• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What state has the HIGHEST Average rating for courses?

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
This has become a trend recently so I thought I would try this one.

Anyone want to do the math and figure out what a states average rating is? and what state is the highest and which is the lowest?

I am not a fan of math so I will throw out a few guesses. . .

Highest: TX, NC, OR, IA, and/or MN (maybe VT - I played 5 courses two summers ago and all were sweet)
Lowest: IL, AZ (except for Flag), RI (only 1 course I think), NJ, and WY

I bet someone is doing the math right now. . .

I could probably do wisconsin, anyone in another state that wants something else to trashtalk about do your hom state. Do not include practice courses, temp courses or extinct courses, but I saw lets keep the private courses in, so it would just be the default course search, just do the pulldown to your state and go.

Sorry Illinois, this one is gonna hurt you too! :)

One of the regulars here had a spreadsheet that listed the highest/lowest for each state, etc. Probably had the average, too. Who was that regular, and where is the spreadsheet?

It might do a little of both prerube . . . it might come down to how many locals rated the courses and how many outsiders, but it is some more unending math and comparison for people to latch on to. I think we would be surprised how many states will be very close in average rating in my mind, and the higher ones and lower ones may also happen to be the states with the smaller sample sizes . . .

WI - 2.53 for 201 courses

Who is next? I will monitor this thread over the coming days and any smaller states with few courses I will also do the averages, but if you are in a state with more than a handful of course please do a course search and then run down the entire list by hovering the mouse over the rating and it will give you the exact rating for each course, and move down to the next. It took me 5 minutes for 201 courses.

Gimme a few minutes and I can do NH and ME. NH is first cuz it's easier.

Are you averaging the stars, or averaging the actual ratings? Better specify.

I am averaging the overall ratings when they show with 20 courses per page. Hover over the disc rating and it will tell you the exact average

I checked your math on New Hampshire and I came up with 2.65 not 2.86. You must have just looked at the # of discs visible which is not the actual average. If you hover over those ratings it tells you the actual average so 2.4 might show up as 2.5. FYI

I also just realized I incuded courses with no ratings listed, so my number will change. You have to subtract the ones with no review out of the course total

Wisconsin revised to 2.59 after 5 without reviews were removed rom the course count down to 196 from 201 courses

I checked your math on New Hampshire and I came up with 2.65 not 2.86. You must have just looked at the # of discs visible which is not the actual average. If you hover over those ratings it tells you the actual average so 2.4 might show up as 2.5. FYI

Nope I used the actual numbers and didn't count the one with no rating. Checked again and still got 2.86. If you're gonna be weird and check math for no reason, at least try to be right, eh? You divided by 14 not 13.

Michigan: 496.13 / (178 courses - 8 with no reviews) = 2.918

Hope I did that right. Did it quick at work

I see you were smarter than me and removed the non reviewed course. I would guess your other states are accurate then. Thanks for doing those three and sorry to convolude things here. I also apologize for havin 5 posts in a row on this thread. I will now wait for others to average their own states before compiling the list

Right now we have
State Rating Courses
Maine 3.31 (40)
Vermont 3.08 (23)
New Hampshire 2.86 (13)
Wisconsin 2.59 (196)

Just did Indiana. 93 rated courses with an average rating of 2.943

Might do Ohio later if I feel like it.

I see you were smarter than me and removed the non reviewed course. I would guess your other states are accurate then. Thanks for doing those three and sorry to convolude things here. I also apologize for havin 5 posts in a row on this thread. I will now wait for others to average their own states before compiling the list

Right now we have
State Rating Courses
Maine 3.31 (40)
Vermont 3.08 (23)
New Hampshire 2.86 (13)
Wisconsin 2.59 (196)

No worries, sorry for getting irritable about the math. It's a pet peeve of mine ;). I think I'll do NY and PA now.

Thanks guys . . . I will repost later in the day if I get a few more that come in. Its interesting that WI is the lowest right now partly because we have some of the best in the country, but we must also have some of the worst!