• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What Discs Does Innova Need To OOP

Seeing as how Discraft has recently mass-OOPed a large amount of models as well as plastic/mold combinations I decided to start a thread on what discs that Innova should OOP as they have a more cluttered lineup than any other disc manufacturer.
My list (sorry if your disc is on here)
Groove
Monarch
Archon (make room for the Mystere)
TeeDevil (the DDx fill this slot with added gilde as a bonus)
Viking (make room for the Savant)
Wolf
Archangel
Dominate
Skeeter
Aero
Lycan

I feel that there is also some molds that might be mentioned but they aren't bad molds they just aren't offered in the right plastics (Gazelle, Cheetah, Cobra, SL, TL3, Viper/Whippet)

The real question here, for me, is: Does Innova need to reduce the number of molds they produce? From a business stand point, I would hazard a guess that they are doing just fine financially & do not have the business need to cut back.
Maybe Discraft needs to reduce their product? Although I am, as of this moment, sitting within 5 miles of the Discraft plant and I do not have any inside information on the state of their affairs. However, I have heard that disc golf is not a priority for them. Ultimate is their bread & butter, from what I hear.
Then again, I'm sure this is just a thread meant to get a pulse of what disc golfers think.
So never mind. :)

That's why Innova has no plans to discontinue the Groove. Yes, folks around here love to bash it. Yes, it is quite possibly the most inconsistent disc ever made. But, it sells and Innova would be foolish to get rid of it.

One day the big box stores and/or their customers are going to figure it out and stop letting Innova push Grooves onto them. And then those great sales figures are going to plummet. And the the Groove will meet the demise it so richly deserves.

Do you bag Comets?

I used to be the same way about Rocs. After trying them on a whim they're the only true midrange in my bag now.

I've never thrown a Comet either. Another funny feeling disc. I've held them and hated how they felt in my hand. I primarily throw Wasps and Buzzes. I do have a Latitude Pain in the bag too. I like my mids straight to overstable. I don't bag any flippy mids. I've messed with stuff like the Panther before, but its too damn finicky.

Discraft is making certain molds OOP because they aren't good sellers. That's why Innova has no plans to discontinue the Groove. Yes, folks around here love to bash it. Yes, it is quite possibly the most inconsistent disc ever made. But, it sells and Innova would be foolish to get rid of it.

I would not complain if they tightened up their mid lineup. So much overlap there.

Sadly, this is correct. I find a lot of disc in lakes and weeds every year. I find many grooves a year. Surprising amounts. Part of me thinks people probably save them for water shots after they buy them and realize how much they suck.

Every store I go to that sells discs has Grooves. Its quite a phenomenon. I've thrown probably 8 different Grooves. A couple of them were OK, the rest were glideless overstable pigs.

I've never thrown a Comet either. Another funny feeling disc. I've held them and hated how they felt in my hand. I primarily throw Wasps and Buzzes. I do have a Latitude Pain in the bag too. I like my mids straight to overstable. I don't bag any flippy mids. I've messed with stuff like the Panther before, but its too damn finicky.

Comets aren't flippy. They're stable.

Come is not flippy if you're throwing backhand. Still useful forehand too.

I can understand not liking the feel, though.

As far as innova? Who cares. People who are approaching this from a business perspective clearly forgot this is just a bunch of forum nerds, myself included, who have nothing better to do than share their opinion about which discs they hate or like.

Innova could get rid of half their **** and still have an overcrowded roster. Too many to list.

:)

I don't understand why disc golf companies haven't used the artificial demand model? What I mean by that is certain clothing companies and other sporting goods companies will make "limited runs", for instance If innova would make only a handful of discs ever few months and everyone knew the stakes they would jump all over them. It your artificially create a huge demand and then cut the supply, companies that do this sell their entire inventory in no time. "oh there are only 10,000 Aviars then they wont be in production until I don't know when? better buy 6" 3 months later more Aviars the people who missed out then buy them all up boom sales sales sales. To the point of the thread they aren't making discs that they are losing money on unless they are stupid. The groove sucks and I have a beat wolf that I found in the lake that I throw at discs that get stuck in trees.

I don't understand why disc golf companies haven't used the artificial demand model? What I mean by that is certain clothing companies and other sporting goods companies will make "limited runs", for instance If innova would make only a handful of discs ever few months and everyone knew the stakes they would jump all over them. It your artificially create a huge demand and then cut the supply, companies that do this sell their entire inventory in no time. "oh there are only 10,000 Aviars then they wont be in production until I don't know when? better buy 6" 3 months later more Aviars the people who missed out then buy them all up boom sales sales sales.

They do that all the time via their Proshop.

I don't understand why disc golf companies haven't used the artificial demand model? What I mean by that is certain clothing companies and other sporting goods companies will make "limited runs", for instance If innova would make only a handful of discs ever few months and everyone knew the stakes they would jump all over them. It your artificially create a huge demand and then cut the supply, companies that do this sell their entire inventory in no time. "oh there are only 10,000 Aviars then they wont be in production until I don't know when? better buy 6" 3 months later more Aviars the people who missed out then buy them all up boom sales sales sales.

Some already do this. I seem to recall a limited run of full-foil stamp buzzes that were going for $100 a pop around Christmas time.

IMO Innova could be gouging a lot harder on some of their limited runs. The Sexton color glow Firebirds seem to sell out instantly and then pop up for sale soon after at well above MSRP.

Edit: As Civic pointed out, these are all though the proshop websites.

I said that certain molds like the Cheetah, Gazelle, and Cobra just needed better plastic options, I also think that if Innova made Star Vikings and Archangels they would sell more of them as well as possibly making their way into my bag.

Amen. I could rule the course with a Champ Cobra and Gazelle. I want to go to my local pro-shop and buy these. Innova factory store is no substitute.

A Wasp is almost an exact copy of a Roc.

I don't understand why disc golf companies haven't used the artificial demand model? What I mean by that is certain clothing companies and other sporting goods companies will make "limited runs", for instance If innova would make only a handful of discs ever few months and everyone knew the stakes they would jump all over them. It your artificially create a huge demand and then cut the supply, companies that do this sell their entire inventory in no time. "oh there are only 10,000 Aviars then they wont be in production until I don't know when? better buy 6" 3 months later more Aviars the people who missed out then buy them all up boom sales sales sales. To the point of the thread they aren't making discs that they are losing money on unless they are stupid. The groove sucks and I have a beat wolf that I found in the lake that I throw at discs that get stuck in trees.

So kinda like a McRib?:D