• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What division should I be in?

dmruppert

So I've been actively playing for just under 3 years, but I've yet to play a real tourney. I played in a really small Icebowl this past year and jumped from am3 to am1 and beat the one other person in the division, but I feel like I would get owned in am1 at a real event. Are there any guidelines for determining what division you should be in? I don't want to get killed, but I also don't want to be that guy who owns am3.

Split the difference and play Intermediate :D. Being your first tournament there is really no way to get a real accurate guess as to where you should play. If you blow people away they will call you a bagger but at least you will know the correct division to play in from now on :D.

Look up PDGA tourneys that have been played at courses near you. Compare how you shoot to how the different divisions shot. See how your score typically rates. This should all help you decide where you want to be. If its your first tournament play where you want. If you are afraid you will mow Rec play Int.

Get a pdga membership. Play the first tourney in intermediate, then let the pdga system tell you where to play your next tourney.

This is how baggers get started. They play tournies with no rating and play in a division they can dominate because they want to win there entry fee back. It screws the whole system.

Most of the tourneys I'm looking at right now aren't sanctioned, so this does me no good for my first one, but I'll definitely get the membership if I think I'm going to keep doing tourneys... I don't want to be a bagger. I'd rather win against even competition!

it gets a little frustrating when you start playing advanced because there are always guys playing that level who clearly should move up. its like well guess im shooting for 5th place. maybe grab the last spot for funny money.

i played INT in my first tourny 2 years ago and i got crushed :/ 8 tournaments and im still in INT :D i have yet to win anything so i have not moved up :p

You will never know if you arent sandbagging until you hit the highest division. I honestly wouldnt enjoy a win in a lower league.

if it's an unsanctioned tournament they may only offer two Am divisions. I would look up tourney results at courses you regularly play and figure out what your rounds would be rated. This is the best way to figure out where to play if you are new to tourneys. If you want help with that send me a PM.

Latest posts