• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Are The Most Brutal Courses?

I think French Creek, all golds, is a brutal course. The SSE on here indicates it's slightly easier than Iron Hill, but I never really felt that way. If you're a little bit off at iron hill you still have a chance. If you're a little bit off at French Creek you will be crying.

Bumping this. What's the most brutal course you know of? Looking for courses closer to Charlotte than Ohio since I moved.

I want a course that will beat me up, break me down and send me home crying. I want to film a round that I'd be embarrassed to upload to youtube.

Flyboy is close enough to Charlotte, especially if you get an opportunity to play the Viper layout. I played the regular Flyboy layout, but saw some of the Viper course along the way....holy cow, those looked like some extremely difficult holes.

Looking forward to playing leviathan when I make it back up to the north country. Wish I would have played it last year when I was up their visiting flip city for the first time. Keep hearing a lot about it.

If you travel that far north, keep driving on up to Charlevoix. Mt. McSauba will earn your respect. I have played many of the forementioned courses in WV, Black course, Seth Burton, Orange Crush, Whippin Post, Woodshed, and I believe that Mt. McSauba is every bit as tough, both mentally and physically. Doesn't have real high ratings because not many play it!

McSauba

Last edited:
I don't believe Iron Hill is near as tough as it used to be. We've spent the last 9 years tweaking this and that as well as cleaning up the first layer of rough

The problem is, if you build a course, that difficult, no one will want to play it.
I know firsthand with the supercourse at Sugaree, which has been an option for 5 years. Most folks just don't want to throw 800 feet though the dense woods...not Iron Hill low density wide fairways, but heavy density wall to wall trees.

Last edited:
What are the most difficult courses you've played or even just heard of? The closer to Ohio the better. I'm looking for a challenge.
If you are looking for a challenge,why in the world would you play Roan Mountain ?

Flyboy is close enough to Charlotte, especially if you get an opportunity to play the Viper layout. I played the regular Flyboy layout, but saw some of the Viper course along the way....holy cow, those looked like some extremely difficult holes.

The DGCR page is showing it as extinct?

Flyboy was on my mind for years but when I saw that I figured I was too late. Is it still open?

I don't believe Iron Hill is near as tough as it used to be. We've spent the last 9 years tweaking this and that as well as cleaning up the first layer of rough

Appreciate the info. I'd still like to check it out based on what I've heard about it, but I'll temper my expectations a bit.

The DGCR page is showing it as extinct?

Flyboy was on my mind for years but when I saw that I figured I was too late. Is it still open?

It's open at limited times, if you can wrangle an invite.

And worth whatever it takes to do that wrangling.

But it's not quite the brutal course you're looking for.....more of a dream course.

Pipeline DGC in Spartanburg SC. It might have been a combination of the course and the 95 plus degree July day, but that course kicked my butt the day we played it.
Spartanburg is a nice destination of courses to hit regardless, but Pipeline does have some really crazy holes, mostly crazy in a good way. I dunno if it's all that more challenging than say, RL Smith though?
I see you have yet to play Rockness Monster and Sasquatch. Both physically challenging and challenging golf. Played from the longs both are really tough.
The most challenging part is driving to Roxboro. Man is that in the middle of nowhere. Rockness is a seriously wooded course and I think Mike would like it b/c it's a very secluded course.
WR Jackson (IDGC) in Appling, Ga.
Back 9 at Harmon Hills in Fall Branch, Tenn.
Harmon is fantastic but the first 18 I don't think will trouble Mike at all. It's mostly pretty open holes on rolling farmland. Mike has the arm to take "Simon" routes and really do some damage on a lot of those holes but it is a seriously great course. That tertiary nine that I think Cerealman is referring to is actually my favorite part but I don't think it's as difficult as Sugaree. It's basically very Sugaree-esque (lots of huge rocks) with a bit less elevation and more defined fairways. Gorgeous holes and a decent hike though.

I'd probably recommend Black Jack as a brutal course if it hasn't been mentioned yet. You really feel the elevation change taking a toll on your body as you play that one, tight lines, tough to get footing, tree kicks can be disastrous. Not really brutal in an extreme sense but Rock Ridge in Pittsboro is a really well designed course in relation to assigned par and multi-throw holes. Combined with Rockness they're probably the best wooded courses in middle NC. You can fit in Jones Park (Charlotte-esque holes) and Buckhorn (older but still fairly challenging, especially the water holes) with Rock Ridge without driving too much.

That tertiary nine that I think Cerealman is referring to is actually my favorite part but I don't think it's as difficult as Sugaree. It's basically very Sugaree-esque (lots of huge rocks) with a bit less elevation and more defined fairways. Gorgeous holes and a decent hike though.
That may have been true the last time you played Sugaree, but not today. The hardest hole, #1 has been split into two holes and all the non-original holes have been thinned out considerably. It's more about fun now,unless you play the supercourse layout,which is way more difficult than the HH wooded nine.

Last edited:
Idlewild - Burlington, KY

Not sure if this was already mentioned but this course is beastly.

If you ever make it to the Austin area, Manor East Metro (just Manor to locals) is a top notch course that will abuse you when you leave the fairway, and you will leave the fairway, especially playing from the longs. I'm talking brambles, mesquite, cactus (lots of barrel cactus, which is the worst), and even the occasional rattlesnake.

Texas States was played there recently, I think 2014. There is video online.

I'd agree that the third set of 9 on Harmon Hills is among the hardest stretch of holes that I've played. Part of that is probably because the previous 18 aren't a walk in the park either.

Nockamixon is definitely one of the most brutal courses I've played, but it's pretty crazy how fair it still is.

I'd call Whippin' Post and Woodshed brutal as well, but definitely in a fun way.

Some others:

The Black Course and Orange Crush in WV
Armco Park - Blue in KY
Friends of Punderson in OH
Idlewild

Last edited:

Latest posts