• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What type of Leagues do you like or would you like to see?

Has anyone tried a Match Play league?

The first week is the only week everyone pays. It starts a two round bracket. The second round is played by the winners next week. After two rounds, you'll be able to pay top 25% with the entry fees. Those guys had to win 2 match play contests.

The second week, last weeks winners play to win the $$ and everyone else starts over and buys in again.

Always two match play brackets. Always random draw.

Thoughts?

Does everyone have their own QR? What website do you use for this?

This is still a fledgling idea another player and I came up with after hearing folks constantly whine about the lack of low tags available. Each player has a QR code assigned specifically to them and this tag is never traded. You simply scan it and it'll show you your current ranking based on the most current league play results. The cool thing is I designed the database so that you can be a member of more than one league or even league type... i.e. Bowling, Fishing, Ball Golf, Darts, Billiards, etc. could all use this type of ranking system.

I'll scan my tag when I can and show you a screen shot...

Sample of Tags...

Here's a sample of the tags and the URL you'd be sent to if you scan the QR code. You can actually scan this one if you like... I did.
picture.php

picture.php

http://gotoleague.com/player_tag.asp?id=4

Last edited:
The difficulty with match play is what happens if there is an odd # of people . . . you cant play cali against yourself!

I also wanted to run a match play tournament but it is tough to do in just one weekend . . . if you get 64 people in a divisional bracket you have 7 rounds to play . . . thats a lot for a weekend! I would do it but many wouldn't.

I just dont think enough people look at disc golf league as a necessity. It seems to me in each division in our normal leagues there are 3 to 4 regulars the rest of the attendance is people who come between 1-5 times out of 10 . . . that makes for an impossible to finish bracket.

I am working hard to try and figure out a way to make it work though because I LOVE the format.

Match Play Solution Mabye??

Back when I was an avid ball golfer and member of a country club, our Match Play tournament was spread out over several weeks like this:

Seed your tournament after your membership tourney or club championship. Then after the matches are drawn up, simply tell the folks to play the match on there own time... but they must turn in results by a certain day of the week. Each "round" of the tournament is a week long. 32 players is only 5 weeks!

You get the results you want without compacting it all into one weekend.

The difficulty with match play is what happens if there is an odd # of people . . . you cant play cali against yourself!

I also wanted to run a match play tournament but it is tough to do in just one weekend . . . if you get 64 people in a divisional bracket you have 7 rounds to play . . . thats a lot for a weekend! I would do it but many wouldn't.

I am working hard to try and figure out a way to make it work though because I LOVE the format.

We ran a match-play, single-elimination bracket tournament for years. The solutions to some of these problems are (1) have a "floater", a TD who can play, or not play, depending on how many show up and (2) play 9-hole matches, which are really intense. Another issue to deal with is what to do with the players who are eliminated in the first round (we solved this, too).

A bracket system for league play has the issue of committing players to show up every day of league---and what to do if they don't?

One alternative for a match-play league, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is to seed people every week based on bag tags or won-lost records. My suggestion for the odd player---which I haven't tried yet---is to have a 3-player "super match" at the top, where 3 players are grouped together. Winning a hole will be really tough, and in the match you have 1 winner, 2 losers.

We are trying to start up a weekly leauge and we are trying to think of what kind I'm looking for others input and ideas of which way to go.

We are thinking of a random draw doubles or straight singles. 10$ per week.
5$ to the pot. 1$ to ace pool. 1$ to course fund. 3$ to cover food and beer. After each week beer, soda and either burgers or brats will be served to leauge players.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would you play?

In Houston the NSCG (North Side Chain Gang) we have an alt mini... this puts us at every second sunday within the month we do a doubles mini. so basically singles for 3 weeks then a dubs mini. its fun and brings the guys together. also we incorporate tags... this action allows tge players to be more competetive amongst each other.

I don't think a match play league would have to play until there is 1 winner.

20 people show up week 1. $100 in pot. The 10 winners then play during week 2 and of those 10, 5 will each win $20 that night.

For the 10 people that lost and anyone new during week 2, they have to buy into a new bracket for $5.

There are always 2 brackets going on. One is a first round, the other is the second round for last weeks $$.

Matchups are always random by cards. Odd number creates a group of 3 for skins.

Biggest problem I can't quite solve is keeping the low players. Random matchups could work in their favor if two good players knock the other out. Perhaps a ticket that gives them a 1 throw advantage on a hole of their choice. Give them a good chance at a carryover.

In Eastern Ontario they run a season long match play league. They divide up into divisions of eight players with a season long round robin (each player schedules and plays 6 matches over the season) concluding with a seaded tournament at the end of the season. I've never participated, but they have been running it for 6 years now.

An idea that I've been meaning to try at our league would be to do an 8 player single elimination knockout, where you play three six-hole match play matches. Kind of the problem is that it is somewhat logistically complicated (although I think people would get the concept if we ever walked through it).

Basically, I would break the course up into two loops. A six hole loop and a twelve hole loop with a convenient meeting point where the two converge (my home course actually works good for this). With eight people, we would have two cards or four each with two heads up matches on each of them.

I would seed people by bag tag numbers. Seeds 1 & 8 (who play each other first), and seeds 4 & 5 (same) go to one card. Seeds 2 & 7 (who play each other first), and seeds 3 & 6 (same) go to the other.

You could play either loop first. For sake of example, lets say we choose to do the loop of six. All four matches play just those six holes, skipping the rest of the course (for now). At the end of that loop of six, you determine who your four winners are. In the event that a match ends in a draw, while it will be scored as a draw, the person with the better bag tag gets to advance. In the event of an upset where the higher numbered tag holder wins, bag tags are to be exchanged immediately.

After that session, all four winners move to one card, and the four losers move to the other. Then both groups play two more matches on the remaining loop of twelve holes. After six of those twelve holes are completed, both groups stop, determine match winners and losers, and switch partners. Winners play winners. Losers play losers.

One match play system is to send a foursome, two pairs out to play a 9-hole match. At the end of the match; the two winners pair and the two losers pair, and continue on for the next 9 holes. Everyone plays 18 holes; everyone plays two 9-hole matches; and you don't have to stop, get scores, and restart in between them.

But you do have to have a system for tie-breakers.

In Eastern Ontario they run a season long match play league. They divide up into divisions of eight players with a season long round robin (each player schedules and plays 6 matches over the season) concluding with a seaded tournament at the end of the season. I've never participated, but they have been running it for 6 years now.

Thanks. That's awesome. They've obviously put a lot of thought into it. And experience.

Latest posts