• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What state has the HIGHEST Average rating for courses?

State boundaries are almost useless for analyzing the geographic distribution of anything.

See map below. This shows the average rating of the courses nearest to each point on the map. Specifically,

(Sum of: Rating x Holes / Distance^1.6) / (Sum of: Holes / Distance^1.6).

The highest is about 3.5 in Maine, the lowest about 2.5 in Montana.

Note there is not a lot of variation across the country (see scale at lower left). That is why I do not use Rating in my formula to calculate Service Levels.

Look at Tahoe area on that map! I think Tahoe wins it.:thmbup:

So what your map is saying is that Northeast Illinois looks to be the lowest average rating for an area. That wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest, nor does the large patch of light green between WI, IL, MN, IA, MO. There may be more courses in this region, but overall there are as many bad courses as there are good. In my opinion that is not a bad thing, just the way it is.

Yup, second lowest spot on the map centered on my house. :\ :p

Yup, second lowest spot on the map centered on my house. :\ :p

Ah, poor baby!

Wait, I take that back. With more courses in your area than anywhere else in the world, you COULD be selective and bring up your personal average rating of courses played.

So, this statistic really doesn't mean much of anything, does it?

Still, I found it to be a positive that there isn't anywhere in the lower 48 that averages less than 2.5 discs.

Ah, poor baby!

Wait, I take that back. With more courses in your area than anywhere else in the world, you COULD be selective and bring up your personal average rating of courses played.

So, this statistic really doesn't mean much of anything, does it?

Still, I found it to be a positive that there isn't anywhere in the lower 48 that averages less than 2.5 discs.

That isn't all that shocking if you think about it . . . that type of place would need to have way more avid disc golfers than there are good courses, but where do avid disc golfers come from, places with good courses. I think it makes perfect sense, even though I know some small town has a couple terrible courses, yet the locals think they are 4's.

Latest posts