• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What'd you switch to?

I was a buzzz guy for like 4 years, then became a roc guy.

I threw a magnet went to an avair went to a Ion went to a voodoo went back to the Ion.

My bag was:
Drivers = all Innova
Mids and putters = Discraft

My bag is:
Drivers: mix of Dynamic, Lat 64, Westside, Innova
Mids: Vibram, Discraft, Westside
Putters: Discraft.

Went from throwing only 2 brands to 6 this summer.

I started with innova, like most. But I started with only a a couple discs I got from some sporting good store. When I started to realize discs had different flight patterns I went a little bit crazy ordering stuff online. The reason I branched out into different companies was all based on doing a lot of unbiased research. I would get a list of all the possible discs from different companies and then scour the forums to see what people tended to like.... I'd say once you are looking to replace a disc, try a different company you have never tried to get a feel for their mold/plastics. Just be OK spending too much money when you get the bug.

why switch? Are you not happy with your current discs? Are their gaps in your bag? I enjoy throwing nearly all 1 company for the simple reason of its easy to compare discs across their line, whereas its tougher to compare 2 discs from different manufacturers.

this is coming from someone who just spent tons of money over last 6-8 months trying other discs out, and all it got me was a lot of extra discs i don't throw and less money. as well as losing consistency in my game by not trusting the disc i am throwing each time out.

I throw 100% innova, simply because that's what I know, and what I started the game with. Threw a little discraft here and there, but didn't last very long except the hornet. Still a staple in the bag.

hmmmmm 100% huh???

no reason to switch. just next time you add a new slot to the bag try a new disc brand. but dont replace what already works. youll just eventually end up back to throwing them.

hmmmmm 100% huh???

no reason to switch. just next time you add a new slot to the bag try a new disc brand. but dont replace what already works. youll just eventually end up back to throwing them.

Innova doesn't make an os mid. The new rocs suck, gators don't go anywhere, the shark 3 is about the most os mid they have. And I have plenty of open slots. Especially in distance drivers. My mids really need help too!

Innova doesn't make an os mid. The new rocs suck, gators don't go anywhere, the shark 3 is about the most os mid they have. And I have plenty of open slots. Especially in distance drivers. My mids really need help too!

Innova makes lots of fantastic OS mids. theres lots of good gators and rocs out there. you just need to learn how to tell. fyi, what your looking for is probably not in premium plastic...from innova anyway.

before asking what to switch to, i would first identify the slots you feel are missing. then come in and ask specifically what people would suggest for those slots. youll get far more beneficial to you responses.

I started with Innova, switched to Discraft, then realized I was doing myself a disservice by not throwing a mixed bag. There are so many GREAT molds from so many different companies. I see no reason to limit yourself unless your sponsored.

I've bagged all of these discs previously and removed them for one silly reason or another.

D Magnet
Cryztal and D Challenger
Z and X Comet
Z Hornet
Cryztal Drone
Z Stalker
Z AvengerSS
Z Predator
Z and ESP Surge
Z Force
Z Nuke
Z NukeOS

Star Beadless Gator
Star Gator
Champ Roadrunner
Champ Leopard
Champ TL
Champ and Star TeeBirds
Champ Tern
Champ Krait
Star Destroyer

S PD

Proton Ion

Super Soft Voodoo
Soft Warlock

Opto Pure
Opto Havoc
Classic Judge
BioFuzion Trespass

TP King
VIP Sword

...and I'm sure a few more I've forgotten

They were are all great discs. I would have bought 50 more if I had the cash. Luckily I've now met enough disc golfers by now to try before I buy most of the time.

What I switched to/stayed with

4 SS Wizards
ZH Pure

Z Meteor
Z Buzzz
Z Wasp
ESP Zone

2 Icon Patriot
Pinnacle Rival
C PD
Opto XXX

2 Proline Hurricanes
SP Hurricane

I throw a lot of different company's discs, but I've mostly stayed with DC. The reason for that is that most other companies seem to make discs that glide too much. DC seems to fit my style the best. I like to play with power, and not worry about conditions changing my disc's flight. They all make good discs (for the most part. one of the early posts nailed the companies not worth trying), but they all seem to fit a different style. DC makes really good os, glideless, drop and stop discs. Innova makes a lot of good flippy discs, and some glidey stuff too. Lat64 makes some drivers that straight up BOMB, but the signature lat dome does not treat me well in the wind (also, their extra glide puts me 40'+ past the basket every time). I also don't like the + rims that so many lat discs use. Prodigy discs are crazy ... I haven't really figured them out yet, but it seems to me they have the mildest fade without sacrificing hss. Gateway and Vibram make rubber discs; they have good memory (vibram is a little better, imo), and they make for some really good upshot discs. Gateway is also awesome for their variety of plastic feels.

What have I kept in the bag? Spike is in the bag (I'd prefer a Spike that had a different rim) because of the low profile paired with flippiness. Wizard is in the bag; I can find whatever feel I want, and it's just a very solid putter (best in the world.). Zephyr and Condor are in the bag; I don't know where else to find these huge diameter discs.

Other than that, I'm straight DC. Zone, Drone, Nebula, Squall (DGA=DC), Hurricane/Force, and Nukes.

Regardless on which midrange company I switch to...
I always come back to the roc. Once you're addicted to rocs, it's hard to get away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 26
Rocs are awful. So inconsistent. The new 12x flip right.off the shelve and I'd like to throw something easily replacable rather than an exensive roc that's tough.to find.

Rocs are awful. So inconsistent. The new 12x flip right.off the shelve and I'd like to throw something easily replacable rather than an exensive roc that's tough.to find.

They'll just tell you to go buy an older one, cause they're readily accessible for only like 30 bucks, but I actually feel your pain.

