• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was your latest breakthrough?

Trying out the simpler run up/stand still approach some of you have mentioned. Interesting results so far.

After a Nate Sexton clinic and all this advice, I am all out of sorts. Might just need to go back to square 1.

$.02 and with a grain of salt going back to stand still for a bit is huge. I mentally have a hard time pulling it off, I need to disc down and take a handful of US stuff to get me to slow everything down but it helps. Would also help more to get out to a field and throw more rather than think I am working on form at the course, but I also know I'm limiting myself so I limit my expectations of progress... though still disappointing when you think you are reaching a big jump only to see the results as a regression. Keep on it because it does build up but just ever so slowly.

My breakthrough lately is mental.

Playing to my strengths and not beyond them.
If I can't reach the pin, lay up to where I'll have a good next shot to get there.
Don't try and throw as far as I can, throw as far as I can control.
If the fairway is tight throw right down the middle with a mid.
Hit the gap. If that means a 290 foot flip up forehand instead of a 375 foot backhand, OK!
Miss well. Miss to the good side of wherever the danger is.
I learned to spin putt in the wind in Wichita.

Basically play really smart golf and putt in the wind.

It's turned out really well. I won my division in 2 of 4 tourneys in June on the road and back home in July I came in tied for 2nd, tied for 1st, and 2nd in tag league rounds on different courses with different people near the top, except me.

Slowing down considerably on the tee...distance achieved by amount of reach back, still moving slow throughout, until disc is across chest...then BOOM. My major breakthrough is consistently keeping a s l o w pace on the tee. results have been outstanding. #CHING

So I had a breakthrough the last two weeks. I started pulling the disc all the way into my palm for putts. So much more control, plus more spin. My percentage on 25-35' putts is way up.

https://youtu.be/tW2OY2Ez4VY

This made something click for me the other day with vacancy drives. In my effort to keep everything in line toward the basket, my feet were along a line. The heel of the plant foot needs to be in front of the toe of the rear foot so you can keep the disc on a straight line. Working on fixing that right now but initial throws feel better, easier, less forced. Thanks Danny!

Aim - pull and turn most of my discs when I try to power up: concentrating on following through to the target. Small stuff.

Recently I was out playing a round. Every throw almost was clean (really clean) I actually felt the difference. Getting and keeping the disc on a line and angle integrity along with follow through. Not saying I execute perfectly always I'm not sure it has "clicked" yet but it's good to know form drills and all of my hard work are payong off

I had a breakthrough with putting consistency... I'm pretty solid in the yard practicing but Sunday dubs I have been less accurate.... I figured out that when I practice putt I usually have three or four discs in my off hand tucked behind my back... I guess it turns my shoulder so it's a straighter path all the way to the basket or gives me a stopping point before release, I don't know exactly but it is helping.

Recently it is in putting I am not putting so low from about waist height or going too high like bottom of rib cage but more near belly button. This helps with keeping my discs from being to high or too low in the putt. Also I have found a midrange that I keep confirming is the type of disc I should have been using before. I had problems for a long time using the true midrange disc I had before and I never should have used this disc or that disc.

Keeping loose and smooth has been helping me get a cleaner hit, getting extra smooth distance. I did this by practicing with just my Rocs for a few rounds. That helped me make sure I was throwing smooth (Rocs won't forgive a throw that's off-axis or pulled over). I've been parking holes that I used to use a Teebird or Firebird on! Keeping loose and bracing well is working for me.
Also, keeping my wrist down (flush with forearm, like on a drive) when I putt has been giving me wayyy better speed control with the putter. Starting to feel more comfortable with 40+ footers.

I finally threw 400' on flat ground last night. Just over a year into dg. Damn that felt good.

Nicely done on 400'!

I wouldn't say I hit a performance breakthrough as much as an understanding breakthrough. I'm finally starting to feel my body coiling up when the disc is in the pocket, and how to translate that to accelerating the disc. Still needs work, but I don't feel like I am muscling it now as much as I am uncoiling and accelerating from that.

Been working on developing a forehand this year: I can't believe the progress.

Went from 50 feet and a sore arm to hitting 200 with perhaps better accuracy. I actually use it in rounds now.

It's like having a whole new game to play with.

I am also intrigued by how far I can go with it as well.

If you young guys don't have one yet(or a backhand), do it now. It's like unlocking half of your brain.

Been working on developing a forehand this year: I can't believe the progress.

Went from 50 feet and a sore arm to hitting 200 with perhaps better accuracy. I actually use it in rounds now.

It's like having a whole new game to play with.

I am also intrigued by how far I can go with it as well.

If you young guys don't have one yet(or a backhand), do it now. It's like unlocking half of your brain.

Anyone who doesn't have a forehand at all, with an average game, can shave probably 1-3 strokes every round just by having that <200' FH no brainer approach.

If you haven't watched this video/thread, it's a good way to know how to avoid the elbow strain and throw with confidence. It's not too much to ask to pop out FH's to 300'+ with neutral stuff for anyone without injuries once they learn the leverage and how to smooth it out there. Way more about technique than strength, just like BH.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128673

For me my latest breakthrough is still a work in progress, but figuring out how to actually be on the rear hip rather than squish into it when turning back. Got a standstill Leo down a tunnel 350' and the hips/torso felt compact in the throw.

Latest breakthrough: balance & dingle arm.

I was tensing up my shoulder during the power pocket and to the hit that was causing power loss and nose up. SW22 reciprocating dingle arm video helped me sort it out. Now I can feel it doing so much more work by staying relaxed and wide.

Also, just in general, staying balanced. Even reaching my upper body back a little bit over my "center" (aka between my knees) caused serious timing issues. I started to feel the weight shift after getting balanced.

Also realized I reach back to early. Getting better and better, but lots of work to do still.

I can hit 425' on command with ease now, before I had to put everything I had into it.

Still working on staying balanced (old habits die hard) but it gets better every day.

I've started playing disc golf this summer and I mostly use putters and mids with ok results.

Once in a while I go to a field nearby to practice straight short upshots between 100-200 feet. I tried a lot of things to get a clean no wobbling straight shot but I had no consistency in doing so. I could not find why sometimes it was good but most of the times there was some degree of wobbling at the release. I tried different grips, looser or tighter grip, focusing not rolling my wrist or forearm, nothing seems to work to find that consistent nice release.

Today I found out why, I was just bending forward my upper body a little but it was already too much for the type of shot I was trying to do. I just start standing straighter with my weight almost feeling a bit behind my waist and then all my release was smooth and easy.

I still can't use a fan grip for these upshots but a birdie grip is working fine now.

I learned how to forehand. I have always been a BH thrower and the last few years been working on a forehand (with the help of RUSSELL) and it has been working for me better and better. Only for approach shots or very short shots off the tee right now but they're starting to work.

I was just in my backyard with my 86 Softie putters and did all FH shots from around 60-70 ft. They started out wobbly but then I started adjusting my grip and they were coming out with no wobble and on the line I was trying for.
Before this the only discs I would throw FH were Thunderbirds.

Can't wait to get to a course and try this out. Winton Woods here I come!! :D