• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your policy on mulligans?

Usually me and my brother play 1 mulligan every nine, but I am thinking about switching to none because I feel like I have cheated when I get a good score.
How do you do mulligans typically?

2 off 1 only. That is also only if I am playing one round. The second round would get none. That is the only way to get better imo since there are no mulligans in sanctioned events. I do throw a second shot here and there for fun but never count them or I might be pro by now. ;)

2 off 1 only. That is also only if I am playing one round. The second round would get none. That is the only way to get better imo since there are no mulligans in sanctioned events. I do throw a second shot here and there for fun but never count them or I might be pro by now. ;)

:rolleyes: This!!!

Same thing with our casual group rules, JR!

Come to think of it, we have allowed the occasional mully on the first throw. We just don't call it a mulligan.

We call it starting the round over, which technically is not cheating, it's quitting.

during casual play I accept one mulligan per round...otherwise forget it...two drives off the first tee isnt a bad rule as well...good to get loose

Just as almost everybody else on here - I never mulligan, but will throw another tee shot if I'm that disappointed in myself.

I'll throw more than once, especially if alone, but I know it doesn't count.

Judicious use of do-overs helps in practice and confidence. I'm fully aware that there's no latitude in a tourney, as is every one else playing the event. Your comfort level is your own when it comes to "cheating".

I encourage my GF to throw again because she's so new and I want to her to enjoy her learning arc and come out with me again. I look forward to the day she tells me to f&*% off, she'll play what she threw.

Same with my regular buds: we're encouraging each other, but also trying to move to mulligan-free land and consistent golf.

When I am by myself I throw my whole bag on every hole!

When I play with others there are no mulligans!

If you are keeping score, then no. If it is just for fun or practice, why not?

^^ This.
Even if I'm alone I count my first shot. I like to know my round total and hold myself to a higher standard. Casual rounds with friends i dont care if they do it but I wont. In tourneys if you can buy 'em i don't care, but I never do cuz all your doin is buying a better score. I know alot of unsanctioned tourneys are put on for a good cause and the money is donated so i dont fault the people for it, I just dont do it.
Wow, I'm sorry! After reading this post it kinda makes me sound elitest and I'm not at all. Mullys are just something I dont care for.

My friends and I only take mulligans when we all hit the same tree off the tee. Not just any tree though. The one they like to put about 15 ft. in front of the teepad with all the big notches in it.

During really casual rounds, my buddies and I like seeing each other throw well. So if someone really effs up a shot that we all know they would normally have made, we'll allow a mulligan just to see them do it. In this system there are really unlimited mulligans; but you usually feel kind of guilty doing it, so nobody takes more than 2-3 in a round.

When we're feeling more competitive it's usually 1 per round.

During really casual rounds, my buddies and I like seeing each other throw well. So if someone really effs up a shot that we all know they would normally have made, we'll allow a mulligan just to see them do it. In this system there are really unlimited mulligans; but you usually feel kind of guilty doing it, so nobody takes more than 2-3 in a round.

When we're feeling more competitive it's usually 1 per round.

this. this exactly

When I'm alone, I don't keep score. I'll throw for practice, so I will throw more than once often... even if my first one is a good throw.

When playing with others and/or keeping score... no mulligans.

During really casual rounds, my buddies and I like seeing each other throw well. So if someone really effs up a shot that we all know they would normally have made, we'll allow a mulligan just to see them do it. In this system there are really unlimited mulligans; but you usually feel kind of guilty doing it, so nobody takes more than 2-3.

I second this. Usually we just call it a frustration shot. We then try encourage them to play the bad shot because it is good practice but there are just times during a casual and fun round where being so far off the fairway just saps all of the fun out of the round.

Latest posts