• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do to get a disc back?

I get cut up by the palmettos numerous times every year to retrieve lost discs in the woods. The woods here in north FL are full of palmettos huge clumps 10ft. up to 100ft. & they're about 3 1/2 to 4ft. tall. Then the sticker vines grow in between them it's a bloody mess. It's alot easier in the winter with long sleeves and pants.
I have and we will swim in the ponds & lakes with snakes, snapping turtles,gators, and all the plants and weeds you can imagine to try to get the splash ins. Sometimes even all that effort swimming out well overhead you still don't come up with your plastic. They drift underwater and can be very hard to find.

Was playing UNC #3 (I think) in the rain in November. Threw my favorite disc in a manner that I expected to park for a long birdie. I got stuck in a branch about 40' up right at the back end of the pond. It took about 30 to knock it down, and when it came down it eas a splash down. Branch retrieval was unsuccessful, so I got out of the jeans into my skivvies, and waded until I found it. Fortunately the guys I was playing with we're either fed up with the amount of time took or in shock, so no cell phones came out to document that "proud" moment. Since then, I have acquired another 20 discs or so, but that is still one of my go to discs. Never leave a soldier behind.

Was playing UNC #3 (I think) in the rain in November. Threw my favorite disc in a manner that I expected to park for a long birdie. I got stuck in a branch about 40' up right at the back end of the pond. It took about 30 to knock it down, and when it came down it eas a splash down. Branch retrieval was unsuccessful, so I got out of the jeans into my skivvies, and waded until I found it. Fortunately the guys I was playing with we're either fed up with the amount of time took or in shock, so no cell phones came out to document that "proud" moment. Since then, I have acquired another 20 discs or so, but that is still one of my go to discs. Never leave a soldier behind.

Yeah at Paschall Park there's a stagnant steam that I've spent many an hour wading through to retrieve discs. The worst was recently, though. The city decided to run the main sewer lines throughout the whole course (makes for a pleasing aroma :sick: ). Apparently they broke down 'cause they dug up the whole back nine to "fix" it. My buddy and I were playing behind a couple of newbies who chucked a banshee down into the sewer pit the city had dug up. Feeling generous I hoped down in and, clinging to a slab of metal, retrieve the disc. It needed a SERIOUS cleaning.

Yeah at Paschall Park there's a stagnant steam that I've spent many an hour wading through to retrieve discs. The worst was recently, though. The city decided to run the main sewer lines throughout the whole course (makes for a pleasing aroma :sick: ). Apparently they broke down 'cause they dug up the whole back nine to "fix" it. My buddy and I were playing behind a couple of newbies who chucked a banshee down into the sewer pit the city had dug up. Feeling generous I hoped down in and, clinging to a slab of metal, retrieve the disc. It needed a SERIOUS cleaning.

Why didn't you let them learn how to retrieve their own disc?

Why didn't you let them learn how to retrieve their own disc?

Haha, it was a guy and his girlfriend. They stood there staring at it for a good ten minutes and wouldn't clear the hole. So I fetched it for them, we played through, and that was that. I typically try to help out people when they loose discs.

Lost a Monarch into the woods a week or so ago. It hit a tree just to the right of the tee before it opens up into a field and my forehand toss sent it ricocheting farther into the brush. I spent 30-45 minutes search for that disc in tick and poison ivy/oak infested brush and never found it. Came back the next day in jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Was probably 90 degrees and I spent another hour searching. Never did find that thing. :( It was the first day I was throwing it too.

Telling another guy on the course this week about my lost Monarch he just up and gave me his cause he didn't like it! :) So I guess it's a win! Also the first day I was searching for it I did find a Lat64 River. Had a number on the back. I called the guy and he said keep it! :) So I guess all in all I came out ahead!

Went to Lowe's and purchased a ladder to get a disc out of a tree. Had a buddy wait next to the tree for a good 30 minutes just waiting for me. We finally got the disc, and promptly returned the ladder to Lowe's.

Somerset DGC in WI...

Hole #6

This is a hole that plays in a small ravine between two ridges. The area is covered in small foliage and hardwood trees. This area is very deep in the woods and being in WI this means lots of mosquitoes. Now the short basket location is in the lowest elevation in the immediate area. For reasons beyond me there is about a 4'x6' pit dug out about 20 feet away from the basket and it has to be around 3' to 4' deep. Now whenever it rains the whole area floods (comes within a foot of the basket even...) This pit never used to be there until it suddenly showed up one day. Now the rain water doesn't just go into the ground, oh no it's much worse. The pit becomes a cesspool basically, holding water many days after a good rain. This is the worst idea ever because the mosquitoes are like a freakin' blanket down there now that they have a nasty breeding pool. Bug spray all you want they will still bite you, it's that bad.

Since I play this course all the time, I was bound to throw a disc in eventually. It just happened to be the day after I bought a new fluorescent orange champ panther. You cannot see the cesspool from the tee so you either have to listen for a splash or run quickly to see where it lands. Mine splashed quite loudly so I knew it was in the deepest part. When I got there you couldn't see anything, even with a very brightly colored disc. Just brown water...so in I went. Luckily I am very tall and was wearing shorts so I just had to take off my shoes and socks. I was at least smart enough to grab some random 2"x4"s that were floating in the water to use as water shoes if you will. One foot on each board so I didn't sink into the muck. I then combed the bottom with my hands to find the disc. Meanwhile I was being swarmed by flies and mosquitoes. It was disgusting and I would definitely have stayed out if I had an open wound but I got my disc back and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
I once tied a rope to a tree and lowered myself down the side of an arroyo. (Don't be impressed. It was only about fifteen feet and if I fell it would have been into soft sand.)

I haven't had anything too crazy...

I went into a pond that was covered in algae, knee deep mud and another 6" of water. It was right before winter and the water was FREEZING! I couldn't feel my legs for hours!

Nothing as crazy as some of the stuff on this thread. I've gone into tall grass and brush (hole 17 at Heritage Park left of the fairway) where I know chiggers are to be eaten alive by those little SOB's. I've gone into there on three separate occasions now and will do anything I can to avoid it again.

You guys are crazy. I won't typically go into clean water for plastic lol. All the discs I really really like go where I want them to, which is probably why I really really like them.

Z2wBI.jpg

Went for a swim in the Brazos river today.

By Blizzard Destroyer was just floating out there. I had to go save it.

Went for a swim in the Brazos river today.

By Blizzard Destroyer was just floating out there. I had to go save it.

That's a win! That's a swimming-in-the-river-so-no-disc's-left-behind win!

One nice thing about retrieving discs from water in Texas--it doesn't feel too bad in the summer.

I spent two weeks in the hospital to get a disc back............just sayin.......

Cooled off

That's a win! That's a swimming-in-the-river-so-no-disc's-left-behind win!

One nice thing about retrieving discs from water in Texas--it doesn't feel too bad in the summer.

Yeah the water felt pretty good.

Latest posts