• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the benefits of a runup?

rphancock1

I throw everything from a standstill. I line up my shoulders and point the disc where I want to throw it, pick an imaginary target somewhere nearer than where I want the disc to land, but which the disc must pass through in order for it to hit the desired landing zone. I then get into position, which means turning my back, closing my hips, shifting my weight back a little, and throw.

My drives are around 320, mids around 275-300, putters around 250-275. But that's only when everything works. I do get the glitches.. When my body doesn't seem to know what to do first and my throw is a spin rather then a weight shift/lever action. I feel like I can throw farther from a standstill once I put the pieces together that I'm learning.. I've been playing for about 7 months so obviously I'm still thinking about actions separately and it's not all fluid. I don't care about distance so much; most of the courses I play are heavily wooded and reward accuracy.

So what would a runup add?

I would also say a run up or an x-step is a good method of closing your hips more and getting a farther reachback. But if you aren't concerned with distance, I don't know if a runup would really help you if you are used to standstill. A lot of players I know don't do a standstill simply because they aren't used to it, but a standstill is less body motion, so it should be more consistent, improving accuracy.

A proper run up/ x step will get your body in the correct positions to generate more power and provide momentum.

For me, someone who does not have all that good of technique, the x-step is still beneficial for timing and feel. And I like to think it helps some with positioning, momentum, and generating power.

I think the run-up is all about generating momentum in order to transfer greater energy to the disc... distance. Proper technique, x-step, etc, are important, but they're really just about the mechanics of allowing you to get a clean release without losing the power generated and putting the disc where you want it to go on when you run-up, but the run-up itself, is about distance. If it not for distance, there's no need to run-up.

If you can get the desired distance for your shot from a standstill, or with one or two well controlled steps before your release, then that's what I'd advise as the vast majority of players will be far more able to execute the line they want that way.

I generally take a true run-up with n ax-step for 200+, give or take (depending on the shot, terrain, etc). Closer than that, and I'm typically taking a couple of steps with my Challenger. Even just a couple of steps is enough to generate far more power on a throw than a complete standstill.

Last edited:
A slow run-up will turn a high-power standstill shot into a marginal power run-up shot. The decrease in effort required means an increase in accuracy. So, it's not all about distance.

^ Agreed - the reduction in effort, due to the additional power gained through stepping into the shot, can definitely result in better accuracy. But why is the additional power required in the first place? Because you're too far from the target to reach it very comfortably from a standstill. At this point it becomes a bit of a circular argument.

How does a run-up lead to increased accuracy? Because it allows you to generate the power needed to get the disc the desired distance with less effort. With less effort comes increased accuracy.

Inside the circle (where accuracy is paramount) no one runs up. The farther one is from the target, the more likely it they'll use a run-up, or at least a couple of steps.

the only point for the runup is the turning of the hips and the easier reachback. The speed added is neglectable. It's all about bringing your hips and back and shoulders into the throw.

As sidewinder said, it adds around 15% distance.

the only point for the runup is the turning of the hips and the easier reachback. The speed added is neglectable. It's all about bringing your hips and back and shoulders into the throw.

As sidewinder said, it adds around 15% distance.

This was my impression, having read Blake and Bradley and Dan Beato. For me, it wouldn't be worth it for that amount of distance alone, but how about timing? I feel like I need some sort of trigger, because when I turn my back and reach back with the disc, I hold that position for a second and sometimes I feel like I get stuck. Like I don't know which body part to move first, and that's when the throw goes awry. Usually it starts to happen about midway through a round, when I've been making several throws. Like when you say a word too many times and it starts to sound funny.. that's how it feels. I've tried focusing on my heel, and starting the throw from bringing my right heel down. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I'll probably work on a runup at some point just out of curiosity, since like 95% of pros do it. But I've been thinking that maybe throwing without moving my feet at all was the wrong way to go.. making it harder on myself. I do believe based on the reading I've done, and the feeling of some throws where everything comes together that it's possible to get distance around 400' without moving my feet, but maybe it's not the easiest way.

Again, I haven't been playing that long, so it may just be a muscle memory thing that hasn't developed yet. But it's fairly frustrating and I'd like to get it fixed, haha.

For me, it wouldn't be worth it for that amount of distance alone, but how about timing?

I do believe based on the reading I've done, and the feeling of some throws where everything comes together that it's possible to get distance around 400' without moving my feet, but maybe it's not the easiest way.

Again, I haven't been playing that long, so it may just be a muscle memory thing that hasn't developed yet. But it's fairly frustrating and I'd like to get it fixed, haha.

whats wrong with throwing 15% further ? that would be 460 instead of 400 feet, or 345 instead of 300...

about timing and muscle memory : you are still building that up. The more you practice, the faster it will come. But just think that for every element you want to add, you will have to practice again all over. So better start practicing the proper form instead of getting good with something and then having to re-learn it all.

Personally, I think having a consistent standstill is the first step to good technique. Once you are consistent with you standstill form, add a single step. Once you are consistent with that, add a second step, etc.... I'm not working on the second step of my "run up". Single step forward then an x step. Still working on getting consistent here, but when it works I've seen improvement in my distance.

