• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was Your First Ace?

close but no cigar

I still have not had an ace but, on the 26th I hit the chains :eek: and it went through.:( The basket was behind a tree and I threw my disc. Talk about a cool sound! I guess I'll have to keep trying!:)

Took me about 1 year but it was well worth it. It was on hole #17 at Seven Oaks Park in Nashville, Tennessee. It's about a 260ft slight uphill, narrow and snakey. I never saw it go in but that ring of the chains says it all!! I ran up the hill and there it sat!! It was a Champion Viking.

Last edited:
Still no aces, but I have had quite a few runs here recently. Last week I went out to the university of south alabama with a friend, on the first hole I threw a huge hyzer that went a bit to far and hit the chains on the backside of the basket and fell to the ground. I went home and told my brother about it, who was fairly skeptical and said he would have had to have seen it. The next day my brother, father and I go to the same course, and on the first throw of the day I did it again, this time I hit the front of the basket, needless to say my brother believed me. Later in the course I wrung the chains again on hole 18, but it still didn't sink...I seem to have trouble getting them to stick.

hit my one and only at my home course (Manchester Park, St L, MO) almost a year ago. #3 200 ft long, 50 ft downhill, dogleg right. Threw my trusty yellow aviar (171). I knew it was close, but there is big drop off three sides, plus i was playing alone and had my heads phones jacked up. i didn't know it was in till three kids walking up told me. Played the hole over christmas break, not even close.

I made one ace on the 18 hole course that I set up around my house during a "practice round." I have six basket placements with 18 tee placements. It was my hole #2 that I nailed the ace last Summer. It's 180' down hill with the basket tucked in behind a large shrub. It requires an easy, straight throw and the lay of the land forces the fade at the end of the disc's flight towards the pin. I couldn't believe it when it stayed in the basket after hitting the chains. It's a home-made basket that I bought on line and it doesn't catch that great. It allows for a lot of blow throughs so It was awesome when it stuck.

I hope to post some pics of my course soon.

Can't recall the exact date, but if I remember correctly mine was in the Summer of 2006 (about 2 years after I began playing). It was on Hole 7 at Coyote DGC @ Lorch Park...a very short (150'ish) but tight tunnel shot with the basket on the left side of the fairway, over a small hill, guarded by 2 cedars. I remember the day pretty vividly...I was there with a few friends who only played casually once a month or so (at this point I was already addicted) and we had just stopped for a brief smoke break :D

I walked up to the tee, eyes barely open ;), and threw my new 175g 11x "Soft" KC Pro Roc straight at the pin, hoping I would hit one of the guardian trees and drop straight down for an easy 2. I guess my Roc had something much better planned, because it threaded a small gap between the trees and hit dead center in the chains. I didn't know how to react, so I just thrusted both fists as high in the air as I could get them and turned around to my friends to make sure they all saw it. Everyone signed my disc (my favorite sig was something to the effect of "awesome super badass disc golf god!") and we went on our way...and my giant grin didn't fade for a very long time.

First ace was at Research Park in College Station, TX. I was visiting my best friend who was at college there... this was back in probably 1999. We started playing in June 97. We didn't know much about disc golf -- just got out and threw plastic -- but I put a red DX Gazelle on a blind flick around some bushes and crashed the chains... I think it was hole #14 or #15, but that course has been redesigned/rearranged so many times that I have no idea what the number was for sure -- it's not a hole that is there anymore.

At the time, I didn't know anything about disc golf traditions, and didn't know most players signed or kept discs... a couple of months later, a different friend was playing and throwing that disc and put it irretrievably into a bog up in Garland, TX... so there went my first ace disc. I don't even think it had my name on it. But Red DX Gazelles still make me nostalgic.

January 1st, 2009. I just started playing last week after receiving a disc set for Christmas and started off the new year with my first Ace. Lucky as hell I know, but I'll take it. It was only 110' at a simple course...but it was sweet.

#9 in Cozad NE this weekend, I rang the chains so hard it was like kicking a box of dimes. The disc tangles in the chains and spits right out on the ground.
:(
My time's comming, I make runs weekly, I'm getting to the point where I have.... control.

#9 in Cozad NE this weekend, I rang the chains so hard it was like kicking a box of dimes. The disc tangles in the chains and spits right out on the ground.
:(
My time's comming, I make runs weekly, I'm getting to the point where I have.... control.

Damn bro, tha sucks!

My first ace was at Lake Lewisville Park in Lewisville, TX on hole number 1...about 230ft. It is a slight downhill hole where the tree is behind a couple of trees. I lazered it right at the chains and it went straight in through a gap between the trees. It was AWESOME! There are few things in life that feel much better than that. My dad and my brother were both there to witness it. Unfortunately I did not retire the disc in time and it is now lost. I'm up to 3 total aces now, I've had two VERY close ones here in the last couple of weeks that were in the chains and then out again...hopefully I'll add another soon.
The first ace came after about 3 and a half years of playing, so those of you that haven't gotten yours yet, don't worry, it's coming!

Last edited:
My first ace was at Lake Lewisville Park in Lewisville, TX on hole number 1...about 230ft. It is a slight downhill hole where the tree is behind a couple of trees. I lazered it right at the chains and it went straight in through a gap between the trees. It was AWESOME! There are few things in life that feel much better than that. My dad and my brother were both there to witness it. Unfortunately I did not retire the disc in time and it is now lost. I'm up to 3 total aces now, I've had two VERY close ones here in the last couple of weeks that were in the chains and then out again...hopefully I'll add another soon.
The first ace came after about 3 and a half years of playing, so those of you that haven't gotten yours yet, don't worry, it's coming!

^^^One of my favorite holes in the DFW :D I saw your RSVP for the DD Winter Warm-up....I'll probably see you there!

Damn bro, tha sucks!

You know I didn't get too bent about it because it actually looked and sounded pretty badass and it was exactly what I was aiming for by about 4 inches so I still thought it was pretty cool. Would have been nice if it stuck but its hard to guage those hommade baskets so it still got a fist pump out of me.

^^^One of my favorite holes in the DFW :D I saw your RSVP for the DD Winter Warm-up....I'll probably see you there!

I'll watch for your name on the list of players. Will you be playing in the Advanced or Open division? (I'll be in the lowly Intermediate division :) )

Two days ago I bounced up and hit the basket on a 320' hole, yesterday I landed in the basket and was shot out on my drive. These aces are just so elusive but Im getting closer and closer everyday to my first. Its almost more frustrating to be this close