• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What type of DG'er are you?!?

What do you say when your competitor's/friends are putting?

• "You got this"

Votes: 137 88.4%
  • "Miss it, Miss it!!!"

Votes: 18 11.6%

• Total voters

kpc2004

Double Eagle Member
I have played against many different types of people and i was curious to see what the majority of you all are. Are you the type of player who would tell their friend on the 18th hole who is taking their putt to possibly beat you by a stroke "You got this" or are you the one saying "Miss it, Miss it!!!" when my friends and i started we were less competitave with it but we used to joke and encourage a bad shot but not it seems like we are more competitave but encourage each other to do better as well.

I have noticed that most disc golfers are encouraging on the course and would like to see everyone make great shots. I don't think I've ever heard anyone give ill wishes towards anyone, especially in a tourney.

lol just realized my brain fart when creating the title to this thread... "how type" lol whoops, aparently i cant multi-task as well as i thought :)

This is a loaded question. It depends on who you are playing with. If I'm in a tournament or out with people I don't know I would encourage. Typically I would encourage my friends as well. But when you play with a group pretty regularly You hyave to raz them. And when you are competing with a stupid bet I'm definately saying, "you bastard", when my friend hits that 25' putt that forces me to buy all the beer next round. Of course I usually say nice putt right after. You have to respect the skill.

In a regular round of disc golf I would certainly encourage anyone I am playing with. And I would never say miss it miss it . . . unless I really hated the guy I was playing with . . . and I would never say it out loud.

I would hope that even in a tourney I would encourage the other players, personally I feel that is what makes the sport good and makes the competition better. You hope to always play better when playing with better players. Thats the way I am in golf too. Now on 18 tied for the lead I make my birdie he is going for birdie I might want him to miss it.

The core group of players I normally play with all are competitive. We all like to see each other do well,but here is the catch. We have been playing together for so many years we also work each other. Trying to get into one anothers head. Here is an example. One friend challenged me for my bag tag. I had tag #2(and is one few coveted gold colored tags in our bag tag deal) and it was killing him. On one of the first few holes, he released a pretty sweet looking drive, after it went about 250 ft I yelled "HIT SOMETHING", and it did. The whole group was laughing including him. A few holes later, he ended up in some serious shule, and had a blind approach shot. He went long into some thick trees, and said "that didn't sound good". I said quite loudly, "sounds like gold to me". I would only do this with this group of guys, like I said after years of playing together, we root for each other, but rib each other as well. We all have a blast, others who have played on our card just shake their head laughing and tell us we are brutal, but they realize it's truly all in good fun.

I didn't pay attention to the fact it was, just putting. My group never confines it to just putting lol,

totally love to see great shots even if i am not the one making them. i hope to my self in a game of score that a putt is missed but never let on about it and always encourage my opponent to do well. not because its the right thing to do but because i would expect the same.

karma doesnt care if youre talking to yourself or outloud. itll come back and get you soon enough, its all state of mind.

I say "you got this"

I think "miss it, hope it rolls down the hill AND you miss the comebacker!"

OK, Just kidding. I want to win but on my good shots, not somebody else's bad. I also hate to see somebody in a mental putting funk, when they can't even hit gimmees.

Ive got to be honest I really like winning, but I generally dont root for someone to do bad. One of my buddiesalways gives me a hard time, and I return the favor but its all in jest. I just dont really like playing with people who are just waiting for you to mess up.

In a regular round I am always telling people you got this. I take casual play serious and still have a good time. I want others to play well because it pushes me to play better. I think it also helps me get into the mental state that is needed when I do decide to compete.

I say "you got this"

OK, Just kidding. I want to win but on my good shots, not somebody else's bad. I also hate to see somebody in a mental putting funk, when they can't even hit gimmees.

There's no such thing as a gimme in DG. I was playing with someone who saw video of Shultz missing a 3 footer. He lost his footing (or something to that effect) while dropping his disc into the basket and missed.

I say "you got this"

I'd bet that's a pretty common situation when playing in a sanctioned event, i.e. for cash or payout.

There's no such thing as a gimme in DG. I was playing with someone who saw video of Shultz missing a 3 footer. He lost his footing (or something to that effect) while dropping his disc into the basket and missed.

Ive missed from 2 ft away ... I was mad I had missed a short putt so I threw it really hard at the basket from 2 ft away ... hits the chains and fell out ... I was really not happy after that ;)

Good friends and money on the line, its miss it.

Good friends and no money, make it.

Don't know you but you seem like a nice guy, make it.

Don't know you but you seem to be a jerk, I'm not saying anything BUT I am smiling on the inside when you miss it.

When playing with people I don't really know I am encouraging but with people I know well trash talk tends to happen and lots of all in fun derisive comments. I don't ever make noise intentionally when someone is throwing but I will make comments before their shot (with people I know)

It's my feeling if I win a round, regardless of who it is, I want them to have played the best round they could that day. So I will encourage them to play their best...

If it's me and my friends only, I will also talk trash, because I will undoubtedly get it from them. If it's a tournament, no matter who is putting, I will be encouraging, unless they are a big time jerk, then I won't say anything at all.

I am a talker....I always have been. And I talk a lot of "smack" during most sports. While playing disc golf, I try to be quiet when someone is throwing...sometimes I get carried away. But that's who I am. My buddies and I play for fun. We like to win but we don't get mad when someone else in the group wins. When we play, we pretty much use it as social time and spend most of the round laughing.

On the flip side, on one of our past trips, we tried an idea of playing for tags at each course and whoever held the #1 for the longest would be the trip "winner". It brought out the worst in me...and i never want to go down that road again. It's all in good fun.

Sorry I got off the subject. If I am in competitive mode, I won't say a word to anyone...friend or random guy. When I am having fun with my buddies, I'll say just about anything for a laugh...and I don't care at whose expense.