Based on the distances you are throwing you might be throwing nose up. If you bring the nose down you should be able to gain some distance. I know that's not what you are asking about but it is something to work on.

^ Agreed - the reduction in effort, due to the additional power gained through stepping into the shot, can definitely result in better accuracy. But why is the additional power required in the first place? Because you're too far from the target to reach it very comfortably from a standstill. At this point it becomes a bit of a circular argument.

How does a run-up lead to increased accuracy? Because it allows you to generate the power needed to get the disc the desired distance with less effort. With less effort comes increased accuracy.

Inside the circle (where accuracy is paramount) no one runs up. The farther one is from the target, the more likely it they'll use a run-up, or at least a couple of steps.

This is definitely true, but there's one thing I haven't seen anyone say yet. The best analogy I can think of is juggling (random, I know). In juggling, you can start a juggling pattern (cold start), or go from a base pattern into a more complex pattern (hot start). The hot start gets your muscles moving and "in the groove". I think of a standstill drive as a cold start and a runup drive as a hot start. The runup helps me get into the motion of the drive, rather than just starting the throw from nothing. That can increase power and accuracy.

However, I've seen some people that could bomb from a standstill. And learning a good standstill throw will help improve your form overall.

The only benefit I feel I get from a run-up is allowing me to set the rhythm of my throw, and to load my hips more from the x-step.

Disclaimer: I don't throw amazing drives. My max is about 300 but that is only with absolutely perfect form and snap which I am not consistent with yet. I probably more often throw about 220-260.

That being said, my advice to all of my friends that are just starting out is to ditch the name "run up" and call it "footwork" instead. The name "run up" implies that you should be running, which I strongly discourage for newbies. If you have been playing for years and have the mechanics and muscle memory down then feel free to actually run. I think newbies should slow down as it will help them solidify the rest of the mechanics.

In fact, I was in a slump lately and for several rounds couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I eventually slowed down and VIOLA! My drives instantly got better. Why? I believe that subconsciously I was expecting the momentum of my body to somehow propel the disc and thus I failed to snap it out of my hand. Also I believe that I was neglecting to really pull the disc across my body, and failing to focus on weight transfer. Both of these led to throws with less than optimal rotation on the disc. Obviously, both my accuracy and my distance were abysmal because of this.

I would say the point of footwork is to get your body into the optimal position to really launch the disc. Even stepping at a slow speed (I do a cross-step in my footwork) will help you turn/reach back further, and spin your hips better. It also allows for a great shift in your body weight so that you're not throwing off of your back foot.

In realty they say that everything is about "Location! Location! Location!" but in disc golf it's all about "Rotation! Rotation! Rotation!" The more you can impart spin on that disc, the better it will do what it was designed to do.

My advice to some newbies that I have played with lately for driving:

1. WALK don't run

2. Keep the disc close to your body -- release more like you're pulling a cord to start a mower straight across your chest rather than some swooping, circular motion far away from your chest

3. Throw when your weight is centered, or just at the point that you are leaning to your front foot. Do not throw with your weight on your back foot.

4. Pull the disc back across your chest, not down at your waist. This allows for a more level release. If you are pulling it back at waist level then the natural follow-through in your arm will be an upward motion, essentially forcing a high, hyzer shot. Doing this is bad form as your discs will basically just go high into the air, fade hard, and will not travel very far. Of course if you intend to hyzer up and over some trees then pulling back low is what you want! For a nice, even release -- intended for maximum distance regardless of height -- you don't want a really low pullback.

5. Don't try to overpower the disc. Just make sure to SNAP it out at the very end and let the disc do the work. Your arm shouldn't be sore after playing one round or you are trying too hard. It's better to snap the disc for maximum rotation than to try and "push" the disc through the air.

Throwing from a standstill, then slowly adding x-step and power is a great way to start with accuracy, then slowly add distance. At least, that's how it's worked for me.

It's also great way to learn how your discs behave as you power them up and down.

I'm probably throwing for less distance now than I was a few months ago, but the increased accuracy is much more valuable as you play harder courses.

Based on the distances you are throwing you might be throwing nose up. If you bring the nose down you should be able to gain some distance. I know that's not what you are asking about but it is something to work on.

Yeah, some throws more than others. I can't really tell unless it obviously goes high and hyzers out, but that's an obvious miss. Otherwise, they travel pretty flat about 10' high for 300'. How can I tell if the nose is up if it looks flat? Simply by distance? I thought 330 was pretty good for a standstill, so I hadn't really considered nose angle being a problem. I'll try and get it further down and see if it helps. I've mostly been working on my hip/shoulder rotation, and not arming it.

Sounds like I should work on taking some steps next too. Thanks!

Forgive me. :rolleyes:

Benefits of a runup for the average chucker:
1. It alerts the local fauna to the presence of danger---your throws.
2. It terrifies young children and the Father-Knows-Best familial type, keeping spectating to a minimum.
3. It creates nausea, disorientation and a fear of the unknown among your competitors.
4. It has been cited as evidence for decreasing park budgets and closing park DGCs.
5. It has a fatwa against it.

Now THAT'S a troll. :D :p

Though in all seriousness, SLOW runups[almost walkups] are the way to go.

Latest posts