• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What division do you play in.

tigel said:
I play rec (only played in 5 tournaments). I think I'm going to jump to INT for personal reasons. Rec just seems too casual for me. I love to just have fun, but when I'm in a group of some old guy, then a really good sand bagger, and maybe some annoying guy It really hurts my game. Is that a good reason to move up?

My best placing is 13th out of 42, along with 25th out of 48, and 16th out of 38. Also I don't like having excuses but I will say every tournament I've been in I have had a broken or sprained foot. My last tournament (13th) my foot was some what healed, but I wasn't 100%. First round I went +4, second round I went +12. You can see how walking around with a broken foot all day, fatigue took over me. If I would have went +4 each round (which would have been easy, I could have went even on that course) I would have been first or max top 5.

Again I don't like making excuses, if I belong in REC, I belong in REC. I think 2010 I'll be playing INT for the sake of the environment.

Those are some huge REC fields! Jeeebus

tigel said:
I play rec (only played in 5 tournaments). I think I'm going to jump to INT for personal reasons. Rec just seems too casual for me. I love to just have fun, but when I'm in a group of some old guy, then a really good sand bagger, and maybe some annoying guy It really hurts my game. Is that a good reason to move up?.

On the west coast, the MA2 divisions I've played in were great. The range of skill levels was pretty broad, and the people playing at that level were all pretty laid back and fun to play with, but they were all there to play tournament disc golf. It's a great division to get your chops, but even if you never crossed over 930 and moved up, it'd still be a fun and competitive division to stay in.

Mid-Atlantic's a little different, more folks go up to MA1 earlier, so it kinda depends on regional tradition I suppose. But I don't know any place where MA2's not a good place for someone to play who's a good card-mate and wants something more than a casual round. I say git it!

I think you're right. I'm not sure what MA2 means, but im assuming intermediate equivalent :)

I think even if I can't get on the top card every tournament, I will ultimately learn quicker and faster seeing as I'll be playing with better players and I can personally that alone will help my game a ton.

My rating is poop cause I don't play too many sanctioned tourneys. I cashed in open last year, so I play open or pro master.

MA1, 934. i need to quit playing tourneys fucked up on pain killers. seriously, almost every sanctioned event i played this year i pissed away. :cry:

A little advice about playing up a division:

If it is a one day tournament it is not a bad idea. Anyone can have a good day. For a two day tournament you should only play up if you can have a bad round(for you) and still cash. Unless you are a true pro, it is very unlikely that you will be able to put together 4 good rounds and you will be wasting your money and feeling frustration. That being said, I've often contradicted that advice myself. :)

Average rounds seem to be in the 960s right now, so I'm in the plastic hurricane that is top 5 Advanced, or wishin I was in the plastic hurricane cuz I'm 2 strokes out of cash in open.

Maybe its just a Ny thing, but everytime someone wins a tourney in their division it seems like they're expected to move up. Personally I think its made most divisions fairly weak compared to other states, but hell we've never had a 1000 rated player in Ny either (from what I hear).

I played like a beginner today. I shouldn't have moved up. I'll think I play in Rec until I gain some wins and confidence.

I feel like I should have stayed in intermediate longer sometimes. I lack the confidence most advanced players have and wish I could've attained that confidence before moving up.

I say that, but i'm making steady progress towards cashing in advanced consistently. I just don't see anyone else on lead card freaking out about a 10 ft. putt the way I tend to do... I'm saved by my drives in tournaments, when they get off or I'm not confident on certain lines, i'm a donator to the advanced field.

In the last year my round ratings have ranged from 892-1025. :shock: 9 rounds have been above 990, 9 rounds 930 and below...I'm a tournament head case.

That's quite the range, discspeed. I now play in open...unless I see TeamTolland playing in Am1. Then I'll drop down just to beat on him and prevent him from bagging alone. :twisted:

TheTyrant said:
That's quite the range, discspeed. I now play in open...unless I see TeamTolland playing in Am1. Then I'll drop down just to beat on him and prevent him from bagging alone. :twisted:
MISC-SAND-BAG.jpg

:D I'm playin AM on Saturday then Pro in the next one. Come get some.

I can't make it Saturday but I'm trying to get to Tolland next week. Don't lose at home :shock:

981, hopefully rising again (fell from 987 - but last two events have been 994 994 1012 989 - only one below average round).

As for the Am Worlds/Am Baggers talk - Ricky Wysocki of NE Ohio has taken well over $1000 worth of merch since July. He won two events last month - a small C Tier and then a large B Tier (with rounds of like 1005/1050). And Worlds next year is in his backyard - north central Ohio. He's my favorite for both Am Worlds and Am Nats. The biggest strength of his game is his consistently great putting - his forehand and backhand are gaining more and more reliability as well.

Play advanced, considering open next year. Currently 957, but will nose dive after my performance at Coyote Classic this year. I also have a range from 998 to 888. When I figure out why I should be playing open.

Latest posts