• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are some of the coolest courses with throwing over water, etc.

Trophy Lakes uses water in more creative ways than the normal "tee off on one side, basket on the other", or "water running along one side of the fairway" that you often see.

On 2 holes water starts at about 200', so you can lay up to it, or try to gun 350'+ to clear it. With trees in mind. Hole 1 the water is behind the hole but at an angle. The hole is about 290'; if you miss right, the water is much closer, if you miss left, you end up skipping far away from the basket. With trees in mind. On the standard "throw over the water", there's an island with tall trees in the middle of the water, so you've got to get around it and PRAY you don't nick one.

Trophy Lakes is best understood with the fact that, on the ground rules sheet handed out for the tournament, it mentioned "OB" 27 times. It's also the only tournament I ever played (last year) that had scuba divers retrieving discs.

18 at Glenn C. Hilton, in Hickory NC. Small creek at the bottom of an awesome ravine. Very cool hole with 4 possible basket placements. Just an awesome way to end a course.
1.jpg

AK

This is actually a pretty simple shot, more bark than bite. #9 & 18 at the High Country in Jefferson, NC are throwing off the side of a mountain. #18 has a 140 foot drop free tee pad to basket.

Attachments

• Jefferson9.jpg
    Jefferson9.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 42
sharp springs park in smyrna TN has some nice water surroundings and water holes(provided it has rained within the last month)
only problem is the water is infested with mosquitos..... and i forgot to bring bug spray.

that day really sucked..... but when i came back a week later with bug spray it was a great day.
The bugs at Sharp Springs are UNBEARABLE! Every time I play there I end up pissed off because of bugs, even with bug spray all over me. That hole with the huge sinkhole (can't recall which number it is) is very intimidating to say the least, when it has water in it.

Sanders Ferry in Hendersonville follows Old Hickory Lake and water comes into play on 3 or 4 holes, its a really fun course.

This is actually a pretty simple shot, more bark than bite. #9 & 18 at the High Country in Jefferson, NC are throwing off the side of a mountain. #18 has a 140 foot drop free tee pad to basket.
Agreed definitely not a difficult hole, but a very cool hole. 2 of the pin placements are VERY Aceable.

-Adam

Cliff Stephens, home of The Champ in Clearwater, FL, has several long water crossings and water along fairways. I lost three discs during a tournament round and had to run to the sales tent between holes and buy a few more drivers to finish the round.

The finishing hole at Winter Park in Kewaunee, WI, can be rather intimidating. The best person to describe it is the course designer, so here's a simple cut-and-paste of his description:

"#18 - Blue tee plays 305'. Across a pond! No elevation change. Tee to basket is 305', tee to edge of pond is 265', blue tee over to red tee is 175', or play it safe without crossing water, and throw left along the access road (you won't birdie or ace though!). Water is OB, special drop zone is road area behind the red tee. Blue tee plays entirely across water without any fairway. Red tee is across left side of pond and plays 200' which is the 'main' fairway. The left side of the fairway is dense forest. The right edge is the pond. Going long is a snow fence with long grass past it. The green is wide open. Cross under #15 fairway back to the parking lot. (Gold tee plays from 300' behind the red tee on the gravel road)"

Attachments

• Hole #18 Blue Tee (all that tall grass surrounds a huge pond!).jpg
    Hole #18 Blue Tee (all that tall grass surrounds a huge pond!).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Hole #18 OB Area.jpg
    Hole #18 OB Area.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Hole #18 Red Tee (pond off to right, MUCH easier than Blue).jpg
    Hole #18 Red Tee (pond off to right, MUCH easier than Blue).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
heres my most dreaded water hole EVER!! The hole is located a Bear Creek in Grapevine and is only 189', you would think it would be the easiest hole in the world, and though it seems....yet RARELY is it aced, because if you make a run at the basket and you miss..well, lets just say your never gonna see that disc again...ive lost over 20 discs on this one hole, as have many others...the smart shot here is just layup for bird;)

Heres the seemingly harmless hole, from the short
picture.php

And here is what is directly behind the basket, maybe 25' back....maybe...oh and you cant see this from the box
picture.php

ive gone swimming for a couple "go-to" midranges and putters here without much luck, the water is usually AT LEAST chest high, and there are snakes galore, yet this still tends to be a very popular spot for disc fishers, yet for good reason

Last edited:
thanks for the warning. bear creek is next on my list of DFW courses to play.

