• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your policy on mulligans?

Our league builds in mulligans in for the more difficult courses. We have a wide range of amateurs so a little extra goes a long way keeping the newer players competitive.

Personally, I only take mulligans if I am not recording the round and the drive is so horrible because of bad luck that it does not accurately represent an average shot for me. I will play bad shots so I am only talking about the shots that are going to result in a +4 or the likes.

When playing casual rounds I like to keep it casual. ;)

This.

I have given up on many hobbies and activities that offer competitions, mostly ccgs, because the casual base of players evaporated, leaving only the competitive opportunities to play. I love playing in tournaments, but I will usually pick playing casual rounds with friends over playing in a tournament if both are happening at the same time.

Both during our casual round and in our amateur league we try to stay within the PDGA sanctioned rules, but there are times that being so stuck so far off the fairway that all fun is lost. Is there a benefit for practicing throwing from such locations? Of course there is. Are there times where it is okay to throw multiple shots? Again of course, how else are you going to learn about different lines and or what your disc can do. Should you stay within the rules as much as possible? Once more of course. Not only is it good form, good practice for sanctioned events, but most rules were created for safety of you and bystanders. Yet where is the actual harm of a casual mulligan here and there?

The fabled "Mully-mully"

I don't do mulligans myself. It seems like when I do throw a Mulligan it goes even worse than the first throw. I have to walk all over the place looking for it. Mostly I dont want to risk losing my disc.

I might take an extra putt every once in a while (if I miss the first attempt) but this is never counted on my scorecard & there's usually not a lot of effort behind it. It's more of a "See, I told you I could make that putt.." kind of shot.

As far as others just taking extra shots/Mulligans, etc. I'm mostly OK with it. But not if they take an extra shot on every shot :|

Sometimes I'll take a third throw with my mini (sometiomes called the Mully-mully) but this is usually an angry toss that wouldn't help my score anyways :p

If it is just a fun round we will use one Mully per 9. The rest of the time if we take an extra shot we still use the first throw.

I don't care if people take mulligans...but I don't. I typically don't do anything you couldn't do in a tourney...just to keep it all the same.

We usually throw two tee shots on the first hole, but other than that none. It's not really a mulligan per se, but it's the closest thing I ever do, for the most part, other than being the lone wolf in doubles.

^^^^ This is called "the carolina rule" if your in the carolinas your alowed to do this.....when i played BALL golf that was what everyone called it.....

My friends and I play that if someone uses a mulligan during a round that whoever doesnt gets a stroke off at the end of the game. It makes you really think about taking one, you have to think is this for sure gonna save me a stroke. When someone does use one it makes the other person not and get the stroke off at the end. This in turn makes us take less mulligans to the point now no one ever takes them, unless they are out of contention. If any kind of bet or money is on the line we dont use any.

and yes.......ive done this too many times in the past.

Ive done this too with a buzz I used to love. Just threw it as a second, feel good shot and completely forgot about it. I ended up leaving it right in the middle of the fairway. Never saw it agaain. But thats ok, bc now I throw rocs after losing that one.:hfive:

Casual rounds I'll throw 2nd and 3rd shot from a lie but always play the 1st. Then internally yell at myself to throw the 2nd shot 1st!

This.

Funny how knowing the second or third shots don't count makes you
relax and throw them better most of the time.

10 second rule only. If you want that mulligan you gotta work for it.

When practicing, i do two off one. From there, I keep my score the entire time so I only count my first throw but will periodically try another type of disc or try another putt to see if my modifications are more or less accurate.