• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should par be?

Ukeubuuke

I ask what should par be when listed on the DGCR course page? The par given on the DGCR page does not match what the signs have posted at the course. What is preferred? That info on the page matches the posted info?

I see no reason why the DGCR course page par information should be different from that posted at the course. But each course is different, and there might be a particular reason why it's different in your case?

Not sure this is in the correct forum, due to the actual question rather than just the title.

DGCR par should be what is on the course signage or default all par 3 if it isn't apparent through a supplied scorecard or course map. This should be something noted in the review. I've seen and played a couple of those courses that are set-up/installed essentially for kids where the tee signs have Par based on about 125' max drive. List that on DGCR and include your thoughts about it on the review. It will give a better indication of the actual course design IMO.

Par should be ignored. It has no use in our sport, we just took the idea from ball golf. In ball golf it is used for the handicap system. Whcih we dont have.

From the USGA Handicap System Manual (USGA.org)

Par is not a significant factor in either the USGA Handicap System or USGA Course Rating System. (See Section 16.)

As for what goes into the directory, I would put the tee sign pars and try to use the PDGA guidelines to figure out what skill level color to assign to the tees.

Par should be ignored...

I like par.

Smaller, relative numbers are easier to handle than larger absolute numbers.

I can remember all of my PBs on different courses easily. +6 is easier to remember than 64.
Comparing to others is easier.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As for what goes into the directory, I would put the tee sign pars and try to use the PDGA guidelines to figure out what skill level color to assign to the tees.

Absolutely! :thmbup:

For instance, Winton Woods and Woodland Mound in Cincinnati are Steady Ed Frisbee courses. It would be silly to assume course pars set in 1980 or so have anything to do with the current course difficulty, so we have them listed with different color 'tees' so you can use the scorebook according to course par (as high as 69 for 18 holes) or tournament par (54, because there are no par 4 holes). We should really consider adding a pro par (38 to 44), but there would be a LOT of par 2's!

Par should be ignored. It has no use in our sport, we just took the idea from ball golf. In ball golf it is used for the handicap system. Whcih we dont have.

I'm pretty sure there are handicap leagues playing every week all across the country.