• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I teach?

For my class at school we have a 3 week disc golf unit
Day 1: start by throwing frisbees backhand. Then we throw discs backhand. The kids will work alot on driving different discs standard backhand trying to hit blankets in the grass or hula hoop targets.
Day 2: review backhand and learn sidearm and huck for fun.
Day 3: Throw one throw each; backhand, side arm, and huck. Learn ettiquite and rules (introduce basket)
Day 4: Putting Techniques
Day 5: Simulated 6 hole course
Day 6: Field Trip to a real disc golf course

I've tried to help the guys at my work by playing catch and encouraging them to leave their "beach throws" out and throw decent flat forehands and backhands. I point people at the Masterbeato driving vid to see how to throw with power. I point them to the DGR short arm putting article and show them how I'm trying to learn that. It's really the blind leading the blind here, though, I've just done a lot of research.

maybe printing out some copies of an easy to understand flight chart they can keep would help. Imo thats the most important thing , understanding why your disc does what it do.

Almost everyone I see who has recently taken up the game that only carry 2 discs has a Boss and something else. They all throw forehand and usually throw super high. I see very few beginners throwing BH.

The only problem I have is the closest course to me is one of the hardest courses in the area. The easiest course is 24 miles away.

Do not take them to River Grove!! :) That's your first tip. A place with a lot of trees can be very frustrating.

Show them a forehand flick. They will probably get more distance initially and be more excited to continue.

I know people say start with mids and putter, but I learned on an Eagle and I think a longer, basically straight disc like that (or a Valkyrie) are good choices. Give them one disc and let them learn everything on it. Then slowly add other discs to their collection.

Let me run this by you guys;

There will be 4 of us there, so I think I will start with giving them a putter, and letting them play catch for a few minutes.

Then, we will work on some putting for a few minutes, then I will let them work on some drives and work on throwing the disc flat.

I like that starting off with some putter catch idea. Start em off close then have them keep backing up until their really chunking it pretty far out , that way the learn how to throw the same disc for different situations. Then id go straight to playing after that using just the putters , then work in the driving/putting excercises at points during the round that way its seems more like having fun then learning.

Let me run this by you guys;

There will be 4 of us there, so I think I will start with giving them a putter, and letting them play catch for a few minutes.

Then, we will work on some putting for a few minutes, then I will let them work on some drives and work on throwing the disc flat.

That's a really good idea. By throwing to one another they will still be throwing to a "target" so to speak. This will allow them to get the feel of a disc and work on their accuracy. Another benefit to this approach is that they will get much more play time with the disc as they won't have to retrieve the disc after every putt to the basket.

I definitely believe that learning with a putter is a good approach for the uninitiated.

I would even have them practice with the putter at a 150' from the basket. As they get comfortable with that distance I would move them back to 200' and then maybe introduce a midrange.

maybe printing out some copies of an easy to understand flight chart they can keep would help. Imo thats the most important thing , understanding why your disc does what it do.

While it is a good visual to show not all discs are created equal, newbies will be pissed when their throw does not do what the chart says. They have to understand weights before the can use the chart correctly

Don't take them to a frustrating course or it will be the end of their disc golfing.

Not true, I learned to play at Castle Hayne, NC, and it is a pretty technical course but it made me addicted as hell. It didn't hurt though that my friends and I probably drank more beers than played holes when we first started out though. :D

While it is a good visual to show not all discs are created equal, newbies will be pissed when their throw does not do what the chart says. They have to understand weights before the can use the chart correctly
true but its a start , plus they have the speed ratings so if they arent getting the disc to do what it do then they can look at slower discs. I know if i had known even a little about discs i wouldnt have wasted so many years not playing.