• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you score at Winthrop

What would you score at Winthrop

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll let you know on Monday. I have a tee time for Sunday at 10.
But, then again... spotting all week has got me so sore that I don't know how well I'll be able to play.
DSCJNKY

Most people are trying to give an honest answer, some are just having fun it's all good!!!!

I played holes 5-7 Friday evening just as the sun was setting and went 6-3-3. Which was one over for those three holes. It was depends on the wind. I was out there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The wind was rough on Thursday.

Watched ever shot Dave Feldberg took on Friday and Saturday. He was -9 on the front Saturday...mostly because he was unbelievable putting. He missed nothing outside of 50' during that nine hole run. He ended up taking two triples on the back side when he went out twice on #10 and twice out on #13 (888). He looked sick to the stomach on the second OB throw on #13.

I'll let you know on Monday. I have a tee time for Sunday at 10.
But, then again... spotting all week has got me so sore that I don't know how well I'll be able to play.
DSCJNKY

Don't worry...if you wear the right pad you won't have any leak-through and should be able to get through the round. :p

Question is; would mashnut like this style? Is it the tall grass he hates; or the narrow fairways? :)

I know you're giving me crap, but the honest answer is that I think I would like it. I like risk/reward decisions when it's your score that your risking, taking ob penalties for a poor drive seems like a fun, challenging way to make you pay fr inaccurate shots, much better in my opinion than just making you spend ridiculous amounts of time searching for a disc that barely missed the fairway.

Mid 70's, I played it a few years ago and shot an 81 when I wasn't as good, last year I played holes 3-16 after watching the lead card and shot really well playing my game (which is conservative) and this year we played 6-16 and I shot really well on every hole except on 888 where I threw OB twice and then the guys I was playing with just started throwing me discs on the teepad, I think I went OB 7-8 times trying to throw crazy shots. Other than that hole I shot a 3 over on those holes.

So are you saying that if you play smart even an average player can do very well there?

It depends on what your definition of average is. You gotta be able to throw 380'+ if you want to get some birdies on the longer holes and you have to be really consistent on your second/third/approach shots. The fairways and some greens were pretty small and/or narrow and you really have to be able to throw some super accurate shots from 300' and in.

Shot 74 with Nikko practicing for US Doubles... He talked a lot about playing conservative and I tried to copy his shots the best I could. He didnt try much over 300'. then at the USDGC he did some less conservative stuff, but thats why he shot so well...cause he can pull that stuff off. It was easy to follow 200' layup buzzz shots or 280' spike hyzers. I think I could shoot 70-85 90% of the time.

I played the course with the ropes up on Sunday, and shot a 96. I feel like I could've dropped about 10 strokes if I had another shot, as the fairways are quite tight sometimes, and a good throw ends up inching over the o.b. I loved every second, and was happy to stay under 100 for my first Winthrop trip!

I played sunday and shot a 93.

Only had one stroke and distance penalty on the front which was on the hole 5. Decided to pull out a brand new disc that I had gotten in the pro shop and it was a lot more understable than I anticipated and went over the road!

On the back nine I fell apart taking 8 stroke and distance penaltys. The funny thing is that I actually won on my card with a 93. Every one else was over a hundred.

I had a plan going into Winthrop however I did not follow that plan when I actually got there to play. There was a part of me that was like "you are only going to play this course one time so you might as well go for it!"

I played at Winthrop Saturday after the tourney and shot an 80. However, After every OB shot I simply re-threw from the same spot with a stroke penalty, and I have no clue what the actual ruling for that is. So I had 9 penalty strokes and yeah. Considering that was my first time playing the course, I'm sure I could shoot lower if I played again, but I'll take an 80.

Latest posts