• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What draws you to a tournament?

1. The course
2. The competition
3. Ease of travel, distance, any other locals going, do I need to take a day off of work( I work Saturdays)
4. TD. Tournament reputation, some are a must attend every year

The main thing that makes me want to play a tournament is if it is local or my friends are playing in the tournament.

I enjoy matching up against my friends. Lots of trash talk to go around, but in the end we all have a lot of fun. That and the drive to see myself become as good as I can be are the big factors. But I list in declining order of importance to me

Competition
Rating boost
Player Pack/Payouts
Host/TD
Course
Money
Distance

Two factors for me really:

1. Will I be playing disc golf?

2. Can I afford it?

I really am addicted to this game so just about any chance I get to play I take it. I really enjoy tournaments for the atmosphere and the fun. I like to push myself and I am a really competative person in general. With the two points I look at it means that I play just about everything locally and look to find options for traveling as well. There are enough people locally that I can usualy split travel costs when going further away.

I like when the event includes some alternate layouts, or temp holes only playable during the event.

I was originally going to say location, but then I realized that of the 14 tournaments I played this year, I played a few outside of a 200 mile radius...

For me, it has to be PDGA sanctioned. The only time that I play when it isn't PDGA sanctioned is when it is a fundraiser for a local course.

The more rounds the better in my opinion, except for one round days. Although it is nice to get out early on Sunday and get home early, if I have to travel any distance to get to the tournament and have to pay for lodging, I hate having to spend a night to play just one more round. If the tournament is local, then it obviously doesn't bother me.

If the tournament is a two day tournament, then there has to be cheap lodging near. It is awesome to have a tournament sponsored campsite nearby as all the disc golfers can mingle there after the rounds for the day. I also like player's parties the night in between tournament days to add to the camaraderie and have something to do if I have traveled some distance to get there and know nothing of the area.

I don't care about players packs. I have plenty of discs, towels, and minis. Already have a nice umbrella and stool. And regular shirts don't fit me well enough, so I prefer lower entry fees.

As an AM, I really prefer a smaller entry fee, but am fine with a larger one if the payout is reasonable. Although I have more than enough discs, I just want to feel like it was worth my money.

I almost forgot the size of the field is really important to me. I find playing in small tournaments boring. My ideal tournament is a 4 round tournament with 20+ people in my division to really get the competitive juices flowing.

Last edited:
In Order of Importance(for me):
Course Quality
TD Rep
Attending Players
Payout
Driving Distance

I do not care about:
Players Packs - altho nice

1) The Course. I want a fun course, preferably one that creates some scoring separation (holes where a good shot is rewarded and a bad one punished, not a wide-open course where par is assured)
2) Location. I haven't traveled more than an hour for a tournament so far and probably won't much in the future. Wish I could, though.
3) TD. Do they have a history of running good tournaments? Have they considered all the possible OB quirks? Is there a decent caddy book (or something that covers these quirks, like the back of the scorecard)? Can the TD run a pre-tournament meeting that doesn't take a half hour? Can they tabulate the scores quickly (one of my biggest pet peeves)?

Prizes are very overrated, especially after you accumulate a trunk full of discs you don't even throw.

Latest posts