• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What disc is = to a Sexton Firebird?

It is tourney season, I imagine there will be some CFR color glow firebirds on the market soon if not already...

Not all Firebirds are the same. FAF vs the domed vs Sexton(champion plastic). As I do every so often I lose one that I have spent time breaking in to fly just right. Sextons are much less stable than the FAF right off the shelf. FAF's are meat hooks. Breaking in a new FAF white glow now, my guess is I will be at it 2 years to get it right. Domed seem to be less stable IMO and therefore closer to the Sexton.

I had an old 11x FAF(lost it)that was beat in and flew darn near straight on a flick and a new 2015 sexton was pretty close right off the shelf. Took just a few months to straighten it out. I started throwing the 2015 when it was an 18 dollar disc. If I had any idea it would blow up on price I might not have played with it. Nope, I enjoy throwing it.

My stock star is super beefy (very flat), perhaps if you compare plh like a previous poster said.

I've got a a 2018 Sexton on the way, more because I fell for the hype than because I really think I need it. I'll try to remember to update on here, but I've had 2 175 champion 12x Firebirds (i.e. nothing special, both purchased online) that flew great and were exactly what I wanted from a Firebird. Overstable and great for skips, headwinds, spike hyzers, hard fades, yada yada. They're not particularly flat, and I figure one of those FAFs wouldn't be nearly as useful to me.

I'm expecting the Sexton to be a little more mellow than the 12x champ with more distance potential, but we shall see. My main question is whether it will still be a "Firebird" when it comes to the skips, headwinds, and overhands. We shall see.

Latest posts