• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is worst a horrible putt or a bad drive?

Either one could wreck you, depending on how the course is laid out. Taco'ing a disc into tree 10' from the tee or having a short putt roll 50' from the basket are equally demoralizing.

I hate when I have bad drives, but generally my approach shots are the best part of my game so I can deal with that. A missed putt is just that, missed. Then I have to take the bogey.

Bad putts are worse I think. I can shank a drive and more times then not have a great upshot to put me within putting distance. Its when you have a great drive to 20-25 feet away from the basket and then miss the short putt for a deuce that really irritates me. Ive personally always been a good driver (300-350' accurately, over 400' with far less accuracy) but my putting is super streaky. Ill either seem to hit every putt within 30 feet all day or Ill miss a bunch from within 15 feet all day. Ive worked very hard to improve consistency. Driving has never been a problem for me though. My strong point is my second shot or "upshot". Im really good at getting out of trouble (cause Im off the fairway so much!!lol)

He's not a bad boy. He's a worst. Worst, that is.

A bad really bad drive is potentially worse for your score but hell I'm used to that. Chunking a putt
p!sses me off more because putting is something I can occasionally do. ;)

I would say that a bad drive really screws me because my putting is not exceptional by any means. If I can have at least an OK drive then I set myself up for a decent up shot, which tends to be my strong suit, and then most times par the hole.

Although, a bad putt is obviously two strokes at least, I tend to miss them when I have a bad drive which results in a bad up shot and a difficult putt. So I would say a bad drive really kills my game because then I'm not even in position to par the hole most of the time.

what approach is a good putting style? two feet in front or sideways putt ?

you can save a bad drive, cant save a bad putt. Not to mention hearing the worst sound in disc golf when you hit the chasity belt... DANK! Nothing is worse than missing a 15 footer...(except missing a shorter one).

in the short term i think putting poorly is the more frustrating of the two. in the longer term i'd rather have a better drive as it is much easier to improve your putting than your driving. putting is just about mental discipline and confidence- driving actually requires some talent.

I'd rather shank a drive - at least I have a chance to recover.

Blown putt? All is lost.

I'd rather be a killer putter, if I must make the choice.

You guys must play different courses than me. If I shank a drive, most courses around here, you're getting a bogey (a lot of times due to OB), no matter how good a putter or approacher you are. This places the emphasis on the drive a lot more than the putt. Example. Hole 4 Eastway in Charlotte, you shank your drive, 90/100 you're pitching out and laying up to take the 4. You pure the drive and miss the putt, you'll still sink a 3.

The standard drive for show saying imo doesn't work with dg. dg is drive and putt for dough.

Latest posts