• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you throw over the water?

What do you throw over the water?

• Crappy plastic I can easily replace

Votes: 69 45.4%
  • A floater

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • My best disc. I've got this one covered.

Votes: 72 47.4%

• Total voters
I throw discs over the water, this is what backups are for...

I throw whatever will get me to the other side.
coolsmiley.gif

I never carried a disc in my bag that was a throw away disc, I always used my goto disc. I have lost a few of those.:(

I throw the best disc for the shot, however I do not throw anything that I can't go to the store and replace

This is the same for me. I can always find a DX Roc or Valk here in town, so I am more apt to throw those, as opposed to my DX Teebirds or any non-Innova plastic that I would have to order online.

On a side note, I have had 3 discs returned to me recently because a kid who goes to the school I teach at goes diving in the ponds at my home course. The future is bright, people. The future is bright.

Something that is easily replaced. Would rather lose a new unbroken in disc than an old war dog

Really depends on how much water it is. Only like 200 feet? I won't even think about it.

But if it's like 300+, I'll almost certainly disc up and throw something I know won't turn over hard. I can easily throw 300 feet, but **** happens and I don't need to turn over a disc badly and have it crash in the water. You also don't want to throw too stable and have it hyzer out early and come up short.

Star Wraith or something is a good choice, KC Banshee maybe. The only problem is that a 10x Banshee costs a little more than a Star Wraith.

For me it depends. If the water is right off the tee pad then ya I will throw what I need to get there. If the water is closer to the pin I may throw something I don't mind losing.

It really depends for me.

If I am throwing near water, or the basket is near water, I use a floater for sure.

If I am sure I can clear the water, with no problem, like if its less than 240ft or so, and no trees around, I will just go for it.

If I am not sure I am going to clear it, or a course I have never played, I keep some cheap, DX discs in the back of my bag , that are easy to replace. I never throw my good discs, near , or over water. Even if you can clear it, you can trip on your run up, the disc can take a bad roll, you just never know. All that being said, its one reason I always carry my Golden Retriever at all times in my bag.

i picked both crappy and my best disc, it depends upon the shot really. if its really high risk, ****ty it is...otherwise its just like any other shot.

Last edited:
For the most part the courses I play have little to no water. The ones that do are generally just small creeks so you can easily retrieve your disc. The nearest course with any sort of big water is an hour away. When playing at Rogers Lakewood its a pretty open shot so I throw what I see fit for that day. Most of the time it would be a river.

My home course is built almost entirely around water....I throw hydra from 250 and in so usually it is long enough...longer water shots I simply throw what I am most confident n...only ever lost 3 in the water

I have lost quite a bit of good plastic at Blue Ribbon Pines, yet that does not stop me from throwing what I need to make the shot. I am a little more hesitant at unfamiliar courses. Usually, I just throw normally because I can for the most part count on repeating a shot I have made a million times before, that way it is easier to visualize what I need to do, how I need to throw, and will help me guage if I can make it in the first place.

While I am always the one that feels I can make it and will always go for it, I have been known to lay up too because I am also confident that I can always take a straight run at the basket for my second shot where I would have been if I had gone in and would be shooting circle three.

Thankfully I only routinely play at four courses where the chances of recovering discs from the water is next to impossible. Most places around here the water is shallow enough, clear enough, or out of the way enough where it is not really an issue.

Latest posts