• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What helped lower your score the most?

MikeTheBlueCow

Par Member
What is the one thing that helped you lower your score the most? What were you scoring before you did this thing, and what did you start scoring after?

I was scoring about a bogey a hole on average. I've changed a lot of things this year (switched to a better more complete disc setup, changed my grip, practiced more), but the thing I think helped the most, and would have helped if I didn't change those other things, was that I concentrated more. I started taking my time with my shots, doing a few practice swings and really training my muscles to carry out the shot I envisioned with the right angle, power, footwork, lining myself up correctly, etc. As soon as I started doing that, I played my lowest scoring round yet and ended with only +2!

This is the one thing that's changed my game drastically. Other things have helped but only a little, where this helps as long as I do it properly and stay focused on doing it.

What has helped you the most?

I definitely lowered my scores by playing only par golf, even on shorter holes. But now I'm at a point where I have plateaued and need to mentally take it to the next step and have confidence to go for the bird.

Doing practice swings before every throw just like in ball golf and going out and only playing with mids/putters or playing with just a few key discs like 1 putter, 1 mid, 1 6-9 speed driver. All things that I've played with over and over got me playing better.

Adding to my bag of tricks.

Forehand (hyzer, flat, anhyzer)
Backhand (hyzer, flat, anhyzer)
Thumber
Hyzer Putt
Anhyzer Putt
Flat Putt
Straddle Putt

I have a throw or putt for every situation and I believe it really helps me keep my score down.

Adding to my bag of tricks.

Forehand (hyzer, flat, anhyzer)
Backhand (hyzer, flat, anhyzer)
Thumber
Hyzer Putt
Anhyzer Putt
Flat Putt
Straddle Putt

I have a throw or putt for every situation and I believe it really helps me keep my score down.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I disced down and worked on accuracy instead on distance, then I worked on putting.

Distance WITH accuracy shaved 10+ stroke off my score each round. Putting helps, but not when you can't reach the basket within 2 throws.

Switching from spin putting to push putting. My scores have been going down ever since. In general, I'd say practicing putting has lowered my scores more than anything else.

Putting practice.

Also keep score so you can write down whatever number you want. Your average will drop in no time!

As others have said, improving the putting game.

But it's more than just making more putts. It's having the knowledge that you can reliably make comebackers, which emboldens you to take bigger risks in going for it instead of defaulting to a layup 2 outside the circle.

Time, mostly. In my early days, back when I was improving, it wasn't so much one thing and just playing a lot, and getting better at all aspects. Improvement tended to ratchet; I'd make a jump, stall at that level, make another jump, another stall, etc.

But everyone says putting, and that was quite true for me. The biggest jump was when I got fairly reliable from 20'. Not just because I quit missing from 15-20', but because it allowed me to make stronger runs from 30-40', without fearing the comebacker.

Putting Practice,
but I wish I had spent more time on improving my backhand throwing form, instead of just trying to throw harder and farther.

Disc study/selection and working to drop approach shots inside my one-putt circle ...

.. and settling on the realization that I play best with discs in the lighter weight ranges

Last edited: