• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What state has the HIGHEST Average rating for courses?

How are you guys calculating yours? It's getting annoying having to switch windows to input the numbers all the time. I wish the numbers would still show up if I wasn't in that window.

Not to be Mr. Fuddy Duddy yet again, but the problem with this stat is that its a floating target. Every time someone posts a review, that state's average will change. I doubt that I could get through one of the larger states without the rating of a previously counted course changing.

Another is how exactly are we counting the average? Should two courses with differing amounts of reviews get equal (one course, one tally) or proportional (one review, one tally) weight? Should 18 holers count more than 9 holers (since a plethora of the latter will likely drag the average down)? Should things like land area or population density count?

I would suspect that Steve West already has some data along these lines on his website.

But for sake of fun, I'll play.

On a flat (one course, one rating) basis, the average of Kansas is 2.517.
On a weighted by number of reviews basis, the average is 2.97.
I might note that there are 15 courses without reviews (do not count), and 24 more courses with only 1 review (have the largest ability to swing with a single review).

Not to be Mr. Fuddy Duddy yet again, but the problem with this stat is that its a floating target. Every time someone posts a review, that state's average will change. I doubt that I could get through one of the larger states without the rating of a previously counted course changing.

Another is how exactly are we counting the average? Should two courses with differing amounts of reviews get equal (one course, one tally) or proportional (one review, one tally) weight? Should 18 holers count more than 9 holers (since a plethora of the latter will likely drag the average down)? Should things like land area or population density count?

I would suspect that Steve West already has some data along these lines on his website.

But for sake of fun, I'll play.

On a flat (one course, one rating) basis, the average of Kansas is 2.517.
On a weighted by number of reviews basis, the average is 2.97.
I might note that there are 15 courses without reviews (do not count), and 24 more courses with only 1 review (have the largest ability to swing with a single review).

I was just going with the overall average regardless of circumstances. I understand it isn't perfect but I am curious. Maybe we can redo this every year and see how things change. Arguably the states with fewest courses are most prone to large swings, like if Rhode Island gets a new 5 disc course we are looking at a swing from 2.5 to 3.33

So to compare here, Kansas has a 2.517

Here's a quicky way to get large amounts of data and calculate it if you have a spreadsheet ap handy.

1. Do a basis state search for the state in question.
2. Copy paste each page of 20 courses into the spreadsheet until you have them all.
3. On the column to the right of the spreadsheet, type in the rating for each course that has one.
4. On the column to the right of that, type in the number of reviews.
5. Once you have all the numbers crunched in, get the average of the all the reviewed courses, that will get you your flat average number.
6. Then get the total number of reviews.
7. Then for each course, multiply the course rating by the number of reviews in another column. A course with a 3.5 rating and five reviews should equal 17.5.
8. Total all the weighted review scores for each course.
9. Divide the statewide weighted review total, by the number of reviews. This will give you your weighted by review average.

It would be far more interesting to simply look at the entire distribution of ratings for each state. You could even analyze subsets, such as how the distributions change for low-rated course, middle, and high-rated courses. Etc.. How do distributions change when there is an obvious "homeboy bias" and things like that. Could be fun.

Nebraska

Flat average - 2.288
Weighted by review average - 2.74

Oklahoma

Flat average - 2.72
Weighted by review average - 3.04

Know a quicky-er way? Be timg or one of his minions and just do a simple query.

Only Tim has the access to the database to do those kinds of queries, mods only have access to the forum side of the site.

Know a quicky-er way? Be timg or one of his minions and just do a simple query.
Yeah, but contributing to meaningless wang measuring contests, the results of which are based on faulty data would be a waste of their time.

So it's safe to say that if the reviews are weighted the number will consistently be higher, therefore to get an idea of which state has the highest the current process without all of Scarpfish's damnable logic should still get us the required results with a modicum of accuracy.

PA = 2.75
NY = 2.88

Yeah, but contributing to meaningless wang measuring contests, the results of which are based on faulty data would be a waste of their time.

How is all of this going to be used in a productive fashion anyway? Even if this particular ruler makes the wangs look smaller, it's all for fun anyway (I.E. size doesn't matter it's how you use it that counts).

How is all of this going to be used in a productive fashion anyway? Even if this particular ruler makes the wangs look smaller, it's all for fun anyway (I.E. size doesn't matter it's how you use it that counts).

Its all for fun I agree. I was just curious, does it matter that what we are measuring means nothing in the big scheme of things no, but everything on this site is that way too.

I was just curious what states have the highest overall average rating, so i asked, and people have obliged with helping me with the work. I appreciate that.

Its all for fun I agree. I was just curious, does it matter that what we are measuring means nothing in the big scheme of things no, but everything on this site is that way too.

I was just curious what states have the highest overall average rating, so i asked, and people have obliged with helping me with the work. I appreciate that.

Always glad to contribute!

Here's a hypothetical example of why this idea is flawed.

Lets say side by side there are two states, Statesota and Provinciana. Each state has ten courses (two 4-disc courses, four 3-disc courses, and four 2-disc courses), therefore each state's flat average is 2.8.

In the town of Pukebucket, Provinciana lives parks department employee Roy Sudschugger. Roy is told by his boss that budget cuts have forced them to potentially lay him off unless he comes up with a killer idea for a new park amenity. So, worried about his job, Roy goes to lunch at a convenience store one day and buys three hot dogs, a seven pack of Elmer Fudd Light beer to wash them down, and some lottery scratch offs.

As he's quaffing down the seventh beer, he's sees crazy hallucinations of people playing disc golf on a 4 acre piece of park land that already occupies a playground, an electrical substation and once sat atop a toxic waste dump and sits next to a cornfield loaded with landmines. Roy scratches his lottery tickets, wins $10000, and donates most of his winnings into buying 18 baskets from the Almost Scrap Metal Disc Golf company, he spends the rest on beer.

So with his 18 baskets, a gas auger, and no course design experience Roy installs his course. Within a month, two players are maimed retrieving an errant throw from the cornfield, five others are diagnosed with cancer, and child on the playground is decapitated by a teenager throwing a 175g Ape. One player, fed up with the course gets on DGCR and posts a review for the course, giving the course a '1' rating, stating in the pros section that "land mines are cool, man!".

So now thanks to Roy's exploits, the entire Provinciana state rating gets dragged down to 2.64. Statesota now ranks higher with one fewer course because of something that didn't happen.

Last edited:
AZ - 37 courses with ratings

2.80 - not counting flagstaff courses

Last edited: