the layers...and freeze thaw cycle is even faster.

I have zero experience with this type, so I would proceed cautiously. If it were me, I'd do a test with one or two pads to see how it holds up and get feedback from other golfers as to how it plays...before going whole hog on the rest of the course. I am wondering how the bond will hold up to the traffic during the drive run ups. I have had sealers that took a grinder to remove normally, but the guys playing basketball on the slab took it right off with their shoes. Concrete and sealers can be funny that way.
I don't know this guy from Adam, but every single thread regarding concrete tees that he's chimed in on, he's made so much sense it's not even funny. Pretty sure he works with concrete for a living (or has at some point). When it comes to things concrete, he just seems to know his sh**. I have the feeling we're getting truly expert advice for free.

Tennis court paint.

that is all.

Just use it. You mix in an aggregate with it when putting it on, and it holds up amazingly. I played collegiality and have helped resurface more courts than I care to remember. The paint is amazingly simply to apply, and it is remarkably grippy with just the right amount of release and slide. Plus, again, it holds up to everything and for a long time.

On public courts that get used a ton and for much more than tennis, you normally resurface about once every 10-15 years.

Thanks, Bogey. Yes, I am currently a concrete contractor, among other things.;) Been in the biz a little over 20 years and 18-19 of that with my own company. Wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have done and seen my share.

Tennis court paint.

that is all.

Just use it. You mix in an aggregate with it when putting it on, and it holds up amazingly. I played collegiality and have helped resurface more courts than I care to remember. The paint is amazingly simply to apply, and it is remarkably grippy with just the right amount of release and slide. Plus, again, it holds up to everything and for a long time.

On public courts that get used a ton and for much more than tennis, you normally resurface about once every 10-15 years.

Should work fine as long as the tee's surface is intact. It won't bridge cracks like the elastomeric stuff in the first post, though. I'd say add it to the test tees...one and one and then let the players decide which works best. Doubt you will get 10 years out of it...you may, though. It will all depend on the course traffic. The tees are much smaller than courts, thereby concentrating the impact. That has a tendency to find weak spots fast. All it would take is a little maintenance every so often to make sure no bare spots or holes are developing. IIRC, that stuff patches well.

I work at Lowes and we sell a crap ton of this Restore stuff. While I don't have any of it on my porch/deck at home, I haven't heard a single complaint about it from any customers (which is rare in retail).