• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What are your go-to overstable control (speed 9-10) drivers?

I'm actually kind of monitoring this thread because the Thunderbirds I like have been hard to find. Really interested in an MVP competitor bc I like light (160ish) Thunderbirds and I know MVP does a lot of lightweight stuff

Fission Photons. I throw a 158gm and it feels just like a slightly longer Thunderbird in flight. Dead straight with late fade. It's only turned on me once when I threw it flat into a 50km/h headwind. The "Bendy James" Volts are a bit the same, but they seem to be 170gm and up. I much prefer the Photon.

Haha, got an FX-2. Exactly what I hoped it would be. It's between Teebird and Firebird (Draco), but unmistakably stable.

I've still only been playing for a bit over a year, and have been through the "buy tons of cool discs without knowing why" thing. Along the way I bought a McBeth Champ and DX Thunderbird. I tossed them in my big Hero Pack 2 and they got lost in there. It was the mold I literally never threw or noticed. I was always throwing either my Teebird3, Firebird, or Undertaker. At the end of the summer I noticed this danged Thunderbird sitting in my bag that by now had maybe a handful of experimental throws on it. So I started throwing it. A lot. It's not my go to YET, but it's heading that way. I get what all the fuss is about. I'm especially liking the DX one and just bought a backup.

I've still only been playing for a bit over a year, and have been through the "buy tons of cool discs without knowing why" thing. Along the way I bought a McBeth Champ and DX Thunderbird. I tossed them in my big Hero Pack 2 and they got lost in there. It was the mold I literally never threw or noticed. I was always throwing either my Teebird3, Firebird, or Undertaker. At the end of the summer I noticed this danged Thunderbird sitting in my bag that by now had maybe a handful of experimental throws on it. So I started throwing it. A lot. It's not my go to YET, but it's heading that way. I get what all the fuss is about. I'm especially liking the DX one and just bought a backup.
DX Thunderbirds are nice throwers but I think they kinda need to be a cycle disc because they do beat in fast. I have 2 that I use as travel/water discs. I like lightweight GStar and Star. Pro is ok too but beats in faster than (G)Star. Haven't had good experiences with Champ drivers.

Fission Photons. I throw a 158gm and it feels just like a slightly longer Thunderbird in flight. Dead straight with late fade. It's only turned on me once when I threw it flat into a 50km/h headwind. The "Bendy James" Volts are a bit the same, but they seem to be 170gm and up. I much prefer the Photon.

Probably not gonna work. Thunderbird is about as wide a rim as I can handle and the photon is quite a bit wider.

Gateway Diablo & Gateway Blade are excellent discs in this category.
The Diablo is a little faster and a little less stable than a Champion Thunderbird
The Blade has great high speed stability but fades later than a Firebird.

Is there no FX-2 thread? Really impressed with this disc. I found a 167/168g one. Super impressed after some fieldwork today. Shot it out to about 400' on a low slight-anny release (BH), but it also has these firebird-like characteristics. It's really like a Teebird's big brother in terms of rim and stability. Great on FH ofc too, good distance plus OS.

I like the Felon for that type of shot. Not as beefy in general as something like a Firebird and I find they cover more ground and are more workable. Plus you can generally find them everywhere all of the time.

Agreed, it's the only DD disc I throw. I prefer the biofuzions, they break in to a flight the OP talked about (long flex shots), but start out overstable enough to fill the OS fairway spot.

Reporting back in-- I stopped at a local shop today and was surprised to see some Gateway drivers on the shelf, so I picked up a Blaze to try out. The disc was surprisingly comfy in the hand and the plastic feels pretty good as well (in hyper diamond).

The flight is something I'll have to get used to-- very straight for about 30% of the flight and a hard fade at the end. It's a great disc for spike hyzers and long hyzers on a slightly anhyzer release, but I also realized that I can't really throw long flex shots :doh: So I'll be doing some more field work and report back later! Overall, I think it was a good choice though!

Is there no FX-2 thread? Really impressed with this disc. I found a 167/168g one. Super impressed after some fieldwork today. Shot it out to about 400' on a low slight-anny release (BH), but it also has these firebird-like characteristics. It's really like a Teebird's big brother in terms of rim and stability. Great on FH ofc too, good distance plus OS.

Bagged a couple FX-2s for a while (400, and 500 plastics) LOVED the flight. But found that if I threw 'em forehand more than 3 or 4 times in a round (which I was. Routinely) they really started doing some serious damage to the top of my pointer finger, where the rim would rub... ultimately swapped back to PDs and Felons.

I converted to the Anax after all the later runs of PD were flying more like my beefy utility Preds. My 1060s fly much like my 7th run PDs did and are long flying and shapeable.

Wrath is my main driver. Mine is super beat in, so I can't wait for the restock next month. But, when I want something with more stability in the wind, but a Fireball is too much, I go with a Defy.

Wrath is my main driver. Mine is super beat in, so I can't wait for the restock next month. But, when I want something with more stability in the wind, but a Fireball is too much, I go with a Defy.

I missed news on the Wrath, but glad to hear. Have converted the bag to MVP over the last year and have wanted to check out the Wrath for a while now. My bag's mostly neutral with the OS/forehand discs being a Deflector, Fireball, and Defy. Of those, the Fireball's the trickiest for me, and so taking a tick off might be perfect.

I picked up a Ricky 2x Felon in Orbit (fuzion) plastic. I'd never thrown a Felon. It is really great on flex lines, and I parked a 280' uphill, late tight gap shot for the second time a few days ago using a flex backhand. Before, I only had hope to reach it with a DD Getaway, but usually hit late guardians.

This Felon goes far, fast, but goes straight to the ground. Point and shoot for low lines. Give it height and about halfway to it's destination it starts a gradual fade that progressively increases. Spike hyzers are very awesome. Flex forehands are very awesome.

Reporting back in-- I stopped at a local shop today and was surprised to see some Gateway drivers on the shelf, so I picked up a Blaze to try out. The disc was surprisingly comfy in the hand and the plastic feels pretty good as well (in hyper diamond).

The flight is something I'll have to get used to-- very straight for about 30% of the flight and a hard fade at the end. It's a great disc for spike hyzers and long hyzers on a slightly anhyzer release, but I also realized that I can't really throw long flex shots :doh: So I'll be doing some more field work and report back later! Overall, I think it was a good choice though!

HD Blazes have taken over the overstable Teebird slot for me. They're not Banshee overstable (and the last few years champ banshees have been bricks) but workable. HD is where it's at. Wish they made HD Diablos and Sabres. Though, as if I need more plastic.

plaz volts and fizz volts

I have bagged 2-3 thunderbirds for the last few years, and picked up a fission volt for fun. I've got a fairly fresh early run neutron volt too. I could swap either one of them out for my glow champ thunderbird, but neither are as OS as the 2019 Koling's I swap out with a Sexton firebird.

What I wish I could still throw in this slot though is a neutron shock. If MVP ran them one more time I'd find a way to buy at least a dozen, and have all the backups I could need.

Latest posts