• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What do you use for driving putters?

Dire Wolfy

Still a puppy
I was just wondering, do alot of other players use putters for short drives? If so what distance do you use putters for? If the whole is below 230 for me I pull out my sarek, if it is a dogleg hole I pull out my judge.

hqdefault.jpg

'86 Yugo

Used to roll proxy/envy, but am now getting it done with an Ion and will probably use an anode for straighter stuff once I get the urge to buy something else. 300-325 is about the furthest I'll stretch it out to, usually I feel comfortable up to 300 for most holes.

Harps and Wizards.
Harps go farther and hold hyzer better. Wizards glide for days and hold straight/anny better.
I'll throw Wizards to 225', Harps to 265', and Rocs after that.

Reko/Scale combo. Glow Reko off the tee has become one of my favorite shots. There are very few things that make me happier about the progress of my game over the past year than stepping up to a tee that a year ago I would have thrown some goofy forehand with a crazy OS fairway that I can now throw a backhand putter dead straight 250' on.

I have grown to really enjoy throwing putters. I use a Classic Aviar; usually I carry at least 3 in my bag. A local player taught me a game that challenges you to get all you can out of putters. Along with putter-only rounds, it has really helped boost my confidence in throwing putters. An example was during the most recent round of dubs I played. There's a short dogleg left hole that people throw stuff like Firebirds, Monsters, etc. on (I used to use a Firebird here also.) I threw my Classic Aviar to within 5' of the basket.

I can see the need for a more stable/wind-fighter/utility type putter, but for me, cycling Aviars and playing with angles covers almost all the putter shots I need. If I need more than I can get out of an Aviar, I'm more comfortable throwing a Roc for the shot. For me, the ~230' range is where the overlap starts. I'm sure if I had more power I'd probably have a different answer, but for now, Classic Aviars are working fine.

When I switch things up for fun, I also like throwing an Opto Pure and a VIP Shield off the tee. I also have a BT Hard Harp that I'm learning to use. When I first started playing, I don't think I would have imagined myself having so much fun throwing putters, but here I am throwing a putter every chance I get.

Last edited:
Right now, I've been throwing and putting Dagger to great effect.