The 18th at LTC is over water, but the intimidation factor varies depending on recent thaw/rain (some days during the summer the creek is nearly completely dried up). 156' through a wooded tunnel, crossing the creek on the way out of the woods, basket slightly elevated out in the open with woods and creek to the right, tall marsh grass to the left.

18tee.jpg

What it looks like from the tee:
LTC038.jpg

The creek is under all that grass (this is on one of her lower-level days)
LTC039.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice. Hole 14 at Como Park near Buffalo NY. The basket is behind that huge tree on the other side of the water.

f6748f50.jpg

I'll probably be playing there with Traver today. I'll try and get some good pics. That isn't the only water hole there either.

#10 at East Metro park, among others. I would love/hate to see that place with water in the creeks.

Anyway, if you haven't played it, great hole. From the teebox the hole looks straight forward enough, wide open area to drive, the fun begins with the approach. The basket is suspended on the point of a peninsula, surrounded by plenty of trees to knock your disc down into the hazard.

This is a 3-putt waiting to happen if you aren't careful.

#2/3/9/11/15 at Pease Park in Austin are also made a little more treacherous with Shoal Creek coming into play.

Don't have a picture yet, let me see if I can describe a hole we're working on at Stoney HIll.

Long, fairly narrow pond, squared off at one end where the dam is. At the other end, roughtly 500' away, the pond forks; the left fork goes into a heavily wooded area.

Basket in the fork, tee in the middle of the dam.

So when you stand on the tee, you're looking WAY down the pond to the basket, in the fork at the other end.

The play is to throw cutting the corner of the pond to the left shore, deciding how much pond you want to risk carrying. If you drive far enough, your second shot can cut across one of the forks in the pond to the basket, hyzering out over the pond on your right to (hopefully) come down on the green, careful not to go too far left into the thickly wooded fork of the pond.

Or, wimp out and lay up your second shot, hopefully in a sweet spot to set up your 3rd shot over the fork of the pond.

Oh, and the wind's probably blowing.

I think I need a picture.

This, on the other hand, is our easy water hole.

Pond%20Hole.jpg

Attachments

• Pond%20Hole.jpg
    Pond%20Hole.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 18
Removed

The course has since been removed, but Indian Hills Community College had 3 water hazards. I found pictures of the ponds so you can see the water, but there's none of the holes themselves.

Hole 2 was over this pond, from left of the screen to behind the grasses a little to the right
zklvfq.jpg

This was hole three, went across the water about where the fountain is, a little more right of it when you are down there
14kdy7d.jpg

This one has three holes that pass it. You can see one teepad which is the second hole to make this water be in play, the short teepad. The long teepad is up by the pine tree, and the basket is just out of site to the right also behind pine trees
69j02p.jpg

Luther Britt in Lumberton NC has the most water holes of any course in NC. Hole 17 is a classic hole over water out to an island.

Buckhorn in New Hill NC has some really cool water holes on 8-11; the nuclear power plant cooling tower adds to the scenery. There's also a pond in play on 15 and 17.

Walnut Creek in Charlottesville VA has some great water holes on 2 Long tee, 17, 18 Long tee to long basket.

Last edited:
This isn't a water hole, but it's pretty dramatic nonetheless.

I'm talking #1 at Water Works in Kansas City MO:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/86/5ec322b8.jpg

The green travels down into a valley and then up onto a crest and then down into another valley - you're throwing across ridges that are HUGE in scale and carpeted with close-mown grass. It's an incredible welcome to an incredible course.

Last edited:
I'll be taking these on this weekend. Pray for my discs. :(

Peter Pan Park, Emporia, KS - Hole 11 - Basket sits on a small peninsula. Unless you can get a skip off the water, its best to get a drive close, lay up from there and take your putt.
86c36f6a_m.jpg

Jones Park East, Emporia KS - Hole 4
- Basket is in one of two placements up by the picnic shelter. Probably 320' or so to clear the water, probably about 280' to stay short of it.
4f4ea740_m.jpg

And then the following hole #5 going back the other way over the gut of the same pond. Probably about 275' to clear.
32583876_m.jpg

Latest posts