• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What is your mandatory disc for making mando's?

I carry a beat to snot Echo Star Teebird just for shots like this. A DX Gazelle is another great fairway driver with awesome glide and distance potential.

I'm having issues with sticking to a fairway driver for a mando that requires a straight shot start to finish.
The hole is only about 150-200ft but low line trees, making me want a faster driver type disc instead of a mid or putter.

What discs do you all use, for straight shot mando's from varying distances?
drivers, fairways, etc.

Well to start id say theres no "mandatory" disc for a mando. The disc depends on the type of shot, wind, disc, etc..

Id probably flip a soft judge flat or throw an m4 or m5 on a short shot like that.

yea teebirds and eagles have done well here, but it's the consistency that's hard.
sometimes they're too beefy, sometimes i overcompensate and send it wide of the mando.
i'm thinking a finesse disc is the best way to go, but one that stays low and glides far

I'd say a light weight fairway. They're somewhat finessy, but have a reliable fade. Also do very well on low lines, because they get good lift. They driver profile can give you a skip at the end, also.

I would check out a Squall from DGA. They are a hybrid mid/fairway and they fly very well on low lines. Especially for such a short distance like the hole you described.

Agreed. It also slides well if you get it too low. And, if you throw it too high into the trees, it's so awesome that it will come down in the middle of the fairway full of gluten free cookies.

Obviously it depends on the player. The shot you described I would power down with a flippy dx roc. With this distance I would trust the glide for the distance that way I can put my focus on hitting the narrow line.

I throw a Leopard with a slight hyzer release for straight fairway shots. It works great at the low ceiling course I regularly play at. You can never go wrong with a Leopard in the bag.

Vip Warship, it's glide will get you there with a very straight flight. Or maybe domey Opto River.

150-200' I'm throwing a Wizard on that...even with a low canopy. Worst case I worm burn it a bit and am still looking at a 20-30' putt.

My general answer for a shot i must hit a line is usually TeeBird - just depends on the shot for which one. I'd most likely be throwing my beat DX bird for that shot as described.

Sounds like a magic shot, or a zombee... Those are my go to discs on Mando holes... At only 150-200 feet you should get a magic within putting range

If I have to thread the needle I will likely throw a slow speed stable disc like a judge and if I dont make it quite to the man do you can still throw through it with a much more confident approach.

By distance:

ZH Pure out to 270'
Classic Truth 270'-315'
Star Teebird 315'-350'
GL Saint 330'-375'+

I hyzer flip all of these for my low or tight lines, and they hold straight to the end. Very reliable for me. I don't like throwing anything faster than my saint in tight woods.

Roc3, Leopard, or Rival depending on the line. My Comets and PA4 get a lot of love too for shots like that.

after reading old threads about peoples discs I bought a DX Coyote on eBay... that thing flew on such a rope it was a tad unsettling... just straight straight straight...

Latest posts