• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What are the shots you need in the bag?

MNcyclone

Double Eagle Member
I was thinking about how I arrange my bag compared to other people. It seems like some people bag certain discs for lines, others for situations, still others for specific holes. How do you choose which discs go into your bag?

My bag is chosen based on distances and stability. The distances I bag are putter, mid, fairway, and distance. Then I get an overstable, neutral, and understable disc for each distance. Add on top a roller, max D warp speed driver, and a putting putter and I'm done. Very regimented and specific, and always in order from shortest to longest, least to most stable in the bag.

So how do you guys do it?

That sounds quite a bit like how I do it. But I've recently gotten the ability to flip 11-13 speed drivers, so I have been fiddling with lines with those.

For instance: I know my Buzzz will flip and hold a straight line forever for me, while a vector won't flip unless I crank it some, and it's gonna fade religiously. Or, I know my wraith will hyzer-flip and s-curve, the destroyer will flip and fade some, and XCal will flip and fade quite a bit.

So, it's finding what things do for me, and then filling in holes from there. I'm currently in the market for an overstable fairway, crazy overstable mid, and an understable mid, three lines I don't have at the moment. So........ Yeah.......

For me it is getting easier to make my bag as I have realized the most comfortable discs in my hand. It is not about what other guys on here like, it is what I like and what I can throw the best.

For me I carry the following:
3 wizards, 1 medium for extra glide longer putts, 1 soft for main putt in the 30 ft in area and a SSS for shots downhill for less rollawy odds.
2 buzzz, 1 EMAC and a flx. I carry a heavy EMAC for straight shots and the flx basically holds any line, I like the light one I have at 166 right now.
2 sidewinders, I like both for the same reason, feeling in my hand, one is beatup for longer annys and the new fresh one is a good uphill driver.
3 rivers, 1 is beatup and is a great tight woods go to disc, 2 fresh ones, 1 max weight and the other is a 172. I like having 3 do different things but all work good.
2 Star Wraiths, 1 beatup and one new. Both are super light and shockingly overstable.
1 spirit, for steep forehand shots and skips
1 rampage, main forehand and great for hook thumbs
1 ESP predator, pretty beatup and gets out there good now, does not fade til the very end.
1 Archon, this is my go to downhill driver, not a world class arm here by anymeans but made it down for a putt at Hyland this year already.
1 Pro Valkyrie, don't use it too much anymore but still is a solid disc.
1 Pro Destroyer, had a few before and lost them. Bought another one that just did not feel the same plastic wise but this one is good!
1 pro d hawk, a great straight and tightwooded shot!

I would say that my most used discs are my Rivers, Buzzz and Wizards. I used to worry a heck of a ton more about trying to throw 400 ft than my accuracy but my scores have really improved trying to slow it down and be accurate. I throw my Wizard inside 125 ft, I used to go out to 200 but realized that I wanna score good and not stroke my ego on "internet distance". I use the buzzz from 125-250 ft. Use my Rivers from 225 ft-300 ft. Sidewinders from 275+ and Pro Destroyers on the longest holes over 400 ft. My max consistant distance is about 300-330 but have gotten a couple in the 350 range before.

I have stable, understable, and over stable in every category except putters. I just use different wear/plastic on 2 molds.

Big hafner, you should check out a trident. Super overstable fairway, almost a mid. Only a 5 speed. Its what i use for anything 125-250 that needs a meaty hook. Even more so than my gator. It can skip far though, but its pretty consistent so i just have to take that into account when I'm aiming.

Left to right when I'm facing my bag it's arranged fastest and most OS to slowest and most understable.
I work in a dx condor and proD zone when needed for course or conditions but other than that my bag stays the same. Unless I'm trying out a disc or two and I toss those in for that day.

I try as few molds as possible because too many discs makes me antsy to throw something. I try molds that can be used in stages of wear (rocs for now). i also try to find molds that will go as straight as possible as there are mostly wooded courses around me so straight shots are needed. for that i throw mixed weights and plastics of avengers, avenger ss, and leopards. ill keep a stable to overstable driver (z avenger) as i dont play much with huge headwinds and spiking the avenger is pretty simple. Putters i fluctuate to whatever feels good that day as all the putter molds i have are relatively neutral. mostly i adjust my body to my game and the course instead of changing up my bag. i read somewhere on dgcr that feldberg had asked climo how he throws teebirds without flipping them in the most insane headwinds, and climo said you gotta learn the disc and make it work.

Basically, my bag is built around two styles: Power and finesse.

Finesse discs: Summit, Fuse, Axis, Panther, Leopard, Valk
Power: Ion, Nebula, Vector, Eagle, Banshee, Starfire (FH)

So basically every distance range has a power or finesse option. Since I don't have a big arm, I carry more mids than most and they fall into two speeds, slow (Fuse, Axis, and Vector) and fast (Nebula and Panther). The latter provide some slightly better options on lots of wooded courses which I predominately play.

Basically, my bag is built around two styles: Power and finesse.

