• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What to get when you're ready for high speed discs?

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I'm continuously working on my form and I've recently made some big jumps after taking a lesson. I've started throwing my T-Bird over 300 feet and many of my mids close to that.

I decided to try a blizzard boss I have and threw it about 350+ repeatedly. I threw a buddy's 165 Tern and it went a few feet farther. The Boss is presently the only high speed disc I have in the bag but since I'm getting so much more distance with the higher speeds now I want to add a few to my bag.

I liked that Tern a lot and am looking at the Crank.

What are some other good suggestions?

fwiw I didn't start clicking with high speed discs until I hit 400' with teebirds. Not saying this applies to everyone that was just my experience. Also was using max weight discs, not blizzard.

That being said one of the difficult things about suggesting high speed drivers is they are by far the most inconsistently run discs out there. I'm not going to name names, but prettyuch every big company making high speed discs is guilty of this, some more than others. I've had the best luck with Quasars and DD's when it comes to consistency, which is one reason I bagged Quasars over Destroyers.

If I were you I'd keep working with the Teebirds. But, I know how everyone wants D now, and I know how fun throwing far is too, so....

You could try a Starlite Tern. The few Terns I've tried (3 champ and my starlite) seemed to fly pretty consistently, and my Starlite isn't as flippy as I thought it would be. If you know you like Tern's already it might not be a bad choice.

I've recently gotten an Orc and a D2 for some testing, and I'm loving both of them. If you're just bumping up from lower speed discs like I was, I'd definitely recommend the Orc. Thrown flat, it will have a bit of turn and a nice bit of fade, and will beat into a nice hyzer flip disc. D2 is nice as well, but it's touchy. If you put the right amount of hyzer you can get it to flip up and have a nice straight flight with a fair bit of fade, and thrown flat it will give a small S curve and end left. Both are great discs.

And if you're afraid the D2 might be too fast, you might want to try a lighter one, maybe in the 165-67 range.

I was in your boat for a while (thinking of finally discing up), but whenever I tried high speed drivers, they didn't seem to fly much farther than my Avengers. I just put them away, and after another week or two, I would bring them out again. For some reason, one of the days I decided to try the high speed drivers again, instead of going the same distance as my Avengers, they were flying easily 30'-40' farther.

All that to say that you still might not get much use out of high speed drivers right now, but one day, when something clicks, you'll try the high speed drivers, and you'll know it's time to use them. Good luck finding what works for you.

I was in your boat for a while (thinking of finally discing up), but whenever I tried high speed drivers, they didn't seem to fly much farther than my Avengers. I just put them away, and after another week or two, I would bring them out again. For some reason, one of the days I decided to try the high speed drivers again, instead of going the same distance as my Avengers, they were flying easily 30'-40' farther.

All that to say that you still might not get much use out of high speed drivers right now, but one day, when something clicks, you'll try the high speed drivers, and you'll know it's time to use them. Good luck finding what works for you.

That's kind of what happened.

My Axis is going 275. Teebird 300-10. Avenger/Volt 315-20.

And then in the last few days I decided to try the Blizzard Boss and my friend's Tern. The Boss went 350 and the Tern 360 or so. I also got my 170 Saint out about 340. I don't plan to go crazy with distance drivers but that extra 30-40 feet or more with a good skip is too awesome to not explore.

My buddy and I measured the distance this evening with a Surveyor's wheel.

That's kind of what happened.

My Axis is going 275. Teebird 300-10. Avenger/Volt 315-20.

And then in the last few days I decided to try the Blizzard Boss and my friend's Tern. The Boss went 350 and the Tern 360 or so. I also got my 170 Saint out about 340. I don't plan to go crazy with distance drivers but that extra 30-40 feet or more with a good skip is too awesome to not explore.

My buddy and I measured the distance this evening with a Surveyor's wheel.

Actually, at 300' and 350', my Avengers were going the same distance as my distance drivers. It wasn't until shortly after I got my Avengers to 400' that I began to notice any difference in distance. One day, my Nuke was landing in the same place as my Avengers, and the next day, the Nuke was soaring past them.

I can't explain it, but when you are ready for high speeds, you'll just know.

Also, your Avenger should be going about the same distance as your Saint, so I'm not sure what's going on there. You might have an ESP Avenger or something (in my experience, ESP Avengers don't hold a candle to Z or X Avengers).

i have a nice pile of faster 11-13 speed discs collected, but they just dont go any farther than my saints and fury 325'-350'ish
but i can tell i am about to break over that hill and be able to use them soon

Just curious OP. How long have you been playing? I'm finally starting to get some D from my fairway drivers. About a year ago I was getting there but took some time off when I had my kid. I've been playing just shy of 2 years, but not often enough. So I seem to regress then get better.

Just curious OP. How long have you been playing? I'm finally starting to get some D from my fairway drivers. About a year ago I was getting there but took some time off when I had my kid. I've been playing just shy of 2 years, but not often enough. So I seem to regress then get better.

I've been playing about 18 months. In that time it's been very rare I have not played multiple times per week and I practice at least 1/2 hour a day almost every day. (That's what breaks and lunch at work are for).

So far I like the Tern, Crank, and Trespass from my research.

If you like the boss I would second mike c's suggestion a get yourself a quasar I have a 157 quantum quasar that is much more consistent,longer, and much more predictable than the boss.

I have had crappy hours and only half hour lunch. Have been mostly limited to weekends or glow. Have new hours now, so spring I can play after work more.

Have you tried something faster than a Teebird but not a "true" distance driver? I'm an old man (not really, I'm only 30) so I rarely throw anything faster than my OLF or Volt. I bust out the Tern when I hav a nice tailwind and a lot of room to maneuver the disc laterally.

You said you had the Volt, which is great. Because that thing can bomb, baby. Especially the Neutrons. Keep working the Volt-speed stuff, I would say. If you're a younger guy, there will come a day (hopefully very soon!) where you will just feel like you can press it a little farther. Then have that Boss on standby and watch it go boom city

Latest posts