• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your current internet distance?

What is your standard fake distance?

• 350'-399' (noodle arm)

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • 400' (classically conservative)

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • 401'-425' (just started working on my form)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 426'-450' (starting to see some real results)

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • 451'-499' (working on crushing the can and elbow chop)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • 500'+ (check out my carefully edited youtube vid)

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters

SonicGuy

Banned
I have been playing a long time and I have been amused by how fake distance inflation has occurred throughout the years. For a long time the standard lie was 400', but over the last couple years that lie has inflated to at some points 500' and beyond. I just popped into the Thunderbird thread and searched "400" to learn that many people are claiming to throw 400' with a Thunderbird, not to mention what they would probably throw with a destroyer.

Also related but not in the poll, feel free to comment on your handicapped fake distance. When the disc down guys were all the rage, it was always fun to boost your fake Roc or Leopard distance. And that devolved into the putter only round / Ion cult, where it was all the rage to throw 300' with your putter (of course the DRIVING putter probably went 320' ;))

What is the driving force behind fake distance inflation? Is it disc improvements? Seeing that the high bar is usually "I throw 520' with a destroyer" I don't really understand how the inflation is being driven over the last couple years. Is it the current internet fad of form improvement? Has watching Sidewinder on youtube helped push your fake disc golf game to that next level? Or is it simply one uppers going around for long enough where stopping at 400' just doesn't quite elevate you enough in the free market of internet distance?

Also welcomed are your best justifications for your inflated number. Examples: "Dude I actually throw 520', but only in the field. On the course I usually max out around 380'" or "throwing 400' isn't hard at all, I can throw 400' just using the Beto drill; getting past 500' is actually the hard part"

Working on crushing the (beer) can with elbow chops (to my mouth).

Pumping my Pink Condors out to distances beyond measure, on a golf line.

I voted noodle arm, but forehand Roc roller with a tailwind on a frozen golf course in Livingston Montana? 1,200+ easy.

I actually use the roller distance achievement to augment my pedestrian 400' internet distance. Good call :thmbup:

Its not that uncommon in most sports for people to inflate their abilities. I don't know why, ego? I think I normally tend to undersell myself most of the time in these things. I tried to make a joke once about how far I threw a throw-oller, was probably in the 325' range, and I said something like yeah I get 600' on those typically. Ended up getting berated about the distance thing and at that point they wouldn't believe it was a joke. I've always found it funny that internet distance on rollers seems to be even more exaggerated than throwing.

From what I've seen a LOT of people take a down hill throw as their distance. So there's my poll answer. I've thrown a Star Valkyrie 490 on a down hill hole... so therefore I'm almost a 500' thrower just trying to break that distance. Mids about 400' and Putters 360'. (same hole as the valk put a judge about 10' past the pin which is 345'... so that makes me a 360' putter thrower right?) there are a few holes on my home course I throw mids where the hole is listed at 345 or 350. Measures out at that on google maps. I think a mid's glide on a slight down hill really is good for a huge bonus in distance. I know I've thrown on the 350' that really got a hold of it, like over 300' in the field, about 10' past the basket (could have and probably did skip ~15-20') and one of the guys I'm playing with says "man that's almost 400' with a midrange!!"

I don't know I think all of that type of stuff adds up to getting on the internets and then taking that info and inflating a bit more? Maybe people believe that it gives them more credibility online?

Flat ground? I think I max out about 375' But A) don't do enough field work, and B) when I do its almost always mid ranges those go 280' with the occasional over 300'.

I love the guys that post form critique videos and then say they are currently maxxing out at about 500 feet and they need to figure out what is wrong.

It's because we all play that one hole which is about 500ft to the basket. It's down hill and with a decent wind you can actually go for a bird. So from then on your internet distance is 500. If you can get a par, your internet distance is 400. Bogies? Don't worry, your internet distance is still easily 300. ;)

Hey, dramatically turning over a hyzerflip and having it fly 520' in the wrong direction, is still throwing 520'. Damn straight the internet is gonna hear about it!

It's because we all play that one hole which is about 500ft to the basket. It's down hill and with a decent wind you can actually go for a bird. So from then on your internet distance is 500. If you can get a par, your internet distance is 400. Bogies? Don't worry, your internet distance is still easily 300. ;)

This is actually one I suffer from. You can throw a max drive inside the circle on a 420' hole and yet only be throwing 395'. And you better believe I mark it down as a 420' drive ;)

some people are the real deal, whether you wish to believe it or not.

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/BigDList.html

i appear on this list, along with many of my old friends, and my name is above #175.

i thought my result pretty good for the mid 90's, but whatever - a 'B+'...
this result was not a '1-off' merely the only 'internet corroboration' handy...

check w/ Max or Stokley if you disbelieve...or have any ideas about reinventing the wheel.

for the curious, on this occasion, i was throwing dx whippets...don't get mad, now that i'm pushing 60, 400'+ is pretty hard to get these days...

some people are the real deal, whether you wish to believe it or not.

Obviously some people are the real deal. And even some internet personalities are the real deal; I am inclined to believe that Sidewinder throws very far. But clearly a great many people, I would even say the majority, do not throw anywhere near their internet self reported distance.

BTW, if I am going to judge the most impressive throw of all time, it would be this one. Sea level, in the 80's, with a Phenix.

117 Sam Ferrans USA 190.07 623.59 Phenix 176 La Habra, CA, USA 113 / 372 1988

My personal distance records always get foiled by hitting a tree. Was heading toward 600 on a golf line, but netted only 85 feet or so. The line's there; would have been 600 but for that darn tree. Is that a new branch? Wasn't there last week. I swear.

no box to mark 210'. I can't even lie correctly....

3ifs8a.jpg

Latest posts