• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What won't Gateway Stamp

Paging Zam...I know he has some thoughts on this topic.
Bet they would draw the line at a Innova stamp. They can get away with the other stamps being a under the radar disc golf company. Another company Innova being the most obvious in disc golf being stamped would not fly. That is my answer. I on the other hand love Gateway and their crazy stamps.

....am I the only person in the dg community who barely cares one bit about what is stamped on a disc, or what "run" it is or any of that? I don't even have an iota of what makes Gateway's stamping controversial (ie what they've 'stolen').

I like shiny, bright colored discs and the only thing I would like a custom stamp of would probably be this:
Me%20Gusta.png

Just throwing this out there. The Grateful Dead, one of the most successful and enduring musical acts of my lifetime haven't seemed to care much for IP issue. You can get just about anything with a Grateful Dead logo. And last time I checked they still seem to be doing pretty good.

I like Wizards. And I particularly like throwing my Dancing Bears and SYF discs.

Seems like Gateway does a pretty good job of pandering to their demographic. Gateway does what sells, in business that's a recipe for success.

Just throwing this out there. The Grateful Dead, one of the most successful and enduring musical acts of my lifetime haven't seemed to care much for IP issue. You can get just about anything with a Grateful Dead logo. And last time I checked they still seem to be doing pretty good.
LOL.

The Grateful Dead completely mismanaged their IP for DECADES. Millions and millions of dollars left on the table.

They NEVER were a financially stable organization and that pressure ended up killing the band.

They are the perfect example of how NOT to do it.

And this is coming from a fan.

Bet they would draw the line at a Innova stamp. They can get away with the other stamps being a under the radar disc golf company. Another company Innova being the most obvious in disc golf being stamped would not fly. That is my answer. I on the other hand love Gateway and their crazy stamps.

Plagiarism in a thread about IP. Awesome! :D

Plagiarism in a thread about IP. Awesome! :D

Beat me to it! Well spotted. While we're on that topic: I want your collectible banshees!

In general I don't care that much about IP; I think that the open source movement is a little bit more this millennium. However, I respect the fact that there are artists and other content creators out there who want to defend their IP, and that's their right. I wouldn't want to rip-off any individual who wants their own IP to remain their own...at least as far as stamp design is concerned.

On the other hand, when it comes to trademarks owned by huge multi-national corporations, I'm more inclined to say F 'em. The Jumpman logo is a perfect example. (Of course, corporately owned IP is more likely to get you sued, so it's a doubled-edged sword.)

In summary I guess I don't have a problem with any of Gateway's stamps, although I also don't claim familiarity with all of them. If you don't like a stamp for IP- or taste-related reasons, don't buy a disc with that stamp! Pretty easy stuff.

What won't they stamp? No idea. Racial epithets? Homophobic slurs?

On the other hand, when it comes to trademarks owned by huge multi-national corporations, I'm more inclined to say F 'em.
Ahhh the old 'buffet style' of law enforcement.

Thats the same way I like my christianity.

In general I don't care that much about IP; I think that the open source movement is a little bit more this millennium. However, I respect the fact that there are artists and other content creators out there who want to defend their IP, and that's their right. I wouldn't want to rip-off any individual who wants their own IP to remain their own...at least as far as stamp design is concerned.

I don't really think open source (collaborative software, publicly funded research, etc), in which the expectations are laid out ahead of time and/or the creators are already well paid, applies to an individuals unique work of art by usually financially underpaid visual artists.
And I don't think anyone purchasing a disc wants to rip off the original artist, either, but the fact is that if permission has not been given, then we are.

LOL.

The Grateful Dead completely mismanaged their IP for DECADES. Millions and millions of dollars left on the table.

They NEVER were a financially stable organization and that pressure ended up killing the band.

They are the perfect example of how NOT to do it.

And this is coming from a fan.

Kill the band? If you say so. But it seems to me all of the surviving members of the band are still playing. And I'll bet a penny or two that they still play Grateful Dead music. Surely they made some less than perfect business deals. And there's scores if not 1000s of folks using their "trademarks" for all kinds of business.

Kill the band? If you say so. But it seems to me all of the surviving members of the band are still playing. And I'll bet a penny or two that they still play Grateful Dead music. Surely they made some less than perfect business deals. And there's scores if not 1000s of folks using their "trademarks" for all kinds of business.
Surviving members aren't The Grateful Dead. That ended in 1995. And yes, the pressure to tour and make enough money to keep their bloated organization going is exactly what killed the band. Just because Bobby decides to butcher some Jerry tunes at a slow tempo on Further tour doesn't mean The GD are still around.

Either way. They left tens - if not hundreds - of millions of dollars on the table by not properly enforcing their IP over the years. A classic example of how NOT to do it as a business.

But hey brah. Live and let live right? That's how Jer Bear would have wanted it.

^Agreed. They had too many friends and family on the payroll, and that huge infrastructure is what put pressure on the band to tour 3x a year despite the toll it took on Jerr-Bear. By the '90s, they did crack down on some vendors for copyright issues, but still sold a crapload of their official product to the masses. They made more $ from concert receipts than from merch.

Back to stamps and copyrighted property...

It takes a certain amount of popularity and profit on the part of the copyright/patent violator to get the attention of the owner/originator to inspire any kind of legal action. As popular as Wizards are in the DG community, Gateway has not caught the attention of any lawyers, probably because their stamp runs are as inconsistent as their plastic. (BURN!)

I have a friend who dyes discs, and he routinely takes images from the internet and puts them on discs, and does 'brainwave' style and spin-style dyes. I find his complete un-originality more offensive than what Gateway does, but maybe that's because I know him personally and he acts as though he's 'growing the sport' by making money off of dyeing discs with everyone else's techniques and images...

Latest posts