• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What disc do you love but nobody else does?

I can't speak for the Dragon, as I've never thrown one. The Archangel probably can't handle your armspeed, but there are a large number of kids and old(er) players that don't have that armspeed, and the Archangel isn't too bad for them. I'm one of the old people, so while my XT Archangel that I got years ago (and feels like a pencil eraser) turns and burns, my max weight DX Archangels are understable but go pretty straight on a hyzer-flip where good form is paid attention to.

And like I said somewhere else, if my DX Archangel is consumed by the DG gods in the lake, I'm not losing my beloved Champ Leopard3 or I-blend Sphinx.

Yeah same reasons I use a Dragon. However not a kid nor a older player, just a smaller adult player where 12 speed discs are as fast as I will go. I just need a way to reach the Dragon from the top of water when the disc lands there. I do have enough arm speed for a Champ Destroyer the 168-168 gram discs work best but when an open tailwind shot is available or an open shot I do not need to fight the wind at all I might use my Dragon as it's lightweight helps me to bomb the disc a long way if I am not hooking the disc on my fingers for some reason or the disc in my bag is almost worn out.

I don't see them often either. I think the XCal is a fairly overlooked mold. Most people probably think they're too overstable to bag/throw. I use my champ XCal for normal drives when the wind starts picking up... or when I want a reliable late fade. I like being able to throw the XCal pretty much as hard as I can and knowing where it will end up.

For being as overstable as it is the XCal will still go a long way flat before abruptly fading. It isn't one of those massively overstable discs that's impossible to throw.

I agree completely, I wish it just didn't take me so long to figure out how good they are. I think Sexton says it best in his ITB vids, which is that they go straighter and more mellow fade than an OS destroyer that fades super hard earlier. Now that I like star Xcals another issue is nobody has any fsot

I agree completely, I wish it just didn't take me so long to figure out how good they are. I think Sexton says it best in his ITB vids, which is that they go straighter and more mellow fade than an OS destroyer that fades super hard earlier. Now that I like star Xcals another issue is nobody has any fsot

XCals are beauties. I don't pull mine out a ton, maybe a couple times a round. If the wind is dead calm I may not pull it out at all. I sometimes use the XCal on the same drives I'd otherwise use a Teebird or Thunderbird on. I'll just aim the XCal more to the right to account for the large amount of late fade. Very predictable flight. I seldom throw the XCal off line.

I get a little more distance out of a Destroyer, but when the wind is blowing I much prefer the XCal.

I use my XCal so much that one of my friends calls it my putt and approach disc. While I have never (almost never?) putted with it, I do use it a lot on forehand approach shots.

Our bags must look pretty similar. My main driver is an insanity, my go to mid is my alias.

Other discs I throw that don't seem to get a ton of mainstream love: wrath, crave, matrix, particle, anode.

Well I don't throw ALL gyro - my bag is in the signature - I do like to mix it up so there are plenty of other molds I own and throw - but what I have listed is what is currently in my bag - my summer bag looks a little different.

My main distance driver is a Mayhem, Outlaw, or Octane just depends - but I love to throw the insanity even if its not a turnover line - the thing is just smooth. :)

Insanity. Nobody else throws them locally

Vibram Sole (Or any vibram Putter)

Frequent notices from other players when I'm bagging one from old and new players. They is rubber. Rubber grips to things like hands, metal and ground. Personally I will always be baffled why Vibram was such a niche brand.

If nothing else they are great catch discs. (Soft Summit top pick for that for playing with kids and soft hander's)

Frequent notices from other players when I'm bagging one from old and new players. They is rubber. Rubber grips to things like hands, metal and ground. Personally I will always be baffled why Vibram was such a niche brand.

If nothing else they are great catch discs. (Soft Summit top pick for that for playing with kids and soft hander's)

Same Could be said of the whole Steady Ed special Putter plastic they make good practice putters. Not many I know throw those discs But one guy with a cool private course 3 miles past town. At one point the Gumputt was like the Soft Pro D putter Plastic when broken yes in I have seen one that the same guy above was using before getting more and now the discs are floppy as I have seen besides the new 10 Meter plastic, a floppy Champion plastic almost like the Dogobie floppy.

Last edited:

Only saw one guy online test the stiffer lid putter that Vibram makes, he was an above the head two handed spin putter from Michigan who normally putted with the Aviar in either the XT or classic Grid model but made the discs on purpose slight puddle topped with weights on the in the middle of top for 24 hours as he did not like the big bead on the Yeti but wanted that feel. He never liked the Vibram lid putter, he wanted it to be a lower profile Rattler.