• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What is,"First run" ?

leathercash

Par Member
Man,hopefully you guys aren't sick of me yet. But hey,what is a "First run disc"? At first it sounds like it would be a beginners style disc. But if that's the case why the bloody hell are they so damn pricey??? Again I really appreciate all this info amigos. :D

Man,hopefully you guys aren't sick of me yet. But hey,what is a "First run disc"? At first it sounds like it would be a beginners style disc. But if that's the case why the bloody hell are they so damn pricey??? Again I really appreciate all this info amigos. :D

First run merely refers to the fact that the disc was from the first production run. I know Innova has released several "first runs" which are generally in limitede supply and hard to come by after their initial release at a tournament or some other such thing. case in point: the Boss was released a few months ago at the United States Disc Golf Championship. it was released in its normal Dave Felberg champion signature edition, but also in a "first run" star stamped champion edition. the first run boss is pretty 'rare' now and is also very expensive. I know Innova has done this with several other discs such as the skeeter (DX), kite (DX) Xcaliber and others. I honestly dont know if any of the other companys are big on releasing 'first runs' as I am more familiar with Innova (I am trying to broaden my DG selection horizons though ;) )

Its like finding a rare first edition or first prints of "The Wizard of Oz" book. If its signed by author, its even more rarer.

Same thing for many other products like cars, boats, plane, tv, rollerblades, bikes, playboy magazine, comic books, 1st edition Harry Potter book, etc...

Crazy, uh? :D

A lot of times people claim that the "First run" edition of a given disc has certain characteristics that somehow are not to be found on later runs. i.e., that they have become less or more stable. I only have had 2 first run discs, an ESP Crush and a D Venom. I have thrown later runs of each and they both seemed very consistant to me. Perhps it is different for other discs/manufacturers???

Re: Ace Race discs

duh, didnt even think of that!
are these released commercially?
Some are, some aren't. I think it partially depends on how positive the feedback is.

I looked into the Discraft ace race discs a bit the other day. Seems like itas a really neat program. The 2007 ace race discs was released commercially as the Impact. No word on plans for the 2008 ace race disc yet.

Its like finding a rare first edition or first prints of "The Wizard of Oz" book. If its signed by author, its even more rarer.D

I have a very modest collection of first edition books - mostly Stephen King. The better the condition of the first edition, the rarer the first edition (like 1000 copies were printed rather than 100,000), and the recognition of the first edition as a good piece of fiction, all add to its value.

I have a first-run Skeeter, but certainly play with it and wouldn't consider it more valuable than any other disc at this point. Maybe at one point it would be, but I like how it flies. Rather than keeping it in a closet to see if it increases in value, I just throw it.

I've also got a first-run Skeeter. I treat it no different than my other discs. It was the disc I used for my first and only ace thus far.

I've also got a first-run Skeeter. I treat it no different than my other discs. It was the disc I used for my first and only ace thus far.

:eek:
actually besides the first run boss (which perosnally I think is ridiculous what it sells for), most first run discs really dont sell for much more if at all. The first run skeeter sells for the same price as the regular skeeter on most websites.

Correct me if im wrong, but the destroyer and xcaliber were released as first runs with the large innova champion star on them.

When a disc maker makes a new mold, in order to have it approved for PDGA competition, they have to produce a minimum 2,000 of them (to make them available to the public at large). That run of 2,000 is known as the "first run".

I looked into the Discraft ace race discs a bit the other day. Seems like itas a really neat program. The 2007 ace race discs was released commercially as the Impact. No word on plans for the 2008 ace race disc yet.
The 2008 Ace Race disc is approved. It's called the Nebula.

Ok so then from what I'm gathering here,first run is more of a collector's preference,right?I mean, I don't NEED a first run unless...See I just can't think of any reason to ever spend the extra currency for a disc just because it was the first batch. It sounds like something a disc golf connoisseur would go after,I just want to play.

Sometimes they do tweak the mold after the 1st run due to feedback they get, but Innova will tweak a mold anytime so it's not just an issue with 1st runs.

Probably the 1st run thing is two things. You got one of them: Collectors. Back in the day there used to be cool 1st run stamps, and I have a few of those that I've hung on to just to collect. If you are going to collect golf discs, 1st runs are a logical thing to collect.

The second thing is plastic snobs. You know the guys...they only throw Rocs with the bird facing right. They only putt with a prototype Wizard. They will pull out a 1st run Gateway Inferno and tell you how the plastic was so much better on them than any later run and tell you they fly better than any later run and say "Too bad you didn't pick any up..." you know, plastic snobs. Plastic snobs love to fill their bags with plastic you can't get anymore, then try to work you on the course by telling you what a disadvantage you are at since he has all this great plastic you can't get. It's just a snob thing, last time I looked a 1st run Inferno didn't jump out of the bag and roll under the basket itself. You still have to throw the things.

So if somebody is trying to tell you that you HAVE to spend big $$$ on 1st run discs or you just won't be able to make your shots, they are just working you. There are hundreds of common discs on the market, and every shot under the Sun can be executed with them. A bag full of 1st run discs won't make you a better golfer. A poorer one, yes...but not a better one.

Wanna talk 1st runs,
Dad and I have an ORIGINAL EAGLE prototype(No stamp,Simple Urathane type color).Now this is the 1st thing Innova EVER made.
Then there's the 3 Pink Eagles W Stamps.
OK now lets talk about the Marino Plastic LMAO.Ceiling to the floor all 4 walls could be covered.
I think people like the 1st runs because of the stamp and because it's simply a 1st run. I personally like the old school stamp .