• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your favorite Ace Pot format at tournaments?

1$ per round separate from entry fee. If no one hits it in all the rounds CTP for people who bought into the ace pool to take it all.
If multiples are hit, split evenly.

If no one gets an ace I usually do a one hole, throw off CTP with everyone where I try to pay the top two or three depending on the amount of players and money in the pot. $1 or $2 person for an ace pot in plenty in my opinion.

That was your question, right?

Yeah, I love the $1 buy in. If you can it's a lot of fun to carry over if it's a weekly or monthly event. That way the pots can really add up to something substantial. If not, pick a short hole and CTP it.

Most tournaments around here have $2 ace pots, that builds up a big pot without being quite as big a buy in, most people will throw in 2 where they might not do 5. I like the CTP throwoff if nobody aces, with the pot split between the 2-3 closest throws, you can still get a nice chunk of the pot but not the whole thing if you don't actually ace. Also, I've heard of tournaments paying out the whole pot only to the first ace hit rather than splitting among all aces, I don't like that one bit, especially since it's hard to prove.

we do $1 ace pot for the event.. and if there is no ace we move that cash to the next event..
We had run a league ace pot and a tournament ace pot as separate items as well...

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

My only issue with the CTP throw off is for this reason

A guy hit the cage in a throw off at the tourney I played in saturday, and he bounced far enough away that someone was closer, and the closer person won it.

so, imo, metal should be > close but no hit.

My only issue with the CTP throw off is for this reason

A guy hit the cage in a throw off at the tourney I played in saturday, and he bounced far enough away that someone was closer, and the closer person won it.

so, imo, metal should be > close but no hit.

That's a good point, I would have no idea with having a metal hit (probably cage and up, not including the bottom of the pole) trump a ctp when throwing off like that.

Yea, metal should be better than the closest disc. It would give more incentive to run at it, instead of laying up.

And to the OP. 1$ ace pot, roll it over to the next tournament if nobody hits it. You can bet a lot of people would show up for a 300$ ace pot.

WOW.. This site is cool! Its difficult to get opinions of local players about things like this, mostly just hear negetives... or folks dont really care..

Anyways, want to clarify that this is a standalone tournament. We have a league/mini/weekly toss that builds an ace pot up a dollar at a time, its great and gets big.. This tournament has a set goal of 45 players, so a dollar ace pot would be 45 bucks spread out over 36 holes.. seems small to me..

I'd personally go $2, its tough to get people to buy into more than that.

I did a 3 dollar ace and 2 dollar ctp for my womens tournament. Did that because I knew I would not have a large number of girls. Ended up with 26 eligible (4 girls) and 13 bought in.

Nobody hit an ace and the girls were generous enough to donate it to a player whose car got broken into during the final round.

I run an insurance policy ace pot. It's $1 to enter. All aces pay $50. One night I paid $150. Some times it's weeks before people ace. Of course when I offer to let someone else run the acepot no one wants to do it.

Looking for some opinions about the perfect ace pot. What entry price,
I'll pay $5, but I like $3 a lot better for a single day tournament. The higher the sum, the more it should be an option. Low entry ace pots $1-2 can be made inclusive in the entry fee.

payout schedule,
Single ace takes all, multiple aces split evenly.

and "no one aces" plan do you perfer?
Myriad of ways you can go with this...

1. The usual CTP throw off, although if nobody hit an actual ace, I don't see it fair to give them the whole thing for being the closest. Maybe split it up where the closest (x) people get something like 4-5 times the pot entry. It will depend on how many you have in.
2. If your tournament is part of a points series with a rollover going, some degree should be held over for that, have a CTP for the rest.
3. Occasionally we've paid off some portion the ace pot money $20 at a time through ring of fire. You get one shot at it.
4. If the tournament is in any way connected to a local charity, send all the ace pot money to the charity.