• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the fascination with Overstable discs?

Donald Smith

Bogey Member
The title says it all??? Over stable has to be throw with anny to get a level flight, and that is harder than hyzer, for me anyway. So, why do people like to throw overstable discs?

And just in case I'm missing out on something, what are the best overstable discs? Most of mine are under or stable.

Thanks!
Donald

Many people throw over stable discs to mask OAT and bad habits. People with a lot of snap also need more stable discs, plus they really make fighting a headwind much easier.

Many people throw over stable discs to mask OAT and bad habits. People with a lot of snap also need more stable discs, plus they really make fighting a headwind much easier.

that about sums it up for me.:clap:

i think initially its easier for noobz to get an overstable driver out there, but to make it to the next plateau, you have to learn how to finesse understable stuff and really work the glide.

Overstable won't fly off course (turnover or up-up-and-away) in a headwind or left to right (for RHBH) Since they won't turn over (unless you really release it poorly) you can elimate trouble to the right because you can count on it coming back left. A sacrifice in distance, for a guarantee in landing area. Throw low for less fade and higher for big fade.

Nice for spike hyzers, skip shots, S-shots, and big fading shots that need to go straight for a ways and then turn hard.

For me, it's a specialty disc, but has it's uses.

Why use overstable discs ?

The answer comes to most players after they gain experience.

For me , with my puny arm, overstable means HUGE flex shots.

I can make an overstable disc "fight" its natural tendency to turn longer than I can an understable disc, resulting in increased distance.

Yes, huge flx shots with overstable discs fly the farthest. These have set every world record.

Umm Valkyrie holds world record. Not overstable.

I use mostly overstable mids and putters. I find them excellent to get around corners with their larger fade.

Overstable won't fly off course (turnover or up-up-and-away) in a headwind or left to right (for RHBH) Since they won't turn over (unless you really release it poorly) you can elimate trouble to the right because you can count on it coming back left. A sacrifice in distance, for a guarantee in landing area. Throw low for less fade and higher for big fade.

Nice for spike hyzers, skip shots, S-shots, and big fading shots that need to go straight for a ways and then turn hard.

For me, it's a specialty disc, but has it's uses.

That's my thoughts about overstable too. I only use overstable for shorter holes that have a quick turn to the left (rhbh) or longer hole with a quick turn right (rhfh). I can usually throw the disc low and make it land pretty much in front of me but skip as it begins its fade. Also, in wind, overstable is the way to go.

While I'm not going to disagree with any of the feedback for overstable drivers, I use a Gator (which is crazy overstable) for short-range "get out of jail" type shots because it's flight path is very, very predictable...I know fo sho where it's gonna go.

Hyzers are generally easier to perform and more predictable than other shots and overstable discs are generally the same way. You won't get as much distance and your shots won't be as straight, but if you have the room for a hyzer you can get the most consistancy.

overstable is the general rule of thumb for tommys as well

overstable discs were originally just a forehand disc for me, but as my back hand got better and I started turning discs over more I started switching to overstable discs. The main reason I use overstable discs is because they tend to be the fastest. The overstable discs are the ones I get the most distance out of unless I have a nice hole for a roller. I have a pretty good blend in my bag now with a little bit of everything, but my force or my boss are my go to drivers unless the hole is shorter.

Overstable = consistency. Understable discs are much more speed and angle sensitive. Whereas an understable disc will really show minor release errors, an overstable disc will generally still fly straight and with a hyzer at the end. My two most used drivers (predator and force) are very overstable for that reason.

Overstable is also perfect for headwinds and being in Oklahoma, that happens quite a bit.

I use my overstable discs (currently firebirds)...

...for forehand shots.
...for skips and skip fades.
...for spike hyzers.
...when driving into a stong headwind.
...for Thumbers.
...to flirt with, yet avoid, danger (OB, water, etc.).

...for forehand shots.
...for spike hyzers.
...for Thumbers.

I think that covers all of it

Fascination? It's a must, I carry a couple very overstable discs. One is the Gator, for getting around trees and for skipping if I need it. Second is the Whippet, it is actually my overhand disc for really tall tomahawks to get over trees, also again to get around trees. Third is the Xcal for very windy days and long doglegs. Also carry a Star Boss for holes that I need to throw really hard and no matter how bad my form is the disc will not turnover very much.

While I'm not going to disagree with any of the feedback for overstable drivers, I use a Gator (which is crazy overstable) for short-range "get out of jail" type shots because it's flight path is very, very predictable...I know fo sho where it's gonna go.
Word.

Hyzers are generally easier to perform and more predictable than other shots and overstable discs are generally the same way. You won't get as much distance and your shots won't be as straight, but if you have the room for a hyzer you can get the most consistancy.

This.

...for forehand shots.
...for spike hyzers.
...for Thumbers.

And this.