Instead of a Roc, try a Legacy Ghost first, and an MVP Vector second, I never stuck with the Ghost, but I carry 3 Vectors now (1st Run Proton, Normal Proton, Neutron) and it's my favorite midrange.

Says the guy with a roc in his sig...
I'll agree that new rocs blow though. Just have to hoard the good ones ;)

I started with all Discraft after a video I saw online by Scott Papa who recommended a Avenger, Buzz and Focus. Couldn't find a focus so I started with an Aviar a friend gave me. Quickly found Gateway putters. I added some more discraft but then I found Latitude 64 and their Opto plastic. I love that stuff. Best feeling disc and I love the glide on their discs.

Then I tried an Anode putter and was blown away. MVP to me is all about control. Less room for error on your throws but much more control when you know how to throw.

So now, my bag is mostly Lat64 and MVP w/ a few Innova(mostly 150g stuff) and Discraft mixed in.

There may be a thread for this, but have no idea what to search for...

I throw 100% innova, simply because that's what I know, and what I started the game with. Threw a little discraft here and there, but didn't last very long except the hornet. Still a staple in the bag. Anways, with that being said, I want to know what you threw at one point and time, and what you switched to and why. Might give me an idea of what to check out! I havent thrown any prodigy, mvp, legacy, DD, nothing besides Innova and DC. Looking to improve my game, so wanna try some new plastic without buying every disc under the sun to test. LMK what changes you made that arent leading to innova or DC!

I'm not going to list all the molds I've thrown in between but here is the bag I started with and my current bag.

Pro Rhyno x3
KC Roc x2
Star Roc
Star Leopard
Pro Leopard
Star Teebird
Champ Teebird
Firebird
Roadrunner
Destroyer

Current bag

MVP Soft Proton Ion x3
MVP Tangent
MVP Axis
Prodigy M2
Prodigy F2
Latitude 64 XXX
MVP Shock
MVP Proton Volt
MVP Neutron Volt
Prodigy D1, D2, D3, D4

That is my base, and I take out whatever I don't think I'll need. Really long course I'll drop a driving putter, calm day I'll lose the XXX, pitch n putt and I ditch the D series.

I'm not going to go over why I made every switch that I did, but I will say that Innova is not the best with consistency, and at times plastic options. I could make a solid bag all Innova, or most any company, but I like to pick and choose favorites.

I am really happy with the MVP putters because they glide better than any premium putter while grabbing the chains as well as any baseline putter, so I get the best of both worlds with rock solid durability you don't get from a pro or dx putter.

Destroyers aren't bad distance discs but they are one of the most inconsistent molds I've thrown. Some are huge meathooks with no glide, some are rollers out of the box. I thrww Millennium Quasars for a long time and they all flew exactly the same....which is funny because Innova molds them.

Prodigy makes very solid molds in a plastic that feels better than the best grippy blends of champion plastic. MVP makes some of the worlds best straight flying molds, and the Proton Volt is my go to control driver.

There is nothing wrong throwing all Innova if you are getting good results, but there are many molds out there that Innova doesn't habe a good equivelant to. Latitude 64 Fuse, MVP Proton Volt, MVP Anode, Prodigy D4, Latitude 64 XXX etc.

I throw a mix of Innova, Lat 64, and Vibram. Occasionally tempted to bring the Buzzz or Volt/Axis back, but sticking with this for now.

I've tried just about everything in terms of manufacturers and discs. In the end, I chose the discs in my bag based upon feel and flight. I like being able to get a consistent release, and I feel that being comfortable is the best way to get repeatable results.

I don't care much for beads, so there are none in my bag. My hands tend to get a little slippery down here in Texas, so I prefer my plastic to be firm but grippy, which rules out a lot of champion / z / opto / whatever type plastic.

I also like being able to easily replace discs in my bag with things I can find at the local stores (innova and buzzz bag) so I don't have to order online.

My bag is simple - which gives me more time to focus on the shot rather than what I'm taking the shot with.

I started out in 2007 with Innova, moved to an area in 2008 where disc golf was starting, and that was mostly what was around (they get most of the orders for baskets and course design so they usually talk to local retailers when a course opens). Now, the PIAS in the next county is recently carrying Discraft, Latitude, and Prodigy as well. Don't like ordering online so I mostly get stuff off people who collect locally and buy a bunch of different stuff. Now I have as probably as much of a mixed bag as I can. Our club started working with Gateway because of the pricing they have on tourney stamps and I am really liking their company. Got a couple of Wizards (hands down the best putters I've ever used), a Karma, and a Slayer and love them all. Also use a Comet and Avenger SS, a Saint, and even have the much reviled Epic in the bag for overhand while still making use of some Innova classics like the Teebird and Banshee. Really every company has some molds that work well, unless you live in an area with many retailers, it's just a game of getting a hold of what you can for the best price.

Says the guy with a roc in his sig...
I'll agree that new rocs blow though. Just have to hoard the good ones ;)

LOL. It's an 11x mold roc. But it's super flippy now, and I bought a stack of 12x kcp's and they are just terrible. Understable as can be, and the plastic stinks. Can't take a beating like the old kcp. Its as cheap as dx nowadays, but they charge you more. I like the shark3 a lot, very easy to control, and can handle a decent wind, but nothing extreme. I have a solid bag, but need to narrow down. I have the mid shots covered, but am only comfortable by carrying 6 mids, really need to narrow it down and find something that is more versatile than what I have now.

I love my destroyers for flex shots and straight to hyzer, but don't have anything that turns SLOWLY, everything I've tried crash and burns. So looking for mids and turnover drivers mostly. May check out a new understable fairway driver as well as a new putter for longer putts. KC aviar is great inside the circle, but 50 but once I'm out a little ways its just to stable and wont carry the distance.

Latest posts