• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the legal way (if any) to beat in a disc?

crd 81

Double Eagle Member
Sorry if this has been answered, but is there a legal way to beat in discs? For example, like throwing on objects that are not a part of the course.

Sorry if this has been answered, but is there a legal way to beat in discs? For example, like throwing on objects that are not a part of the course.

Rub it up a bit on the tee pad.
Throw a bunch of 5 ft. "aces" on an empty basket.
Throw a couple spike hyzers in a parking lot.
Bend the nose down to basically lower the parting line.

"Legal" isn't something that I would worry too much about if you want a disc to season in faster than it would on the course. No one is going to call you on an artificially seasoned disc.

If you're actually throwing the disc, it's hard to argue that you're doing anything illegal. Even if your throws are full power drives right into a brick wall.

I throw thumbers at smooth basement concrete. It gets rid of flashing and turns down the parting line, but won't take out chunks.

Aside from that, play more!:thmbup:

Put them into a tumble dryer on the "no heat" setting with a half-dozen tennis balls for an hour. Do this right after your noisy downstairs neighbors return home from work.

To actually answer the question: "wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes."

which isn't even a rule that could ever really be enforced. excessive sanding I guess might be a issue but even then really isn't something that couldn't be replicated on the course and hard to actually police.

We're self-officiated, remember? You'll know if you did it.

but is there a legal way to beat in discs?
Umm, use them? :\

I mean unless you made any sort of artificial beating in demonstrative and right in front of everyone, how is anybody going to tell you did it?

Place disc behind tire. Reverse. Forward. Reverse. Forward. Park. That ought to do it.

Old school. I saw a then PDGA Big Wig do this once last century, so it must be ok enough.

Curiously, what are you looking for out of the beat in? Changed flight characteristics or surface scuffing, flashing removal, etc?

Place disc behind tire. Reverse. Forward. Reverse. Forward. Park. That ought to do it.

Old school. I saw a then PDGA Big Wig do this once last century, so it must be ok enough.

Curiously, what are you looking for out of the beat in? Changed flight characteristics or surface scuffing, flashing removal, etc?

To change flight characteristics.