• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your "Epic Roadtrip"

I donno if I can really come up with a true list. I think my "epic" road trip would be one where I just hang out with my family and we just have a good time. Frankly, I think that could be done almost anywhere really.

I have been itching for a Pacific Northwest trip that includes the Portland area and various parts of Washington.

A close #2 for me is the New England area. I'm not sure I could go wrong in either area right now.

While I understand that there are plenty of great courses in other parts of the country, Austin and the rest of the dirty south is just going to have to wait.

My serious answer to this question. Having seen nearly all the top courses in every corner of the country, suggesting the most "epic" road trip possible is intriquing, and I gave it quite some thought. As unbiased as possible, I suggest a Wisconsin focus with a taste of some neighboring states. In logistical driving order, this trip would include: Mont du Lac, 2 days at Highbridge, Sandy point, Tailings, Winter Park, Rollin Ridge, Zobel, Standing Rocks, Justin Trails, with another couple days I'd add Twin Cities, MN area courses. Good luck fitting that all into a week, Epic is the name of the game.

My serious answer to this question. Having seen nearly all the top courses in every corner of the country, suggesting the most "epic" road trip possible is intriquing, and I gave it quite some thought. As unbiased as possible, I suggest a Wisconsin focus with a taste of some neighboring states. In logistical driving order, this trip would include: Mont du Lac, 2 days at Highbridge, Sandy point, Tailings, Winter Park, Rollin Ridge, Zobel, Standing Rocks, Justin Trails, with another couple days I'd add Twin Cities, MN area courses. Good luck fitting that all into a week, Epic is the name of the game.

I'm not seeing to many Florida courses on your played list. Might I sugest an epic level Tampa area trip? There really are a lot of new courses popping up down here that are quite good, and some old school ones like Cliff/Coachman. Or you could go to Antartica.

The highest priority area on my radar is the southern east coast, VA and FL specifically with some in between. I'd say it's likely I get there within the next year.

Great choice! I have played 4 of those and will have played at least 6 more of them within a month. From what I have seen so far and from what I expect to see, this WI area is probably the #1 area for great golf combined with beauty and seclusion. If that is the definition of "epic" I agree.....and it is my definition for sure.

But if great golf takes a front seat to beauty and seclusion (for the trip as much as the courses), I would think the same size area (a triangle with sides of around 250-300 miles) with better DG and much more DG and better groupings of courses......is the NC/SC area (triangle of Augusta GA - Raleigh NC - Bristol TN).

I am not as well traveled as Martin, however, if you want epic, visit Northern and eastern Wisconsin. I have visited many courses in several states. I agree 100 percent with Martin, that sounds like a fun roadie for sure. The courses are epic, the scenery is the most beautiful in the midwest. The trip from duluth to highbridge is awesome (lake superior). The courses will shread you apart but well worth it. Highbridge, Telemark (if still up) Sandy Point are all within an 1.5 hour triangle. I also know off a private course in Hayward that is top 5 material as well.

im a homer so im going all michigan. right now would be the perfect time to go since bugs arent too bad yet and Toboggan is open.

day1: both Birchfield courses and Grand Woods
day2: Hanson Hills and Boyne
Day3: Various Carlys Playground formats
Day4: Hickory Hills and Myles Kimmerly
Day5: Beauty, Beast, Leviathan
Day6: Flip City, Bluegill
Day7: Kensington Toboggan

Make sure day 6 is a wednesday, as that seems to tbe the only day you play at Bluegil

im a homer so im going all michigan. right now would be the perfect time to go since bugs arent too bad yet and Toboggan is open.

day1: both Birchfield courses and Grand Woods
day2: Hanson Hills and Boyne
Day3: Various Carlys Playground formats
Day4: Hickory Hills and Myles Kimmerly
Day5: Beauty, Beast, Leviathan
Day6: Flip City, Bluegill
Day7: Kensington Toboggan

I'm not see'n any Ann Arbor/Ypsi area courses on that list. Saving them for week 2?

Why travel south in the summer? Sounds not fun. The upper midwest has some nice weather.

The highest priority area on my radar is the southern east coast, VA and FL specifically with some in between. I'd say it's likely I get there within the next year.

Let me know when you get to Va, I'd love to throw a round with you somewhere in Lynchburg or Appomattox maybe....................jb:thmbup:

I have been itching for a Pacific Northwest trip that includes the Portland area and various parts of Washington.

if you get out here let me know and would love to show you around this town. I you like Beer time it around a Beer fest.

Hippy007

I am not as well traveled as Martin, however, if you want epic, visit Northern and eastern Wisconsin. I have visited many courses in several states. I agree 100 percent with Martin, that sounds like a fun roadie for sure. The courses are epic, the scenery is the most beautiful in the midwest. The trip from duluth to highbridge is awesome (lake superior). The courses will shread you apart but well worth it. Highbridge, Telemark (if still up) Sandy Point are all within an 1.5 hour triangle. I also know off a private course in Hayward that is top 5 material as well.

You speaking of Harold's course? I was wondering if that was still up, have not played there in years.

if you get out here let me know and would love to show you around this town. I you like Beer time it around a Beer fest.

Hippy007

I appreciate the offer. Although I have no idea when....it will happen! :thmbup:

I'd love to time it around an SCI show or 3 at Hornings, but it's not going to happen for me this August. Are the courses still playable during that kind of event?

July 2010 My brother and i has to do some point of sale training in Lexington, KY. We left Houston and played:

LA: Lake Bistineau State Park
AR: Horseshoe Canyon Ranch
MO: Sioux Passage
IN: Mesker Park
KY: Banclick, Idlewild
OH: Mt Airy
KY: Holler in the Hills
TN: Bud Hill
TX: we planned to play lindsey gold as our last course but there was a tourney going on when we showed up. We drove down to Huntsillve, TX and played Shawshank instead.

I appreciate the offer. Although I have no idea when....it will happen! :thmbup:

I'd love to time it around an SCI show or 3 at Hornings, but it's not going to happen for me this August. Are the courses still playable during that kind of event?

Hornings courses are closed during music events.

Latest posts