Finesse discs: Summit, Fuse, Axis, Panther, Leopard, Valk
Power: Ion, Nebula, Vector, Eagle, Banshee, Starfire (FH)

So basically every distance range has a power or finesse option. Since I don't have a big arm, I carry more mids than most and they fall into two speeds, slow (Fuse, Axis, and Vector) and fast (Nebula and Panther). The latter provide some slightly better options on lots of wooded courses which I predominately play.

what an interesting way to order your bag. i might give this a try. i have my bag ordered the same as everyone else, slow to fast, understable to overstable. sounds fun

Currently two molds cover each speed class, but at least 3 discs total in each class.
I tried to pick versitile molds that would cover all shots.

Beat pro d challenger/ worn pro d challenger/ worn esp zone
slightly worn rr comet/ well worn esp wasp/ worn elite z wasp
worn tp clone/ worn esp clone/ worn elite x pred/ worn sp tsunami
worn esp surge/ worn z surge/ worn esp force

I sort by shades of blue. Mids sit on ends.

Last edited:
What are the shots you need in the bag?

Hyzer, flat, anhyzer...sometimes I throw a crappy thumber.

As for my discs, I follow the standard paradigm. 3-4 discs covering a range of stability in each of 4 major categories: putter, mid-range, driver, max distance driver.

I rearrange them in my bag all the time. They do have an order, but they get messed up while I'm playing.

I need to feel like my disc selection can combat different wind conditions and have line-shaping versatility in a range of distances. Neutral to stable discs have the most range for me covering a number of lines (Anode, Axis, River) where my stable to overstable needs are covered with the Vector and PD2. The PD2 also fills a utility role being competent at headwinds and OH or hard doglegs or skip shots. I throw FH and BH which limits the number of molds I carry. I also rotate through long range discs for max power shots where that little bit of extra D is handy.

I keep two bags. The first is very similar to yours, although I don't keep a dedicated roller. My least stable mid and fairway discs are my rollers. I've also got a vulcan that I keep in the bag for a 650' hole that I rarely play.

My other bag is a nutsac. It holds six discs. I usually load it with two leopards (stable and flippy), two rocs (stable and somewhat flippy), a "disc of the day" (something I feel that I need more practice with), and a dx aviar.

what an interesting way to order your bag. i might give this a try. i have my bag ordered the same as everyone else, slow to fast, understable to overstable. sounds fun

I basically gravitated towards this approach b/c I never knew how bad the OAT monkey would hang on my arm for any given day so I was prepared either way.

I generally do the same thing you do, OP. Fastest to slowest, Most stable to least stable, broken into Distance, Fairway, and Mids with a beefy Wizard int he Mid slot, and two putting putters.

However, I typically feel most at home with neutral discs, so it's not uncommon to see me throwing a Teebird for hard left, dead straight, or big sweeping anny's- even the same teebird. I also feel naked without carrying at least a Z Xtreme and an absolutely trashed DX fairway driver, both for getting me out of trouble.

I have a very finesse filled game. I can throw about 430 max but I try for placement more than outright distance. I could go play a round with putters just about anywhere and still shoot well because on the majority of holes around 300 or less I can get a putter there, and I am more comfortable with it. I can take anything above a Teebird in speed out of my bag and shoot just as good as I could with fast things. The shot I use the most, backhand. However, I have a finesse flick upshot that is very useful.

It's all about placement, mental game, and just having fun for me.

Basically my bag is:
Katana/Destroyer-Max D
Wraith/Surge-Controlled D
Teebirds-all types of drives
Buzzz-all types of mid shots
Comet-stable/understable mid shots
Omegas-all types of shots
Crystal Challenger-stable and fights wind
Zone-finesse flicks

My bag is set up just like the OP

Ledt to right, understable to overstable. My bag as of now is:

Champ panther
Proto Mako
Glow Roc(7/10)
Star Roc
2 rivers( 166 6/10 & 176 8/10)
Star teebird
2 DX firebirds(1 6/10 & 1 8/10)
Champ sidewinder
5x valkyrie
2 wraiths (166 6/10 & 169 8/10)

Those are my staples with others working their way in and out if the bag

My bag is separated by distance, then stability.
Left to Right
Max Distance - Icon Rampage, Pinn. Rampage, ESP Force, flat Icon Cannon, Flippy first run Cannon
Fairways/distance - Champ Teebird, New Star Teebird, Beat Star Teebird, 5x Valk, GL Vision
Mids/driving putters- Cryztal Sparkle Zone, SE Z Drone, new Z Buzzz, beat Z Buzzz, opto fuse, G9 Wizard, S Wizard
Putter pocket - OG Wizard, SSSS Wizard

I'm currently in the market for an overstable fairway, crazy overstable mid, and an understable mid, three lines I don't have at the moment. So........ Yeah.......

Overstable fairway = Firebird or Flick
Crazy overstable mid = Drone
Understable Mid = X Comet

I throw all of these and they are awesome. The flick is definitely faster than the firebird but is way more stable. The comet is amazing.

Hyzer, flat, anhyzer...sometimes I throw a crappy thumber.

As for my discs, I follow the standard paradigm. 3-4 discs covering a range of stability in each of 4 major categories: putter, mid-range, driver, max distance driver.

I rearrange them in my bag all the time. They do have an order, but they get messed up while I'm playing.

I have my discs arranged in a strict order that used to be by color (that was stupid) but now goes in order of stability. that way if i throw more than one disc in a practice round i can know how many discs are still unaccounted for